Ben 10

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

metalman42
Shelled Plebeian

Ben 10

Post by metalman42 »

Hey guys! Hope there's still some people who visit this board. I just picked up OVA and am working to switch my dnd 4e campaign. In preparation, I'm trying to create random characters and stuffs.

When trying to write up Ben 10, though, i hit a snag. I thought transformation would work like power move, where you got an infinite number of forms, each with a certain amount of points. This is not so :(

If i was running a game and somebody wanted to be Ben 10, I'd just houserule it, but i wanted to know if anyone else did this?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I'm afraid I'm not really familiar with Ben 10 more than the basic concept, but I'll try to lend my two cents as best I can.

Probably the easiest way to handle it is link it with Human Arsenal. A bit unorthodox, but it could be done within the confines of the rules and a little bit of glossing over Arsenal's exact text.

Another Possibility is to give Ben "Magic" and simply make all his spells different Transformations. Again, it requires a little bit of ignoring what the text implies, but rules-wise it would work.

This has certainly made me think a little! I'll have to make sure this is explicitly possible in the Revised Edition.
metalman42
Shelled Plebeian

Post by metalman42 »

Not familiar with Ben 10? UNFORGIVABLE! (not really, i almost passed it up as well. It's a little juvenile at times, but it's worth checking out if you have a lot of free time XD)

But wow. seriously, magic is a much better fit. In the shows he has a limited amount of time in his Alien forms, and then the Omnitrix needs to recharge. This is modeled perfectly by magic and endurance reserve. Then, just like it suggests in the book, you write up spells ahead of time, each being an alien form.

One question - if the player spent their action using magic to give themselves transformation, would they have to spend the next turn's action using the transformation ability?

Anyway, I started writing up Ben and thought I'd share what I have so far. Honestly, there are too many aliens to write them all up (2 series of 10 each, then extras for specials and stuff. no thank you) But I got two of the most iconic ones.

Ben Tennyson

40 Health
40 Endurance
60 Reserve Endurance for Transformations
+0 Attack
+1 Defense
1 Damage

ABILITIES

Magic, Arcane +3 (Transformation)
Endurance Reserve +3 (+60 end, Omnitrix only)
Combat Skill +3
Hobby: Old Monster Movies +2
Lucky +2
Quick +1

WEAKNESSES

Ageism -2
Focus (omitrix - lose transformation, cannot be removed) -1
Airhead -1
Impulsive -1
Overconfident -1
Stubborn -1
Trigger -1 (Combat skill only works in alien forms)

ALIEN FORMS

Fourarms (Transformation 2) 5 endurance, 3 per turn to sustain

Strong +3
Armor +1
Power Move +3 ("Big Smack" Area Effect, Extra Knockback, Empty Hands, Decreased Damage x2) 10 end, 4 DT

Bizarre Appearance -3
Size -1 (8' tall)

Diamondhead (Transformation 3) 10 endurance, 5 per turn to sustain

Armor +3
Power Move +2 (crystal blades - Armor Piercing, Ranged)
Barrier +3
Unnatural resistance +3 (Light)

Bizarre Apperance -3
Unnatural Weakness -1 (Heat)
Unnatural Weakness -2 (Sonic)