Temple of the Ebon Toad (My Hyborian Age one-shot adventure)

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Gavinwulf
Shelled Plebeian

Temple of the Ebon Toad (My Hyborian Age one-shot adventure)

Post by Gavinwulf »

This story takes place in the Hyborian Age (The world of Conan the Barbarian), but may equally do well in any fantasy setting.
This adventure is mostly combat centered. Descriptions of Places and Objects are after the Story Outline.

This story is presented in an Outline, I will not give stats for NPCs as this is really simple to do with the OVA system and you can scale the antagonists' 'threat level' to your troupe. This adventure is designed for 2 or 3 players.

Temple of the Ebon Toad

Prologue: The PCs start as relatively well-known or up & coming Gladiators.

I. Arena Combat with Kushite Tribesmen
A. After the fight, PCs are ushered to a man of noble bearing named Carascus, he 'purchases' the Gladiators.
1. Carascus is very polite and endearing to the PCs. He humbly acknowledges himself as a civilized scholar of the nobility and the PCs as combat-hardened fighting men. He reasons with the PCs that they can benefit eachother, if they serve him, he will reward them well and will grant them freedom in three moons time, but they may continue to render him service if they wish, they will be well compensated.

II. Carascus's Estate
A. The PCs are afforded every luxury- wine, women, and food, etc.
B. The next morning Carascus briefs them on their first mission. He is a Scholar with a fondness of ancient relics. He also needs these powerful fighting men in defense from his devious adversaries among the noble courts. He wants them to Steal the little-known artifact called the 'Ebon Toad'.
C. The PCs are provided with equip., rations, and a map to the secret location of the Ebon Toad. They are to leave by the back roads, cloaked, and after nightfall.

III. Hamlet on the Highway
A. In the southern reaches of Zingara a small hamlet is under attack by the cannibalistic ghouls of the fens.
B. The villagers are grateful for the PCs help but if the PCs mention their destination the villagers politely ask them to leave saying that it is Bad Luck to keep such pilgrims around. They speak no more of the Ebon Toad or it's cultists.

IV. The Temple of the Ebon Toad
A. The temple is an earthen mound with one entrance carved out of stone. Two priests gaurd the entrance and three cultists are leaving as the troupe approaches.
B. If spotted the Cultists and Priests are immediately hostile to the PCs.
1. Seven more priests are in or around the Temple of the Ebon Toad.
C. The central circular chamber of the temple houses the Ebon Toad. It rests on a pedestal in the center of the chamber. Once removed, the pedestal climbs upwards about two feet- connected to secret doors which release Three Great Cats.
2. The Great Cats of course, alert any priests.

V. Carascus's Inner Sanctum
A. Upon the troupe's return, Carascus is very anxious to receive the relic. He invites the PCs into his secret inner sanctum.
1. The Inner Sanctum is obviously a Sorceror's Study, with a pool of water in the center of the room. Carascus mutters incantations and tosses the Relic into the pool.
B. The Pool begins to seethe and roil into black bile, Carascus dips in a goblet and quaffs the dark water. (insert archetypal maniacal laughter here).
C. Carascus goes to his scrolls and declares that the PCs have aided him in gaining incredible dark power. Their sacrifices will be all that is necessary to complete the ritual. He draws a dagger and Mesmerizes the PC's into paralysis.
1. The PCs may resist Carascus's mesmerism with the 'WillPower' ability.
D. Before the PC's or Carascus can deal any real damage to one or the other, A filthy giant deamon Toad heaves its girth out of the pool and attacks Carascus. Before he is eaten alive he babbles something about how he must have read the scrolls wrong.
2. The PCs then face the monstrous creature from the outer dark.

Descriptions:

The Arena is located in the kingdom of Zingara, a spanish-styled country full of chivalry and devious intrigue. The troupe is located wihin the city of Kordava, the capital, which is located on the western coast. It is filled with fine castles and monuments. Carascus's Estate is located just outside, to the south of Kordava, on cliffs overlooking the ocean.
The PCs could be from virtually any Hyborian Country, as Zingara is famous for its trade ships.

