OVA Revised Magic Question

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

jbs416s
Shelled Plebeian

OVA Revised Magic Question

Post by jbs416s »

I'm looking @ the sample Auren player book and I'm not understanding the purpose of the levels added to arcane magic. It doesn't seem to relate to number of spells or power of spells, or is there any description to it's purpose in the ability discussion at the end of the player book. My game group is wanting to play a short demo with the 3 character books but we can't seem to figure out this question.

Thanks in advance.
CursedEmbrace
Worthy Tortoise

Re: OVA Revised Magic Question

Post by CursedEmbrace »

jbs416s wrote:I'm looking @ the sample Auren player book and I'm not understanding the purpose of the levels added to arcane magic. It doesn't seem to relate to number of spells or power of spells, or is there any description to it's purpose in the ability discussion at the end of the player book. My game group is wanting to play a short demo with the 3 character books but we can't seem to figure out this question.

Thanks in advance.
Well I can't be 100% sure if this is still the case, since I'm not Clay but in the previous edition levels of the Arcane Magic perk only seem to determine the cost (in Endurance) of trying to cast a spell initially (though this also depends on the spell's "Level" and is cross-matched with the caster's Arcane Magic level to determine cost) and has no bearing on the number of spells you may seem to know.

I think :P ... sorry, still a newb around here and to this system but that's what I'm reading anyway.
jbs416s
Shelled Plebeian

Post by jbs416s »

Cursed,

Thanks, but I'm not sure if that is it since the individual endurance is listed next to each spell.

+3 Magic, Arcane
Mana Shield (Barrier +2; 10+ Endurance)
Wings of Dezantis (Flight +3; 10 Endurance)
Feeblemind (Intimidate +3; 10 Endurance)
Breath (Life Support +2; 5 Endurance)
Atlas Arm (Strong +4; 20 Endurance)
Hasten (Quick +3; 10 Endurance)

So i don't see the correlation, so hopefully Clay will have time to answer. I can pretty much see the mechanics at work with everything else since I have first edition too.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Your Level in Magic does in fact only affect the Endurance cost for a given copied Ability. The higher your level, the cheaper your spells become. It's just Auren's are pre-calculated for you in his spell list.

So, theoretically, you COULD have unlimited spells (in the same way you can have unlimited Attacks)...but that's not a very believable character.
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Clay wrote:Your Level in Magic does in fact only affect the Endurance cost for a given copied Ability. The higher your level, the cheaper your spells become. It's just Auren's are pre-calculated for you in his spell list.
Ok, so someone with Magic Arcane 1 can also have, say, Atlas Arm, but they pay through the nose for it endurance wise?
CursedEmbrace
Worthy Tortoise

Post by CursedEmbrace »

cassius335 wrote:
Clay wrote:Your Level in Magic does in fact only affect the Endurance cost for a given copied Ability. The higher your level, the cheaper your spells become. It's just Auren's are pre-calculated for you in his spell list.
Ok, so someone with Magic Arcane 1 can also have, say, Atlas Arm, but they pay through the nose for it endurance wise?
Well yeah, if I'm reading the table right a person with Arcane Magic lv.1 using Atlas Arm would have to pay 80 Endurance for it, instead of 20... I think... using the first edition table anyway.
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

CursedEmbrace wrote:
cassius335 wrote:
Clay wrote:Well yeah, if I'm reading the table right a person with Arcane Magic lv.1 using Atlas Arm would have to pay 80 Endurance for it, instead of 20... I think... using the first edition table anyway.
Assuming that hasn't changed much between editions... yikes.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Yikes indeed, but a magical newbie is never forbidden from casting a difficult, inspiring spell...it's just dreadfully costly for him to do so.
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

Clay wrote:Yikes indeed, but a magical newbie is never forbidden from casting a difficult, inspiring spell...it's just dreadfully costly for him to do so.
Unless said newbie is also secretly an Endurance Reserve that can only be unlocked by her love interest who is also her magical familiar and OH GOD I SPOILED SOMETHING DIDN'T I D8
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

I heard that game getting bad reviews...
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Chris Brady wrote:I heard that game getting bad reviews...
Eh? Have you been hacked?
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

cassius335 wrote:
There's a video game out now, with that very premise. Sorta.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Chris Brady wrote:
cassius335 wrote:
There's a video game out now, with that very premise. Sorta.
Aaah. Fair enough.

And I assume you mean Time & Eternity (love interest turned familiar), in which case yes, the reviews have not been kind. Which is a shame as the premise is fantastic...
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Reminds me a bit of Thousand Arms, which was a rather ambitious PSX game with huge, anime-like sprites (check), lots of voice acting (check), a party full of girls with date sim-like mechanics (check), along with potentially interesting battle systems and ideas (check), that ultimately combine for a not very good game (aaaand check.)

It's too bad, because I really wanted to like Thousand Arms, and I felt like Time & Eternity was a missed opportunity, too. Banking on style over substance, I guess.
Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Atmo »

Clay wrote:Reminds me a bit of Thousand Arms, which was a rather ambitious PSX game with huge, anime-like sprites (check), lots of voice acting (check), a party full of girls with date sim-like mechanics (check), along with potentially interesting battle systems and ideas (check), that ultimately combine for a not very good game (aaaand check.)

It's too bad, because I really wanted to like Thousand Arms, and I felt like Time & Eternity was a missed opportunity, too. Banking on style over substance, I guess.
I was thinking in that game too before going to sleep, and the conclusion isn't a nice one. Animations are always on loop, when characters talk they NEED to use their signature move/expression, like touching the hair or making a face while blinking... Strange, and uncomfortable.

At least SMT IV have a magic system which is very easy to translate to OVA.