Super OVA

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

calibur1
Worthy Tortoise

Super OVA

Post by calibur1 »

I'm currently running a space fantasy mini/test camapign in OVA. We're into our 6th gaming session with approximately 4 more sessions to go. I'm playing in a Mutants & Masterminds 2e game, and I'm looking to begin work on a new campaign when mine ends. Has anyone run a superhero game in OVA yet?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Someone, with the intent of bashing OVA and games like it, once commented anime RPGs were nothing but supers games in disguise.

While I disagreed with much he said, this one line has the essence of truth to it. There's no reason why you can't have a supers game with OVA, and it should work just fine.

The main difference between an anime game and a supers game to me is the treatment of the every day guy. In anime, a luckless geek can, miraculously, dodge attacks by skilled space assassins and even turn the tides on them. In supers games, on the other hand, super heroes are leaps and bounds better than their normal counterparts, and any kind of mixing will likely result in very dead geeks.

If you prefer something more like the latter, simply reduce the everyman to one die, leaving the normal two-dice default to super heroes. Should more clearly delineate the two.
calibur1
Worthy Tortoise

Post by calibur1 »

If you prefer something more like the latter, simply reduce the everyman to one die, leaving the normal two-dice default to super heroes. Should more clearly delineate the two.
Oh that wasn't even a concern of mine. After running my current OVA campaign, no one doubts how better hero characters are over extra and secondary characters. My curiosity is how others may have handled powers? For example: For fun I converted my hero from M&M into OVA. I allowed a maximum of two level 3 abilities and one level 4 ability and used the Ground Zero rule. What I ended up with was a very close approximation comparatively.
Someone, with the intent of bashing OVA and games like it, once commented anime RPGs were nothing but supers games in disguise.

While I disagreed with much he said, this one line has the essence of truth to it. There's no reason why you can't have a supers game with OVA, and it should work just fine.
I can't see how calling an anime game a "supers game in disguise" an insult or bash? I can say the same thing about D&D. If you're playing a character that has extraordinary qualities above and beyond a "everyday guy" for that game, then you're playing a superhero more or less. You may, or may not, be wearing a cap, but just by playing a character that is willing to stand up in the face of adversity makes that character a "hero". I don't see what that person's foundation for an arguement was? It seems he just doesn't like anime, and that was that.

I'm not actually looking to run it as an anime, but considering how many anime/manga characters are similar to "superheroes" it may just as well end up that way. I don't see anyone in the group having a problem with it.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I think the original point was that anime RPGs in general were needless and their role already filled by better "supers" games.