Power Perks and Flaws

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

jakk9000
Worthy Tortoise

Power Perks and Flaws

Post by jakk9000 »

Hi I am wondering if characters can apply Power Perks and Flaws to Martial Arts?

Weapons and Power Moves can use them it makes Martial Arts seem useless compared to Weapon as Martial Arts can't have Power Perks the way its listed in the book.
calibur1
Worthy Tortoise

Post by calibur1 »

Hi I am wondering if characters can apply Power Perks and Flaws to Martial Arts?

Weapons and Power Moves can use them it makes Martial Arts seem useless compared to Weapon as Martial Arts can't have Power Perks the way its listed in the book.
The quick answer is no.

Martial arts doesn't expend endurance, and since Perks and Flaws regulation is based on endurance, you can't apply them. Assuming you brought this topic up because you want to pull off some really cool martial arts moves, that is what Power Moves are. Considering that you can have an unlimited number of Power Moves under the cost of one Ability means that you can literally create an entire martial arts style for your character with various kicks, punches, and what have you, rather cost efficiently.

The Martial Arts Ability on its own is hardly useless. It is the representation of a lean, trained master who doesn't necessarily need to lift trucks in order to do damage with his bare hands. Think of all those king-fu movies. The characters in them don't usually lift steel girders, but their hands can penetrate cinder blocks. That's what the Martial Arts Ability is.
jakk9000
Worthy Tortoise

Post by jakk9000 »

ahh ok thanks for clearing that up.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Thanks for taking up the slack over the weekend, Calibur! Your answers were quite verbose and spot on. :)
calibur1
Worthy Tortoise

Post by calibur1 »

No problem, Clay. I love these rules. Now ask me to explain a grapple in 3.5 and I'm outta here! LOL
jakk9000
Worthy Tortoise

Post by jakk9000 »

Ohh grapples in 3.5 are fun I know the rules for it. I had to have someone to test it on but i figured it out after wards.