Fluffing?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Clay
Dangerously Sane

Fluffing?

Post by Clay »

I came to the sudden realization the other day that "fluffing" seems like an esoteric term. Attempts to google it result in nothing remotely similar to how I use the term in OVA (on page 18).

I got the term from a freeform anime campaign I played in years before OVA's inception. (Unsurprisingly, Battlemaster High mentioned in the Afterword). My question to you all is...is this actually a legitimate term? Or something I've picked up through interweb esoterica that could be better described some other way?
calibur1
Worthy Tortoise

Post by calibur1 »

LOL. Does it bother you that much? I don't believe that anyone who loves the game is particularly dismayed over it? Actually, as I look at the colors, artwork, and layout of the page; and considering the anime/manga theme of the game, I believe the term "fluffing" is appropriate. I wouldn't use it in a game like D&D, because it wouldn't carry that same feel. But in my opinion it works for games like BESM, HeartQuest, and OVA.
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

I've used the term "fluff text" before for a purpose similar to this. Actually, fluffing is the first thing I tell my players to do in character creation.
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
Father of Dragons
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Father of Dragons »

The distinction between "fluff" (meaning flavor text) and "crunch" (meaning rules) is pretty well established in internet discussion of RPGs. You can simply pretend to be unaware of the associated unfortunate meanings if anyone asks. :wink:
"If that's pure logic I'll take vanilla."
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

...No need to pretend I'm afraid! o_o

Perhaps it's best that way. *laughs*

Thanks for everyone's two cents.
Doc Halloween
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Doc Halloween »

Most people think "Fluff" has some negative connotation. Lots of babble while writing rules. I think of fluff as text atmosphere, flavor, back story, setting and such (the good stuff). OVA has a really good balance of fluff.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" Matthew 6:34
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
calibur1
Worthy Tortoise

Post by calibur1 »

Most people think "Fluff" has some negative connotation. Lots of babble while writing rules. I think of fluff as text atmosphere, flavor, back story, setting and such (the good stuff). OVA has a really good balance of fluff.
Fluff is the difference between...

"OK... you hit and did 20 points of damage to ninja #3."

and...

"You did a round kick to the ninja's face, hearing a sickly crunch of bone! His body hurls into the alley wall, head first, and he groggily slumps to the ground, leaving several of his teeth imbedded in the brick!"
Doc Halloween
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Doc Halloween »

^
||
||
||
||
Exactly what calibur1 said. Elegant 8)
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" Matthew 6:34
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
Delicious Orange
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Delicious Orange »

I think fluffing is not the best term. Perhaps the phrase flavoring or embellishment would be more clear.
JuddG
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Fluffing?

Post by JuddG »

Clay wrote:I've picked up through interweb esoterica that could be better described some other way?
The rerm "backstory" get thrown around alot in these parts. Maybe also just call it "flavor text"?
Judd M. Goswick
Gamemaster
Legion Anime/Gaming Society