OVA Dicebot for IRC play

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Michael Hopcroft
Worthy Tortoise

OVA Dicebot for IRC play

Post by Michael Hopcroft »

If anyone is familair with programming for Internet relay Chat applications, I am looking for a bot script that will simulate the unique dice mechanic in OVA/Ricochet. This is to enable online play through chat. (fore the resord, i am running a very successful BESm campaign using this method and would love to take a shot at doing something with OVA if I can find players.)
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I am creating a "software toolkit" for OVA that includes a dice-roller, character generator, and a random Japanese name generator. Though it's not for IRC, the dice roller is in working form. If your group is okay with one person having the dice-results, I could send you the mostly-complete executable.
momosnyx
Worthy Tortoise

Post by momosnyx »

Just out of curiosity: What language / tools are you using?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Visual Basic 5 ^^
Andrea from Italy

Post by Andrea from Italy »

I have found a dice-rolling C library at http://kilobug.free.fr/dice2/ . It might be worth to look at it.
Regards,
Andrea
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Unfortunately, I don't think Visual Basic and C are compatible at all. But thanks for looking into it! Probably would've been useful had I know how to program in C.
Andrea
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Andrea »

I am pretty sure they aren't compatible at all :-) But if you find any dice-rolling or calculating algorithm that interests you, and cannot comprehend it, feel free to ask.
Andrea from Italy
solfuries
Shelled Plebeian

Post by solfuries »

Did the OVA tools pack ever get developed? If not, how about the dice generator you were working on. I would love to take a look at it, and really be able to play with some probabilities, however this thread is like 2 years old......
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Hey Sol,

Unfortunately, my programming skills left a lot to be desired, so I was never able to complete it. The dice program is around on my hard drive somewhere. If you're interested in it, just drop me a line via email.

Clay
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

It doesn't seem to be hard to code. I mean, if I knew how to script a bot, I would definitely try to, because the steps are pretty clear.

-create an array of die throws
-sort the array
-find the maximum and throw it back
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I wasn't clear. The DICE program is complete. It's the character generator (that was meant to be included with the die-roller as a package) that I failed at.