Aspects Only Question

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Sister Machine Gun
Shelled Plebeian

Aspects Only Question

Post by Sister Machine Gun »

You've got a download on Wise Turtle someplace that list the Abilities & Weaknesses without the rules. I like that very much. My question is will it hurt the game to use that list instead of the rules in the "Abilities And Weaknesses" chapter? That way I'm not restricted to the actual rule of an aspect and it is more open to interpretation when playing.

Do you've got any suggestions to help play this way?
& Brother BOMB fishing in the rivers of life.
Most call me SisterMG but you can call me Calamity.
Father of Dragons
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Father of Dragons »

I would think if if your players are OK with it and you don't mind ruling on the fly, I don't see a big problem. However, at every roll you're going to have to at least give it a moment's thought if any players' ability or weakness applies right then. The advantages of the rules for these things is that the players can know and apply the effects without asking the GM.

A minor issue is that the downloadable lists are missing the advantages and disadvantages from the first page of each section.
"If that's pure logic I'll take vanilla."
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

You don't need to worry about "breaking" the game. OVA is not terribly concerned with nitpicking balance between this Ability and that. It's quite easy to see that a lot of Abilities are much more useful than others.

That said, FoD brings up a good point. The rules are a comfortable guideline. It makes concrete what each Ability does. When you're winging it, it's going to put a lot of stress on you to make decisions during play. And I foresee one smart aleck player or another calling you out when you interpret an Ability two different ways eventually.

Just go with your gut. It'll work out.