Threat Value Questions

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Threat Value Questions

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

Hi, I'm fairly new to OVA...just heard about it earlier today, and bought the pdf online....and I have to say, I really like what I've read.

But, I'm a little confused on how to calculate Threat Value, I've gone through a few of the Sample NPCs, and can't seem to get the same numbers you have for them. I'm wondering if you could give an example from the book, but work it out for us to see, because I'm a bit lost.

I'll go through Ancel, since he has relatively few special cases, and at only 15, he should be fairly easy to calculate.

DT 4(1+pistol 3)
Def 3(Quick 1+Defense 2)
Atk 6(Agile 3+Combat 3)
HP N/A
End N/A

This only comes to 13, two shy of the 15 listed.

Thanks for your time!!

TBP
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Glad you like what you see! I hope to continue hearing from you, but for now, let's tackle this Threat Value quandary.
OVA Rules wrote:Simply add the following: The highest Damage Total the character can achieve, the highest Defense Roll the character can make, the highest Attack Roll, and any Bonuses or Penalties to Health and Endurance.
In your example, you're only adding the total of BONUSES to Defense and Attack Rolls. Keep in mind these rolls include the two-dice default. You also did not include Ancel's Frail -2.

Your math should read as:

DT 4 (1 + Pistol 3)
Defense 5 (Quick 1 + Defense 2 + Default 2)
Attack 8 (Agile 3 + Combat Skill 3 + Default 2)
Health -2 (Frail - 2)
Endurance 0
--------------
Which is 4 + 5 + 8 - 2 = 15

Threat Value is slightly confusing, and people have complained in the past that its section is not explained verbosely enough. Unfortunately, page restrictions did not allow me to expand on it.

Hope that helps. ^_^
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

Clay wrote: Glad you like what you see! I hope to continue hearing from you
That's a dangerous statement, Clay...inviting me to keep talking...it's like inviting a Vampire into your house. Well, I don't suck blood, but I do talk enough to make your ears bleed, does that count? ^_^
Clay wrote: In your example, you're only adding the total of BONUSES to Defense and Attack Rolls. Keep in mind these rolls include the two-dice default. You also did not include Ancel's Frail -2.
Thanks for the clarification, I think it makes more sense. I'm gonna go back and figure out a few of the other's TVs, and see if I'm smarter now ~_^

TBP
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

You likely won't come up with exact results for certain NPCs. I "padded" NPC Threat Values that I felt had useful enough Abilities to make them tougher to fight. The rules say you can do as much. ^^
BM15
Shelled Plebeian

Post by BM15 »

Wow, how did I miss this post. Thanks for answering one of my big questions too Clay.

I ran a few things over in my head and decided that things like Armor and Unnatural Weaknesses should be added in as well at Rank. Barrier I don't add as it costs Endurance (though Incorporeal should be added at +1 for Rank 4 and +2 form Rank 5 as that is a dirt cheap auto-miss).

Any other suggestions as to what should factor in?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I believe I gave a +1 to Shadowman for his Barrier Ability. Endurance or no, the ability to negate attacks seemed a worthy bonus to the TV. Similar "Why won't you die?!" Abilities like Heal could also warrant +'s.

In the end, the number is a very loose estimate at best. If you're nitpicking a point or two, you're probably imagining the concept wrong. It's just so you don't throw canaries to the lions (or vise versa.) ^_^
FrankJScott
Exalted Amphibian

Excellent Google Indexing Guide

Post by FrankJScott »

To the man inquiring about fast indexing in google, backlinks indexing tools, major search engines can easily crawl, instant backlink indexer, google find links to site, my website is not ranking in google, index other search engines, ask google to reindex page, submit url to all search engines, seo and backlinks, I highly suggest this read this post here on google indexing info or console google seo, indexing pages on google, check if google has indexed my site, understanding google search results, the importance of backlinks in seo, google search console reindex site, free backlink indexing tool, domain index checker, url indexing google, no index no follow meta tag, not to mention this click this on google indexing site not to mention console web google, my blog is not indexed by google, submit to google search engine, google fast indexing, ranking in search engine, new website search, purpose of google search console, check if site is indexed by google, google is not crawling my website, website not coming up in google search, and don't forget this additional resources on google indexing site which is also great. Also, have a look at this awesome google indexing link not to mention index on website, google search console guidelines, index checker online, force google to index site, search for backlinks using google, prevent google crawling website, url search console, submit url to google search engine, google search console crawl, google crawling indexing and ranking, alongside all this clicking here on google indexing info with find links to your site, like google search engine, website submission, google remove index, website not showing on google search, indexing search, google live test, index noindex, submit website for indexing, submit url to google without signing in, for good measure. Check more @ High Rated Daily Sport Predictions Website 0a48362
FrankJScott
Exalted Amphibian

Top Dogs Supplements For Joints Guide

Post by FrankJScott »

In response to the guy talking about Pet herbal supplements for dogs with anxiety, Pet herbal supplements for dogs with joint problems, Pet herbal supplements for cats with sleep issues, Pet energy supplements, Pet brain support supplements, Pet herbal supplements for hunting dogs, Pet herbal supplements for emotional support cats, I highly recommend this use this link about dog skin allergy treatment info or Pet herbal supplements for guard dogs, Pet herbal supplements for hunting dogs, Natural pet supplements, Pet herbal supplements for kittens, Pet herbal supplements for cats, Pet herbal supplements for drug detection cats, Pet digestive supplements, together with this moved here on dog skin allergy treatment details together with Pet calming with herbs, Pet herbal supplements for search and rescue cats, Pet herbal supplements for cats with sleep issues, Pet digestive health with herbs, treatment for cushings disease in dogs, Pet herbal supplements for herding cats, Pet herbal supplements for cats with kidney problems, on top of this on yahoo for dog coughing info which is also great. Also, have a look at this useful petz park advice as well as Pet herbal supplements for large dogs, Pet bone support supplements, Pet herbal supplements for cats with skin and coat problems, Pet herbal supplements for weaning kittens, Pet herbal supplements for skin and coat health, Pet wellness supplements, Pet allergy supplements, not forgetting sites such as this recommended you read about natural dog company forum not to mention Pet dental supplements, Pet calming support supplements, Herbal medicine for cats, Pet athletic supplements, Pet herbal supplements for mushing dogs, redirected here for on top of Pet calming supplements, Pet health supplements, Pet herbal supplements for cats with anxiety, Pet skin and coat supplements, kidney failure in dogs, for good measure. Check more @ Updated TAJIR4D Info a683_b3