Wow!

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

knight
Shelled Plebeian

Wow!

Post by knight »

Hi,
I just bought a copy of OVA Friday at my FLGS (Games & Comics & Stuff in Glen Burnie, MD), and I just had to let you know how impressed I am. The book is beautiful; the layout, the artwork, very clear and evocative. I've always been fond of digest sized books. they're so handy. I particularly liked the way you had the same "cast of characters" throughout. It gave the book an extra something.

As to the game itself, I'd had similar ideas about the dice mechanics, but I'd never gotten around to working anything useful up around it. I haven't had a chance to run anything yet, but it seems like it would be a snap for beginners to learn. I'm not sure if my regular group would go for it. They were raised on D&D, and have an irrational dislike of anime...but, I got them to watch "Buffy" even though they told me "a show named 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' has to blow!" Now they all own every season on DVD 8)
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Wow!

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

knight wrote:Hi,
I just bought a copy of OVA Friday at my FLGS (Games & Comics & Stuff in Glen Burnie, MD), and I just had to let you know how impressed I am. The book is beautiful; the layout, the artwork, very clear and evocative. I've always been fond of digest sized books. they're so handy. I particularly liked the way you had the same "cast of characters" throughout. It gave the book an extra something.

As to the game itself, I'd had similar ideas about the dice mechanics, but I'd never gotten around to working anything useful up around it. I haven't had a chance to run anything yet, but it seems like it would be a snap for beginners to learn. I'm not sure if my regular group would go for it. They were raised on D&D, and have an irrational dislike of anime...but, I got them to watch "Buffy" even though they told me "a show named 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' has to blow!" Now they all own every season on DVD 8)
Welcome to the fold, knight!! We're glad you're here!

I myself am still fairly new to the game...but my reaction was just the same as yours: WOW O_O

TBP
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

Ova is a great game. Welcome!
Watch this and all will become clear...http://tinyurl.com/m7qr3rq
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Welcome to the board, Knight! I'm very flattered, and I hope you enjoy the game! I, too, love digest books. They just seem more maneagable all in all. ^_^

As for your friends, if you can get them to stay their bias against anime long enough to watch some, try to toss some of the grittier anime at them. Ninja Scroll (the original film) seems to be a crowd pleaser among non-anime fans, and I can't imagine any D&D buff not delighting in the Record of Lodoss War OVA. After all, it's based on a Japanese Dungeons and Dragons style RPG campaign! If your group is a bit more cerebral, stuff like Ghost in the Shell is also a good entry into the world of anime.
Bhikku
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Bhikku »

I can't tell you the number of people who I got 'into' anime because of Cowboy Bebop. The big advantage to that series is that the English dubbing has a lot of great performances (which used to be a serious problem - many fiilms & series had bad bad bad dubs - including Lodoss War - but resistant types don't usually care for subtitles if they can avoid 'em), and it's a good light-scifi high-action drama.

If you try it, I'd recommend showing episode #2 "Stray Dog Strut" first; it has a great chase sequence and always gets good laughs, too.
"Sorry, Jimmy! I'm here to smash all your souvinirs!"
Psistrike
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Psistrike »

I had the same reaction after reading the PDF, still waiting on the book. Finally, a system which doesn't have required stats for all characters and just lets you represent the characters the way you wish to.

Great piece of work, Clay. I've reread over some areas and stuff and this is one of the best RPGs I've had the pleasure to buy. Would love to see some more abilities and weaknesses from fans or you Clay. Like how would you do someone with a photographic/eidetic memory, simply consider it a part of a high (+2 or higher) Smart ability or something else?

Was orginally going to wait to join the forum til after I got my print copy, but it has been a little over 2 weeks and got stircrazy just reading the posts on the forum instead of joining in. :oops:
ComicJam
Worthy Tortoise

Post by ComicJam »

@Knight, it has come to my attention that "Scrapped Princess" is a favourite amongst females.... that is if you have any ladies in your group... ;)

If you're after an action movie, "Spriggan" is a top one! :)

Cheers! :D
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Bah, what an oversight. Cowboy Bebop is definitely a great one to convert the uninitiated. ^^

And thanks for all the praise, Psistrike. Makes me warm and fuzzy to hear about people enjoying the game. That was definitely one of my prime goals with OVA, to be able to create the character you wanted to be.

As for Eidetic Memory...you could include it abstractly as part of Smart. If you really wanted to differentiate it as something of importance, just make it Special Ability: Eidetic Memory +2 (or +1 or +3...Use the context of the game to decide how useful it is.)

Concerning the Print Copy...that's an unfortunate side effect of Print on Demand...each book is especially printed for you! So it takes a little more time.

Shipping across the Atlantic has been exceedingly slow as well, so I apologize if you call somewhere across the ocean home.
Wolfson
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Wolfson »

ComicJam wrote:@Knight, it has come to my attention that "Scrapped Princess" is a favourite amongst females.... that is if you have any ladies in your group... ;)
Heh. Well, it depends on the taste of the ladies in question. Yes, the ladies in my group liked Scrapped Princess... But they also liked Full Metal Panic, on the action side of things. As long as there's some semblance of romance, I suppose.

Of course, that means that things like Chobits and Fulll Moon wo Sagashite are a little 'more' favorite. Hmmm... And then my wife also likes Midori no Hibi (Midori Days is the English release).