Zero-sum character gen.

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

R-90-2
Worthy Tortoise

Zero-sum character gen.

Post by R-90-2 »

Hello again.

I understand the intentions behind making chargen a near-zero sum game (that is, for the sake of roleplaying), but I'm hoping that there will be other, equally-solid rules for character generation in the next game, for a couple of reasons.

-Mandatory neurosis. As the came stands, to make a character above basic human levels, it is mandatory to take a goodly number of weaknesses that may not necessarily fit the character concept, in order for the points to balance out.

-GM tracking. Related to the above. Because of this, I as, a GM, have to keep track of numerous weaknesses and bring all of them into play often enough to make them earn their points, and the weaknesses may be so character-specific I may as well have to play with each character individually, rather than as a group. My gaming groups aren't necessarily small, and keeping tracks of well over a dozen specific weaknesses and how they individually apply to each character would be quite maddening when I already have my own bunch of NPCs, setting, and so on to keep track of.

With BESM 2nd, most characters would only have One or two faults. merits (largely because how nasty they were on an individual basis), but characters in this game could easily have two, three times that, or even more due to chargen.
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

I think you're thinking that numbers dictate the characters instead of the opposite, which is a philosophy I disagree with. I think if you stress that the character is more important than his stats, you may avoid these issues.

I almost always create concepts before I roll up, and when I GM, I encourage players to do the same by giving them the "back" of my sheets first and looking over all PC stats before a game.

Here's a nice mantra: If it's not in your character, it's not on your sheet.
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

If anything, I've found the Ground Zero rules very open to making powerful characters. If you ignore a Game Master putting his or her foot down on the matter, you're essentially given the green light to have a +5 Ability straight out of the gate with no Weaknesses whatsoever. Add to that many of the Weaknesses are flavor at best, I've never found having a difficult time making powerhouses.

As for making sure Weaknesses come up in play, I don't really think you have to. There's a reason I don't go for the GURPSesque "This causes a problem for you every X adventures" in the rules. If it doesn't come up, it doesn't come up. You get points because it can, and at a very inopportune time! Likewise, I don't think you should feel you have to police your players. Players will either role-play out their Weaknesses or they won't, pending on how they play. If everyone's having a good time, it just doesn't matter much.

To reiterate, a large portion of your weaknesses should be characterization. Only a handful should actually affect day-to-day die-rolling.

All that aside, you can always use the Threat Value system as a balancing tool. It will be added as an official option in the new book, and it is the only other way to handle balance I can think of. I mean, if you convert BESM to OVA "thinking," you'll find that the same thing is at work. If you buff up your Body stat (Roughly OVA's Strong, Tough, Quick, and Agile) you're going to have to take a hit to Mind and Spirit (equivalent to taking Weaknesses like Dumb, Languorous, Weak-willed, etc.) You're still zeroing things out, just with less words and more numbers.
Father of Dragons
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Father of Dragons »

There's a related discussion going on here on rpg.net about point buy and flaws. There's some interesting comments there.
"If that's pure logic I'll take vanilla."
Dreamstryder
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Dreamstryder »

Most (all?) of the example characters in the OVA rule book have a net +7 or so (maybe more). They're fun characters, so all's fine.

The only numerics I emphasize is proper scale of the +/- (+1 is good, +2 is master, etc) so I don't get a bunch of out-of-proportion numbers on the sheets, so the +/- scale retains statistical expectations intended; rocketing to the moon on one's own power or being super unlucky are rightly assumed to be exceptional. You can put any number, but it has to properly match the character you seek. It may also be nice to focus on certain aspects of a character at first to get a handle on the gist of the character. They can grow over the course of a story.

Think about it as a story; in OVA you don't need skills or tricks to create characters who are good at everything or bad at everything, so there's no point or accomplishment. Engaging stories usually have matches, strengths, and flaws for their characters; that's why you play with the numbers.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Another thing that totally didn't hit me until now...

If you feel too many Weaknesses are being thrown around, simply use the Power Ceiling rules with a large amount of starting points and a marginally bigger Power Ceiling. Or use Zeroing with a larger margin between Abilities and Weaknesses. Both methods will reduce the number of Weaknesses taken by whatever amount you like.

But yeah, I'm mostly in Dreamstryder's camp with this one. OVA is not much for number crunching, so if you're looking for that sort of thing, it might be better to check out something else.