OVA Revised Edition Blog

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Clay
Dangerously Sane

OVA Revised Edition Blog

Post by Clay »

I'm finally making an official announcement about the upcoming Revised Edition through a new blog. This blog will feature previews of new rules, artwork, and other good stuff from the upcoming book. You can check it out at ovarpg.blogspot.com - and then spread the word. ;)
solfuries
Shelled Plebeian

Post by solfuries »

this is just so darn exciting!!!! Mondays just became the best day of the week!
Erinak
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Erinak »

I second -- and look forward to it.
-WARNING! Play at own risk.
StarRaven
Worthy Tortoise

Post by StarRaven »

Just another reason for Mondays to be awesome! I'm pretty excited! *bounces and bookmarks it*
Eisenmann
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Eisenmann »

I'm officially following the OVA blog on mine.
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

Shouldn't there be a news bit on the front page?
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

The original intent was to redesign the website completely first. But as that seems to keep taking longer than I intended, I have finally put up an announcement on the main page.
calibur1
Worthy Tortoise

Post by calibur1 »

As a playtester of the revised edition I have to say that I can't wait for the official release. This is the most anticipated rpg of the year for me.

Love the blog!

calibur1
Father of Dragons
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Father of Dragons »

Clay, this discussion on Encouraging the power-escalation-during-combat anime trope in RPG play on rpg.net seems like something you might want to mull over during the design process, since the matter he discusses is such a staple of shonen manga and anime.
"If that's pure logic I'll take vanilla."
R-90-2
Worthy Tortoise

Post by R-90-2 »

Father of Dragons wrote:Clay, this discussion on Encouraging the power-escalation-during-combat anime trope in RPG play on rpg.net seems like something you might want to mull over during the design process, since the matter he discusses is such a staple of shonen manga and anime.
The thing is, you can't really make it a basic mechanical assumption of the combat system or you lose flexibility. Not to mention that not even all shounen anime/manga follow that Trope (In Fist of the North Star, Kenshiro is rarely ever less than 100% "on" during fights, he just changes strategies).
Father of Dragons
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Father of Dragons »

R-90-2 wrote:The thing is, you can't really make it a basic mechanical assumption of the combat system or you lose flexibility. Not to mention that not even all shounen anime/manga follow that Trope (In Fist of the North Star, Kenshiro is rarely ever less than 100% "on" during fights, he just changes strategies).
But a set of optional rules that could handle that sort of combat would be a nice thing to have in the tool kit.
"If that's pure logic I'll take vanilla."
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

This sounds like the kind of thing the Transformation Ability dreams of at night.

In the cited case, you have a 2-tier transformation; tier 1 is shikai and tier 2 is bankai with sealed form as the norm. Each transformation would add on extra abilities and perks and this way, you can get the simulated power increase without having to invent new mechanics.
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

In fact, this sort of already exists with Miho. It's all fun and games until the wings and the giant gun arm pops out!

But putting it concretely like this has made me sure I want to include an Expanded Notes regarding using Transformation this way. Thanks Joe. You always know how to get to the heart of things. :)

It's also made me more comfortable in my decision to dismiss such a mechanic. I've been reading the forum thread previously mentioned, and have pretty much come to the conclusion most ways to encourage this, mechanically, do not work. Not as a global thing, anyway. So having a way to do it, if you want, is excellent.

The thread has inspired me to create a new Flaw that limits an Attack's use until a character's Health has been reduced by some measure. Gives more options, in the same way a Player could pick Focus as a Weakness or Requirement as a Flaw.
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

Clay wrote:The thread has inspired me to create a new Flaw that limits an Attack's use until a character's Health has been reduced by some measure.
What'll you call it? "Emergency Use Only"? :P
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I was actually considering being snarky and calling it "Break", but that's barely better than your suggestion. ;D