Using OVA for D&D; thoughts?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

MacLeod
Worthy Tortoise

Using OVA for D&D; thoughts?

Post by MacLeod »

What is everyone's thoughts on using OVA for D&D-styled Epic High Fantasy?

What might the pros and cons of using OVA instead of D&D or a clone be?

What would a potential GM of such a campaign need to look out for?

Would the system be fine as it is to handle a dungeon crawl? Traps, hidden doors, treasures, environmental puzzles, etc...

I'd appreciate it if speculation on how Revised impacting this topic would be left out. Unless you are Clay, of course. =P The reason I say this is because I'd like to revisit the topic once Revised has hit our tabletops and when we've got some new things to add or change to what has been said.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: Using OVA for D&D; thoughts?

Post by Clay »

The main problem with using OVA for D&D is it, by its nature, is not a "treadmill" type of system. One of the great features of D&D is starting out as a fledgling adventurer and slowly accruing powers, treasure, and magic.

OVA, on the other hand, is more about telling a story and creating full-fledged characters. Of course, there's room for growth, but a character is more likely to start with their "iconic" weapon and keep it for the duration of the campaign.

If you were still gung-ho on the idea, some tips:

1) Divide "gear" from the character. Never stat up attacks, or armor, or the like on your character sheet. That way it's easy to swap them out at a whim. Just make a new box for equipment, and every item should have a list of Abilities/Weaknesses it inherently grants. (A Battle Axe may be +2 Damage, but -1 to Attack Rolls. Armor may give an Armor bonus but a Slow penalty, etc.)

2) Consider making a "career" ability and using it to represent levels. When a character "levels up" they get a +1 to everything pertaining to their career, whether that's fighter/thief/mage/acrobat. (Yes, that was an AD&D job at some point. I'm pretty sure anyway).

Good luck!
MacLeod
Worthy Tortoise

Post by MacLeod »

Cool. :)

For me, the advancement issue doesn't worry me too much. I'm more interested in doing explore > fight > loot. Your suggestion concerning equipment and careers sounds really handy though!

How do you think the health/endurance system will hold up in a dungeon crawl scenario?
MacLeod
Worthy Tortoise

Post by MacLeod »

I'm getting quite a few ideas about an OVA D&D hack... Could be pretty easy once Revised comes out! Excitement building steadily!