OVA Mecha: Playtesting?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Clay
Dangerously Sane

OVA Mecha: Playtesting?

Post by Clay »

As a basic draft of the new mecha rules nears completion, I've been considering releasing it to a select group of playtesters to toy with. So what do you think? Is anyone interested?

If there's enough people into the idea, I'll create an extra playtest forum for that purpose.

If there's not, well, I'll just have to keep it to myself! >:P
momosnyx
Worthy Tortoise

Post by momosnyx »

Can't get my group to play in a Mecha game, but being the nitpicking type I am, I'd volunteer to proof-read.
Killer GM
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Killer GM »

Man, I have got to read this forum more often...

I think I could get a few people in my group to help playtest a mecha game...they all love OVA, and I think they'd love to playtest a book for it.
jblittlefield
Worthy Tortoise

Re: OVA Mecha: Playtesting?

Post by jblittlefield »

Clay wrote:As a basic draft of the new mecha rules nears completion, I've been considering releasing it to a select group of playtesters to toy with. So what do you think? Is anyone interested?

If there's enough people into the idea, I'll create an extra playtest forum for that purpose.

If there's not, well, I'll just have to keep it to myself! >:P
I'm interested. My group is not interested in playing BESM or RandomAnime any longer, so we started an OVA campaign last month. They really like the rules and have all expressed an interest in the mecha rules. I have 25 years of GMing experience and combines, the group has over 150 years of general gaming experience -- I'm pretty sure we could pick it apart. ;)
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Cool deal, guys. ^^ Happy to see the interest.

I'm going to attempt to get OVA in print by the 12th of July. Once it's fully behind me, I'll be working on a proper playtest forum and documents.

Sound good? ^^

BTW, Good to see you again, Killer GM! Though didn't you say you were writing a RPG.net review for OVA? -.o Could be wrong about that though. *laughs* Mind's like a sieve sometimes.
momosnyx
Worthy Tortoise

Post by momosnyx »

jblittlefield wrote:My group is not interested in playing BESM or RandomAnime any longer, so we started an OVA campaign last month.
Just out of curiosity: What's better (in you group's view) with OVA than with BESM & RA?
jblittlefield
Worthy Tortoise

Post by jblittlefield »

momosnyx wrote:
jblittlefield wrote:My group is not interested in playing BESM or RandomAnime any longer, so we started an OVA campaign last month.
Just out of curiosity: What's better (in you group's view) with OVA than with BESM & RA?
It's not a question of being "better", but rather more that my group likes "open" systems. See, most of us have been playing for more than 15 years (I'm the grognard of the group with almost 28 years in wargaming and RPGs) and we don't need every little thing spelled out for us. OVA is pretty simple and allows you to customize things quite easily to suit your style of play. The big turn-offs for us as far as BESM and RA were concerned were the laundry lists of abilities -- I don't like having to choose 15+ abilities to define my character when 3 or 4 and a detailed character background can accomplish the same thing.
momosnyx
Worthy Tortoise

Post by momosnyx »

I should have put that "better" in quotation marks :)
Thanks for the info. Interesting point of view. I own RA & BESM. I found RA to crunchy for my taste (8 attributes, lots of skills, lots of rules). BESM seemed ok to me.
ChiPsiUpsilon
Shelled Plebeian

Post by ChiPsiUpsilon »

I'd like to playtest OVA Mecha. :P I always lamented the lack of mecha rules when I was writing my adventure for the contest.
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

I could take a look at the rules when a skeleton is made. I dont have as much experience as the others, but me and my brother have been playing story based gaming since I was 10 (ok, so i am 20 now... but still).
Watch this and all will become clear...http://tinyurl.com/m7qr3rq
jblittlefield
Worthy Tortoise

Post by jblittlefield »

Clay, any progress on this? I know my group is itching to give it a look...besides, I'm also considering your licensing options for a future product. :)
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Hey, JB! Sorry about all the delays. The whole hurricane situation has me for such a loop, and in general, so far behind, that progress has been next to nil. When I get back on track, I'll be posting more info on how to get a playtest document when I can get to that point.

Thank you for your continued interest. ^_^ As for licensing, feel free to email me any time with any questions you have. The licensing guidelines as listed on the website are guides, and I'm willing to negotiate. ^^
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

Hey Clay. You told me to post here about interest in Mecha playtesting.

Umm......Post??

Let me know what else to do!!

TBP
Shatterclaw
Shelled Plebeian

Playtesting?

Post by Shatterclaw »

Hello,

I just picked up my copy of Oav,

Started reading it.

So what dose it take to be a playtester?
Wolfson
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Wolfson »

I'd also be interested in the playtesting of the mecha rules. In fact, the first OVA campaign that I had in mind could actually use them, so I've been pondering the core rules to try to figure out how I wanted to handle the concept.

Um, for the resume side of things, I've been gaming since right before the release of the first Star Wars movie, back in '77. That would be... um... a lot of years. Most of my group is of a similar age, and have been gaming almost as long, and is tempered by having some younger people (like offspring of the first-generation gamers) to infuse new ideas and opinions.

And we're all anime fans to top it off...

I wouldn't have to twist arms very hard in order to get them to playtest something (in fact, one of my guys playtested the third edition of D&D), especially mecha rules, since I've got Battletech fans in the group, too.