Kushite Tribesmen-
These guys are spear-wielding tribesmen from the black kingdoms of the south. Think of Zulu warriors. They are armed with spears and animal (or human)- skin shields. They are fairly strong and hardy warriors. Since the civilized arena host like pitting barbaric cultures against eachother, these are appropriate adversaries in the opening gladiator fight, but they could easily be switched out for Nordheimer (viking), Pictish, Cimmerian, or other foes. (Realistically all the gladiators could be of any race or culture but uncivilized savage foes makes for greater drama in the opening combat sequence).

Carascus-
He is could be best described as a spanish count. Gaunt, high forehead, hair slicked back with a pronounced widow's peak. Thin Goatee. Dark hear with streaks of gray. He wears a suit with a Crimson mantle embroidered with gold. He has a silver tongue which may be due to a more subtle use of his mesmerism powers.
His estate is spanish-style villa, low, flat, with only a few levels above ground. Decorated with palm trees and whitewashed arches.

Southern Zingara-
These misty fens are infamous for their roving packs of infamous ghouls. Ghouls are Strong humanoid creatures that fight with their teeth and claws, they are albino and cannibalistic. They are not as strong as ape-men, but hunt in packs for human flesh.

Temple of the Ebon Toad-
The Cult of the Ebon Toad is one of many small secretive cults that may inhabit the Hyborian Lands. They are little-known, yet the ghouls don't go near their temple. The temple itself is a large earthen mound with a single entrance. It's simple architecures is made of concentric rings. The outer rings are simple bedchambers, offices, and storehouses for the priests and cultists. The inner chamber that houses the Ebon Toad is like a stone amphitheature. At the center of the amphitheature the walls drop about five feet to an earthen floor, in the center is the pedestal which holds the Ebon Toad. The radius across the earthen floor, from the pedestal to the lower wall of the amphitheature is about 15 ft.
The Ebon Toad is a simple, rudely carved peice of wood, oily black in color, about the size of a footbal and only weighing about 3 pounds.

The Ebon Toad Demon-
A monstrous creature from the outer dark, it may require Willpower rolls to resist panic when it firsts come into the scene. It is about feet in height, from its glossy black stomach to the top of its ugly head. It has bulging, piss-yellow eyes, a rotting stench, and a long reach with it's toungue. It mostly fights with its toungue- a viscous barbed tentacle that it uses to entangle his prey with. The monster's gaping mouth is lined with rows of needle-like teeth. Its mouth is big enough swallow human-sized prey easily. Think of a demon version of Jabba the Hut. The beast is Large, Strong, and can jump. It cannot dodge very well but it's viscous flabby bulk can take a lot of damage.
calibur1
Worthy Tortoise

Post by calibur1 »

Wow! This looked great. It certainly had the feel of a Conan adventure. I might even try it as a one-shot with my group. One question, however:
III. Hamlet on the Highway
A. In the southern reaches of Zingara a small hamlet is under attack by the cannibalistic ghouls of the fens.
B. The villagers are grateful for the PCs help but if the PCs mention their destination the villagers politely ask them to leave saying that it is Bad Luck to keep such pilgrims around. They speak no more of the Ebon Toad or it's cultists.
How much do the villagers known about the Ebon Toad and the cultist? Why do they dislike them? This is important, because I can see a PC threatening a villager for information.
Gavinwulf
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Gavinwulf »

Thanks!
I imagine the villagers know that the troupe aren't cultists, probably by their manner and dress. I would think the villagers know the general direction in the fens where the temple lies, no ghouls go near it. Perhaps they know the secret trail that leads there. Perhaps the cultists tried stealing a baby from one of the houses and was caught. Beyond that, they may 'think' all kinds of frightening things about the Ebon Toad Cult. Feel free to make up whatever gory details you like. I basically just made sure the Troupe knew the cultists were 'evil' enough to dispatch without a care.

Glad you like the story, It was only a one-shot because my players were visiting from out of state but they are gone now. But I feel like this could easily be turned into the beginning of a campaign however.