Critique of Power Moves Interpretation

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Beli
Worthy Tortoise

Critique of Power Moves Interpretation

Post by Beli »

Hey all.

I have a couple of games on RPOL.net that I am running, and I've been helping players design characters in the OVA system. One player seems to have a good grasp of the system on his own, but the other has been needing a little help.

When helping, I've asked for a description, both physical and mental, of the character. I then use that to help him create his character using the descriptors in the book. Pretty simple.

Well, I've done the same thing with his power moves, creating a small suite for him to use. I'd like to show you what I did, and see if I am interpreting the rules correctly for Power Moves. If not, I'd like to be able to say I got them wrong and fix what I gave him incorrectly.

Here is the actual breakdown of what I did.

-----------------------------------------
Your base power level is 5 because of your Power Moves level.
All power moves cost a base 10 points of Endurance.

As perks are added, the endurance cost increases. As flaws are added, the endurance goes down. Damage and all that is based on the power move. ^_^

Chaine Kisthanon typed:
1) Blizzard of Steel -ranged attack
Chaine releases multiple starknives at a lot of targets in a given area, quicker than the eye can see.

Damage Total - 1 (for small knives)
Area Affect - Cone (+10 Endurance, -1 defense to all within the area's affect)
Ranged (+5 Can attack Targets at Range)
Low Penetration 1 (-5 Endurance, treat opponent's armor as 1 level higher)
Empty Hands (-5 endurance, must have both hands free to use this power)
No Knockback (-5 Endurance)

Damage Total 1, 10 Endurance

Chaine Kisthanon typed:
2) Float like a butterfly
Chaine leaps forward into the fight, stabbing his blade into the victim before pulling it out and using it in a whirlwind motion to deal with multiple assailants.

Damage Total - 1 (due to multiple attacks)
Area Affect - Circle (+10 Endurance, -1 defense to all within the area's affect)
Extra Damage (+5 endurance, +1 to Damage total)
Open to Attack (-15 Endurance, may not make any defense rolls until next turn)

Damage Total 2, 10 Endurance

Chaine Kisthanon typed:
3) Sting like a...centipede?
Chaine focuses on the victim, building his strength and rage, his eyes look for the vulnerabilities while he builds his strength. Focusing on everything he puts all of his power in one strike trying to strike his opponent in a weak area.

The big one.

Damage Total - 3
Accurate +2 (+10 endurance, +2 to attack roll)
Armor Piercing +2 (+10 Endurance, Opponent's armor is two levels less)
Extra Damage +3 (+15 endurance, +3 damage Total)
Increased Knockback (+10 Endurance, Target need only take 1/4 maximum health to be knocked back)

Charge (-20 Endurance, Must forgo any action and defenses for 1 round to use, if injured or distracted, the attack does not happen and endurance is lost.)
Slow (-5 Endurance, Attack always takes place last in the round, regardless of initiative)

Damage Total 6, 30 Endurance

--------------------------

As you can see, I worked with a base 5 power and split it up between three moves (1, 1, and 3). I am unsure if this was even needed, or if I have misinterpreted the rule.

Do all of his power moves start out at a base 5, does he split the power between moves as I have done, or can he use any level of power up to 5 per move regardless of the number of moves?

I guess this is still a little vague to me, and I think it might be a good thing to do a small 'Here's How' paper on. I don't mind doing one if need be.

I guess this would also relate to magic and psychic powers, as they have similar mechanics.
Roleplay does not begin with everyone else.
Roleplay begins with you.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

You got most of the perks and flaws right, however, you've misinterpreted the Damage Total of Power Moves. It is not split in any way. All moves are the same DT. If you have Power Move at +2, your DT for ALL moves you create will be 5, unless you buy the "Increased Damage" perk or take the "Decreased Damage" flaw.

Hope that clarifies things.
Beli
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Beli »

That's what I was wondering. Thanks Clay. So, all powers have the same damage value regardless, and can be modified by perks and flaws to increase and decrease that damage.

I guess magic and psychic powers are treated the same, right?
Beli
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Beli »

Here's the updated version of the power moves suite.
----------------------------

Blizzard of Steel - ranged attack
Chaine releases multiple starknives at a lot of targets in a given area, quicker than the eye can see.

Damage Total - 5
Area Affect - Cone (+10 Endurance, -1 defense to all within the area's affect)
Ranged (+5 Can attack Targets at Range)
Low Penetration 1 (-5 Endurance, treat opponent's armor as 1 level higher)
Empty Hands (-5 endurance, must have both hands free to use this power)
No Knockback (-5 Endurance)
Decreased Damage x4 (-20 Endurance, reduce Damage Total to 1)

Damage Total 1, 5 Endurance

Float like a butterfly
Chaine leaps forward into the fight, stabbing his blade into the victim before pulling it out and using it in a whirlwind motion to deal with multiple assailants.

Damage Total - 5
Area Affect - Circle (+10 Endurance, -1 defense to all within the area's affect)
Open to Attack (-15 Endurance, may not make any defense rolls until next turn)
Damage Reduction x3 (-15 Endurance, reduce Damage Total to 2)

Damage Total 2, 5 Endurance

Sting like a...centipede?

Chaine focuses on the victim, building his strength and rage, his eyes look for the vulnerabilities while he builds his strength. Focusing on everything he puts all of his power in one strike trying to strike his opponent in a weak area.

Damage Total - 5
Accurate +2 (+10 endurance, +2 to attack roll)
Armor Piercing +2 (+10 Endurance, Opponent's armor is two levels less)
Extra Damage +1 (+5 endurance, +3 damage Total)
Increased Knockback (+10 Endurance, Target need only take 1/4 maximum health to be knocked back)
Charge (-20 Endurance, Must forgo any action and defenses for 1 round to use, if injured or distracted, the attack does not happen and endurance is lost.)
Slow (-5 Endurance, Attack always takes place last in the round, regardless of initiative)

Damage Total 6, 20 Endurance

------------------------------------
Look better?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Much so. Though you may want to check my other thread.