Character writeups?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Clay
Dangerously Sane

Character writeups?

Post by Clay »

This was originally brought up by Michael Hopcroft, but now with the new thread on possible Guilty Gear writeups, I felt I needed to officially address it.

Back in "the day," me and my brother had a lot of fun reading various character writeups for the Hero game system. One site I know had everything from super heroes to anime characters and even one from The Princess Bride. It's something that's just fun, and really, is probably part of the reason many of you bought OVA: to recreate your favorite anime.

I would love to host something of this sort, but I'm put in a bit of a legal pickle. To be technical, it would be illegal for me to host any writeup without owning a license to the animation the character derives from. This is actually a grey area in the same league as fan art and fan fiction. Most companies don't care and view it more as free advertising.

The reason that I am concerned, though, is that licensed anime RPGs are becoming more commonplace. I'm not so sure if people like Guardians of Order would appreciate paying exorbiant licensing fees while I hosted more or less the same thing without paying a dime.

So here's what I propose:

A) Someone can create such a site and I will link it directly from Wise Turtle Publishing. In this way, if any one has a problem, WTP could not be held directly accountable.

B) I could create a new message board for this purpose. The forum is not hosted on the Wise Turtle Publishing site, but it still might be seen in a bad light.

Either way, I would request everyone to not display writeups of characters from already licensed anime.
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Character writeups?

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

Clay wrote:This was originally brought up by Michael Hopcroft, but now with the new thread on possible Guilty Gear writeups, I felt I needed to officially address it.

Back in "the day," me and my brother had a lot of fun reading various character writeups for the Hero game system. One site I know had everything from super heroes to anime characters and even one from The Princess Bride. It's something that's just fun, and really, is probably part of the reason many of you bought OVA: to recreate your favorite anime.

I would love to host something of this sort, but I'm put in a bit of a legal pickle. To be technical, it would be illegal for me to host any writeup without owning a license to the animation the character derives from. This is actually a grey area in the same league as fan art and fan fiction. Most companies don't care and view it more as free advertising.

The reason that I am concerned, though, is that licensed anime RPGs are becoming more commonplace. I'm not so sure if people like Guardians of Order would appreciate paying exorbiant licensing fees while I hosted more or less the same thing without paying a dime.

So here's what I propose:

A) Someone can create such a site and I will link it directly from Wise Turtle Publishing. In this way, if any one has a problem, WTP could not be held directly accountable.

B) I could create a new message board for this purpose. The forum is not hosted on the Wise Turtle Publishing site, but it still might be seen in a bad light.

Either way, I would request everyone to not display writeups of characters from already licensed anime.
Clay, I might be able to help out here. I have been working on my website, and I can host anything you want there. I already have a message board set-up, so things can start to go there whenever they become available.

I will be making a dedicated OVA section, but it's not yet up. When it is, y'all will be able to email me anything, and I'll put it up in a .pdf file for the world to see. When it becomes available, I'll let y'all know!!

I hope this helps.

TBP
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Thanks TBP! It'd be the first OVA "fansite" I know of. So that's kind of exciting. ^_^
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

hey, dont forget about my writeups! I revised some of my old ones and made another (old). I planed on making a DNAngel writeups but I dident have the time. I also have a few megaman writeups on my hard drive.
Watch this and all will become clear...http://tinyurl.com/m7qr3rq