Cover vs. Rapid Strikes

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Cover vs. Rapid Strikes

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

Ok, so I ran into a problem the last game I ran. Here's the basics:

The PCs are being shot at with SMGs [Weapon +2 (Ranged, Rapid Strikes, Inaccurate)] while behind cover. Since they have already acted in that round, they can't roll defense (simplification, there are options, but they didn't want to take 'em).

Question: If a character is behind cover, can they roll just the cover modifier? The justification is that, unless you use an action to defend against Rapid Strikes, your die pool is effectively zero. So zero + cover modifiers = defense die pool.

It seemed to work out pretty well for my group, but I was wondering if any of you had any ideas on how to deal with it?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

TBP
JuddG
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Cover vs. Rapid Strikes

Post by JuddG »

It sounds pretty good to me. Cover should count for something (also, drama dice, miracles, etc) and this is as good a way to handle it as any.

Now, as a player, I would consider one of the group taking one for the team by doing some "counterattack" action. Provided the designated hero wins the attack, our troubles are over - if not, we get the cover dice.

I love a well-timed counterattack! It is a gamble, but the payoff is like hitting the jackpot! :o
Judd M. Goswick
Gamemaster
Legion Anime/Gaming Society
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

This isn't a scenario I've ever thought about. But yes, simply using the Cover dice seems reasonable. I wouldn't include the two dice default, I don't think, since that's "part" of the Character who can't defend.

Also, Judd: You can't Counter in this example because, technically, countering is a Defense action, and they've already acted this round. (thus, forgoing their ability to have a defense action due to the Rapid Strikes attacks).
JuddG
Worthy Tortoise

Post by JuddG »

Clay wrote:You can't Counter in this example because, technically, countering is a Defense action, and they've already acted this round. (thus, forgoing their ability to have a defense action due to the Rapid Strikes attacks).
Couldn't they just lose their next action to take the defensive action of counterattacking? It is a situation where they would double-up on lost actions, I suppose.

Now, it is a major risk (if allowed), since it exposes the acting person to likely forgo some if not all of the cover as well as expose themselves to the potential for truck-tons of damage...
Judd M. Goswick
Gamemaster
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

JuddG wrote:
Clay wrote:You can't Counter in this example because, technically, countering is a Defense action, and they've already acted this round. (thus, forgoing their ability to have a defense action due to the Rapid Strikes attacks).
Couldn't they just lose their next action to take the defensive action of counterattacking? It is a situation where they would double-up on lost actions, I suppose.

Now, it is a major risk (if allowed), since it exposes the acting person to likely forgo some if not all of the cover as well as expose themselves to the potential for truck-tons of damage...
Yes, they could lose their next action, but my players didn't want to. Any other character could, yes, but the example characters didn't want to.

^_^

TBP
JuddG
Worthy Tortoise

Post by JuddG »

TheBouncyPherret wrote:Yes, they could lose their next action, but my players didn't want to. Any other character could, yes, but the example characters didn't want to.
Understood, but I think they missed a chance for some real heroic fireworks. :wink: My only point was that it takes only one of them to finish the deal...

...consider them all on notice. :lol:
Judd M. Goswick
Gamemaster
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

JuddG wrote:
TheBouncyPherret wrote:Yes, they could lose their next action, but my players didn't want to. Any other character could, yes, but the example characters didn't want to.
Understood, but I think they missed a chance for some real heroic fireworks. :wink: My only point was that it takes only one of them to finish the deal...

...consider them all on notice. :lol:
Tis true...but they held their actions to do some equally impressive stunts of their own! ^_^

Needless to say, one of the grunts got knocked the f' out with a well-aimed trashcan lid to the face! That, in turn distracted the others enough for the second PC to do a mad-dash style flying jump-kick to take out the leader, thus demoralizing the rest of the mooks. Ahh, the "clean-up" was grand! lol

TBP
JuddG
Worthy Tortoise

Post by JuddG »

TheBouncyPherret wrote:Needless to say, one of the grunts got knocked the f' out with a well-aimed trashcan lid to the face!
Ha! This one quote has redeemed your players in my eyes. :wink:

Sounds like they had a good time whacking evil for fun and profit.
Judd M. Goswick
Gamemaster