OVA: Notes so far.

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

R-90-2
Worthy Tortoise

OVA: Notes so far.

Post by R-90-2 »

I just picked this up yesterday, and I decided to put up what has really stood out to me so far.

Transformation- The game, while providing a transformation example in the form of a magical girl, doesn't automatically assume that kind of transformation is the only kind one would want. Assuming that one could add "weapon" as part of the transformation portfolio, this would also be wonderful for Tekkaman-style games (I've already done some statting in that respect.)

Power moves/weapons: Ease of customization and simple math are always a plus.

Ground Zero CGen- Well, it fits all right. The more screwed up a character is, the more powerful he/she tends to be. :)

Power moves/magic- All special attacks cost something. I used to be able to make absolute monsters with ease in BESM, but this makes characters work harder for powers.

I haven't played around that much with vehicle rules yet, but I'll put up how it goes when I try to create a Dalek.
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Re: OVA: Notes so far.

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

I would like to be the first to welcome you to the OVA community!! Glad you picked it up, and I wish you many happy gaming nights!!
R-90-2 wrote:I just picked this up yesterday, and I decided to put up what has really stood out to me so far.

Transformation- The game, while providing a transformation example in the form of a magical girl, doesn't automatically assume that kind of transformation is the only kind one would want. Assuming that one could add "weapon" as part of the transformation portfolio, this would also be wonderful for Tekkaman-style games (I've already done some statting in that respect.)
Umm...I'm not too sure what you're trying to say here...^_^??
R-90-2 wrote:Power moves/weapons: Ease of customization and simple math are always a plus.
Yeah, it's genius!!
R-90-2 wrote:Ground Zero CGen- Well, it fits all right. The more screwed up a character is, the more powerful he/she tends to be. :)
Tis true, but I like to use the Power Ceiling rule. It makes your characters as screwed up as you like, but still a fairly limited power-base.
R-90-2 wrote:Power moves/magic- All special attacks cost something. I used to be able to make absolute monsters with ease in BESM, but this makes characters work harder for powers.
Ahh...the uberness of BESM. The Endurance system is going to take a while getting used to, but it's soooooooo much better than EP in BESM. Well, ok, so I'm a bit biased ^_^
R-90-2 wrote:I haven't played around that much with vehicle rules yet, but I'll put up how it goes when I try to create a Dalek.
Hope You enjoy your OVA gaming!! Feel free to ask and comment and what-not here...we're all here to help!!

TBP
R-90-2
Worthy Tortoise

Re: OVA: Notes so far.

Post by R-90-2 »

TheBouncyPherret wrote:
Umm...I'm not too sure what you're trying to say here...^_^??
The ruleset is open enough so that "transformation" isn't predisposed towards a narrow range of transformation types, i.e. magical girl, monster, etc.

Tis true, but I like to use the Power Ceiling rule. It makes your characters as screwed up as you like, but still a fairly limited power-base.
Well, GM supervision/limits are necessary in just about any tabletop RPG, even simple things like "You start at first level" in D&D.
Ahh...the uberness of BESM. The Endurance system is going to take a while getting used to, but it's soooooooo much better than EP in BESM. Well, ok, so I'm a bit biased ^_^
Really? It didn't seem too exotic to me, but then again, I've gamed with everything from D&D all the way down to Call of Cthulu (original).
Hope You enjoy your OVA gaming!! Feel free to ask and comment and what-not here...we're all here to help!!

TBP
Well, thank you very much, and I'll probably put up a few of my experiments here, once I've had more time to muck about with the system.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Glad to have you aboard R-90-2! Yeah, I tried to make every Ability as versatile as possible. Sometimes I slip up ("Human" Arsenal, anyone?) but I think it's more efficient (both in statistics and simply in the creative process) to keep Abilities open for interpretation.
R-90-2
Worthy Tortoise

Post by R-90-2 »

Other notes: While I'm sure that much will be expanded on in OVA: Mecha, the bog-standard vehicle rules are built around the idea that a prepared heroic character should be able to trash them without too much difficulty, unless there are a lot of them.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Yeah, OVA is built around the concept that no enemy is unapproachable/undefeatable without a helping of GM Fiat. OVA mecha will include "scale" rules to allow characters/mecha/etc. to be of completely different power levels than another in one or more facets. Hopefully that'll give you the variety you're looking for.
R-90-2
Worthy Tortoise

Post by R-90-2 »

I never said that the Vee rules were a bad thing. :)

Anyway, will OVA: Mecha also include special rules for Mecha-Musume? I have no trouble creating those with the base system, but I just wonder if there's anything in the pipe specifically for fans of that particular subset.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I don't see what, game-wise, could be added for mecha shoujo. After all, they're simply girls with cute armor/clothing and maybe a weapon or two.

There's a sample robotic female in OVA mecha, but that's about as far as it goes.
JuddG
Worthy Tortoise

Post by JuddG »

:!: Amazing Aside Alert! :!:
R-90-2 wrote:Anyway, will OVA: Mecha also include special rules for Mecha-Musume?
I am resisting the all-consuming urge to make a Morning Musume in space campaign setting now.... :oops:

My twin love of Spacecraft and Morning Musume would lead invariably to some sort of "Galaxy Angels" rip.

Plus, everyone knows Konno Asami is the cutest arms dealer in the Universe! (Maybe that's just me...)
R-90-2
Worthy Tortoise

Post by R-90-2 »

That reminds me. I'm probably going to do some fiddling to see what I can do with the Ricochet system and starship combat.
R-90-2
Worthy Tortoise

Post by R-90-2 »

Okay, new stuff.

-I can't seem to find any provision for machines or characters with "limited flight", or very far and long jumping distances. Flight is almost completely out for this, as it has a DN of 6 for simply gaining altitude. Now normally I would tweak Super Speed for this, but I would be looking for something that would also allow the character/battlesuit/whatever so equipped to be able to attack as well.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I've found, in anime, most characters can jump, and fall, such unreasonable distances that rules covering "super-jump" seemed superfluous.

Earlier versions of the Flight Ability had lower levels be used for gliding. But it was convoluted at best and it was revised to state you see now. I recommend simply making a special Ability called "Glide" at +1.
R-90-2
Worthy Tortoise

Post by R-90-2 »

Clay wrote:I've found, in anime, most characters can jump, and fall, such unreasonable distances that rules covering "super-jump" seemed superfluous.
This is what I was hoping to hear, really. :)
R-90-2
Worthy Tortoise

Post by R-90-2 »

More stuff:

-While it isn't explicitly stated, I'd be willing to rule that barrier dice don't receive the same penalty that normal defense dice do when trying to defeat an AOE. The character is using some arcane means to absorb the damage, rather than trying to get out of its way, as normal.

-The flexibility of the witchcraft system allows for some really funky and/or hilarious curses ("You are now irresistable to the opposite sex!" "How's that a curse?" "You'll see."). While this may or may not have been the intention, I'm keeping it all the same. :)
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

R-90-2 wrote:More stuff:

-While it isn't explicitly stated, I'd be willing to rule that barrier dice don't receive the same penalty that normal defense dice do when trying to defeat an AOE. The character is using some arcane means to absorb the damage, rather than trying to get out of its way, as normal.

This is very true. As it stands, the only reason to take Barrier is if you have ALOT of endo...otherwise Defense Skill is just as good--if not better if you have a small endo pool. I guess for a "caster" type it would be better, but most would take Defense Skill. Is there a way to make a Defense roll, followed by a Barrier roll if you still get hit?

TBP