Mecha?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

nedpatrick
Shelled Plebeian

Mecha?

Post by nedpatrick »

Hey Everyone,

I'm excited for the release of the new edition. While I am waiting, can the experienced players tell me how well OVA does mecha combat? Thanks.

Ned
StarRaven
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Mecha?

Post by StarRaven »

OVA does mecha combat as well as it does any other sort of combat. (Very well, in my opinion.)

It's no different than any other sort of combat.
nedpatrick
Shelled Plebeian

Post by nedpatrick »

StarRaven wrote:OVA does mecha combat as well as it does any other sort of combat. (Very well, in my opinion.)

It's no different than any other sort of combat.
Cool. I didn't know if it had any mech-specific mechanics in it. Looking forward to the release!

Ned
StarRaven
Worthy Tortoise

Post by StarRaven »

There's nothing really specific to mecha, but mecha can be easily built in the existing system. I ran a crazy space hijinks sort of game and a couple of the characters made mechs. They worked just fine. :3

You just build the mecha like it's a character. :wink:
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Which can cause it's own type of issues. After all, how much damage does a 30 foot long beam cannon do compared to a 5+ ft person?
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
CursedEmbrace
Worthy Tortoise

Post by CursedEmbrace »

Chris Brady wrote:Which can cause it's own type of issues. After all, how much damage does a 30 foot long beam cannon do compared to a 5+ ft person?
Well, that's where the idea of 'scale' comes in I suppose, which is a part of the new book and has been discussed somewhere on the site before I think.

In the case of a mech firing some super laser at one of its gigantic-mecha-kin, you'd likely use whatever DX the attack has as normal, but if it fired at a small guy you might decide, because of the difference of scale you might give the attack more dice to roll, or give it more damage, or both.

Conversely, if the little man attacked the mech you may give it additional levels of Armoured or similar to compensate for the scale difference.
StarRaven
Worthy Tortoise

Post by StarRaven »

Yes, that would be the time to use Scale. If one combatant has an overwhelming advantage, the book recommends giving them a +5. The example in the book is a guy trying to outrun a tank on flat ground -- no matter how fast the guy is or how slow the tank is, it's still a vehicle, and thus has an advantage. On the other hand, if they're trying to maneuver on a crowded street, because of sheer size, the tank has an inherent disadvantage. If a mecha is shooting a power beam at a normal human, give it +5 (or more) to its damage multiplier. You might also give it a penalty to its attack roll, since it's trying to target something extremely small.

However, in situations like this, my old GM had a rule of thumb. He called it The Chunky Salsa Rule. If, at any point, a character is hit by an attack or put in a situation in which he would realistically be reduced to the consistency of chunky salsa, we are not going to bother rolling damage.