Advancement Rules

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

jlbeeh
Shelled Plebeian

Advancement Rules

Post by jlbeeh »

I opted to get the original printing of OVA from drivethrurpg to help support the author and to get a feeling for the system and how it works, knowing that a fair amount of it will change moving to the kickstarter version.

I was reading through advancement and buying up skills is what is confusing me since it looks like advantages will spike pretty quickly. The RAW as I have read them is that if you have 4 exp points and you want to buy up weapon from +1 to +5 you would only have to spend 4 points and get the GM permission. Who should, if they allowed it, beat you upside the head with a hammer. Is this correct or have I misread or skipped a rule somewhere.

Thus far that is my only concern of the system since the rest of it looks really elegant and easy to get in and telling a story.
CursedEmbrace
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Advancement Rules

Post by CursedEmbrace »

jlbeeh wrote:I opted to get the original printing of OVA from drivethrurpg to help support the author and to get a feeling for the system and how it works, knowing that a fair amount of it will change moving to the kickstarter version.

I was reading through advancement and buying up skills is what is confusing me since it looks like advantages will spike pretty quickly. The RAW as I have read them is that if you have 4 exp points and you want to buy up weapon from +1 to +5 you would only have to spend 4 points and get the GM permission. Who should, if they allowed it, beat you upside the head with a hammer. Is this correct or have I misread or skipped a rule somewhere.

Thus far that is my only concern of the system since the rest of it looks really elegant and easy to get in and telling a story.
Hopefully no one minds me copying a small section of the text from the book here but it says:

"To raise an Ability, you must spend as many experience points as the level you wish to achieve. Keep in mind you have to buy each level individually! If your Ability is currently at Level 2, you must purchase Level 3 before buying 4. You can gain new Abilities in the same manner."

That seems pretty cut and dry to me... it says that to get from 1 (which you have) to 5 you'd first need to buy 2 for 2 xp then 3 for 3 and so on which would cost you 14xp in total by the looks... if you already were at level 1 beforehand, that is!

Hope that helped.
jlbeeh
Shelled Plebeian

Re: Advancement Rules

Post by jlbeeh »

which would make sense as that is the point buy system that is given as a character creation method with those rules. I was rereading that section to see if there was anything that I was missing as well. so it looks like if you are using Ground Zero for character creation is the only time were you would get the advantage on a 1 to 1 basis. I am thinking that the issue is that I turned the rules around in my head.