Entangle

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

drkfanny
Shelled Plebeian

Entangle

Post by drkfanny »

I didn't like the rules for Entangle, so I created my own.

-Entangle Attack(+0): This attack does no damage. Instead, this attack hampers opponent movement. Basic Entangle attacks mostly just cause inconvenience, such as having your arm wrapped in a chain that your opponent holds. Entangle attacks cannot take abilities or flaws that modifies Damage or Knockback. Entangle lasts a number of rounds equal to the ability level. How difficult it is to escape is determined by ability level, DN 6, 8, 10, 12, 15 for levels 1 through 5 respectively. Weapons with entangle can only make entangle attacks
-Entangle 1(+5): For Entangle attacks. Entangle 1 attack hamper offense or defense. When hit with this attack, the target looses either their quick to defense rolls or agile to attack rolls.
-Entangle 2(+10): For Entangle attacks. Entangle 2 attacks hamper both offense and defense. When hit with this attack, the target looses both their quick to defense rolls and agile to attack rolls.
-Entangle 3(+15): For Entangle attacks. Entangle 3 attacks immobilize the target somewhat. When hit with this attack, the target is unable to make either attack or defense rolls.
-Entangle 4(+20): For Entangle attacks. Entangle 4 attacks completely immobilize the target. When hit with this attack, the target is unable to make any attack or defense rolls.

I'm mostly worried that this is to powerful. Any feedback would be great.
JuddG
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Entangle

Post by JuddG »

drkfanny wrote:Weapons with entangle can only make entangle attacks.
Whips and such can be used to have both an entangle attack and a normal attack. Since this is the primary use of such an attack style in fiction (nets being a close second), I don't understand the exclusion.
Judd M. Goswick
Gamemaster
Legion Anime/Gaming Society
drkfanny
Shelled Plebeian

Post by drkfanny »

Those were just the basic Entangle perks I created.

I make two perks for weapons that allow you to make both types of attacks.

-Dual Use(+5): For Entangle weapons only. With this weapon, you can make both Entangle and standard attacks. You can't attack with this weapon while it's being used to entangle.
-Dual Attack(+10): For Entangle weapons only. With this weapon you can make both Entangle and standard attacks. You may attack with this weapon while it's being used to entangle.

I thought that a weapon with basic entangle would be like a net, one with the Dual Use perk would be like a whip, and one with the Dual Attack perk would be a kusari gama.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I don't really see the point in splitting it up into multiple Perks. If you want an entangling attack that does no damage, simply take Decreased Damage until it behaves as such.
drkfanny
Shelled Plebeian

Post by drkfanny »

One of the problems I had with entangle is that an entangle attack doesn't do any damage according to the rules. The entangle perk is fine for weapons where you would want to use the weapon for standard attacks as well as entangle attacks, but a Power Move with entangle will probability only be used for entangle attacks, so there is no reason not to take Decreased Damage until the DT is 0 and use the gain Endurance bonus for other perks.

Example: a level one power move with entangle costs 20 End. Take Decreased Damage 4 times to make the DT 0 and Accurate once and the PM now cost 5 End. Because you took entangle, you were able to decrease the cost by 20 without changing the effectiveness of the attack.

Also, I never understood why after you succeed in a entangle attack that you would then have to hit them again and knock them back for the entangle to be of any use.