What do you want to see in OVA Fantasy/Mecha?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Clay
Dangerously Sane

What do you want to see in OVA Fantasy/Mecha?

Post by Clay »

As progress continues on OVA's upcoming genre books, I'm getting more concrete ideas on what I will be including in each of them. That said, I really want to know what all you want to see in them, since, after all, you're the people who are going to play it...maybe. ^_^

So far

OVA Mecha
New Tactical rules featuring new tactical and mecha Abilities and Weaknesses
Rules for handling scale

OVA Fantasy
Premade spell lists and magic systems
Equipment lists and magic items
Experience "level" rules

Anything else you guys can think of? Of course, each will also include two full-fledged settings. (This differs from the three indicated on the site. Decided to cut down on quantity and improve the quality of each setting.)
Stormfalcon
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Stormfalcon »

As far as a mecha supplement is concerned, a couple things come to mind. First off would be more comprehensive construction rules for a mecha. It doesn't need to be overly complicated (we've got Mekton for the true gear-heads out there), but something that would let us construct them as something that really stands out from their pilots. That leads to the second thing that comes to mind: rules that allow for mecha to be treated as an assigned vehicle would, rather than being associated directly with the pilot. This would be good for grunt mecha in a military campaign, which characters would be assigned to, but not necessarily own outright and can be assigned uprated mecha as they advance.

The magic supplement ideas look good, particularly the possibility of multiple magic systems. Magic items would also be good, and can be carried over to other genres (wands belonging to magical girls, for instance).
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

More detailed mecha creation will be included as part of the tactical rules and new Abilities. Also, no rules are neccessary to treat a mecha outside of the character. Simply don't give the character the Vehicle/Mecha Ability. Mecha can still be constructed the same way without having a physical attachment to a character. That said, the settings will include guidelines for promotion and such, too.
Andrea
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Andrea »

Yay, multiple magic systems looks great! :-)
Andrea from Italy
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Haha, I figured you'd be excited Andrea :) Besides your typical elemental type magic, look for magic drawn from special items, tattoos, totems, and other pseudo fantasy nonsense ^_^
Andrea
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Andrea »

> magic drawn from special items, tattoos, totems

This actually is something I have always liked, because it offers great possibilities for roleplaying. Very good!

Any idea on the release date? End of the year?
Andrea from Italy
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Glad you like!

Though OVA Fantasy and Mecha are being written at the same time, OVA Mecha is slated to be released first. And because Wise Turtle Publishing is still a small venture with little in the way of available cash, I'm afraid that means Fantasy may still be a ways off.

Before the year's end is a nice goal, though. ^^
a french player

Post by a french player »

about OVA Mecha : will we see some cyberpunk stuff such as ghost in the shell and appleseed ?? and what about huge spaceship ?

Post by Guest »

Yeah, Mecha and Space Opera together! I was gonna ask about Nanomachines, but you could just treat it as magic or transform...
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

In Fantasy, how about town builder guidelines/generators?
Watch this and all will become clear...http://tinyurl.com/m7qr3rq
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

a french player wrote:about OVA Mecha : will we see some cyberpunk stuff such as ghost in the shell and appleseed ?? and what about huge spaceship ?
Huge spaceships will be covered in the space-opera built-in setting. Cyberpunk is more of a feel than anything with new concrete rules or concepts, but I suppose the other setting (One that is a homage to Bubblegum Crisis) will fit the bill close enough.
Guest wrote:Yeah, Mecha and Space Opera together! I was gonna ask about Nanomachines, but you could just treat it as magic or transform...
Something not all too dissimilar from nanomachines will be a part of that campaign setting. However, it's by and large a GM secret, so I can't share with you what it will be. >:D
Cloud wrote:In Fantasy, how about town builder guidelines/generators?
There are many, many programs that handle that much better than I ever could. I'm sure there will be some advice on the subject, but you'd be better off looking through the many great d20 programs and books on the market.
a french player

Post by a french player »

I also thought about bubblegum crisis, i asked about cyberpunk cause many of cyberpunk game treat humanity perhaps in manga or anime a cyborg could be much more human than any other characters (like Gally in Gunmm).

by the way about fantasy setting, what about wuxia and shambara ???

ok, shambara was in ova core rule with raine.

but wuxia could work perfectly for fantasy setting, and power move fit good for wuxia.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

OVA Fantasy deals solely with the Western inspired medieval worlds so popular in anime. Samurai, ninja, and all matters of Eastern spirits and mythology will be handled in a seperate book sometime later (Along with such "genres" as shoujo and shounen)
Kyoshi
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Kyoshi »

Actually, most Fantasy, Modern, Sci-Fi and other action oriented anime shows are already Shonen, you're pretty much covering that with all the books so far, Shoujo on the other hand, that DOES require a seperate book as there are tropes that are significantly different than Shonen.
longwinded 2002

Post by longwinded 2002 »

Clay wrote:OVA Fantasy deals solely with the Western inspired medieval worlds so popular in anime. Samurai, ninja, and all matters of Eastern spirits and mythology will be handled in a seperate book sometime later (Along with such "genres" as shoujo and shounen)
Hey, last time I checked, this rpg was going to try to steer away from having 2000 source books. Am I incorrect in assuming that the words above are going against your mission statement?