Recovery Action

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Recovery Action

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

I was wondering, is it possible to do a Recovery action as part of multiple actions? For example, can I attack with my sword and recover 5 Endurance, and just take a -2 to my attack and defenses?

It seems logical, but I was wondering what y'alls take on it was. The way Recovery is worded, it would seem that it might be possible...but I'm not sure.

TBP
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Original intent was a complete round of concentration/rest. Although I suppose the rules may not explicitly forbid it, I feel it goes against the concept to do it as part of a series of multiple actions. After all, how much can you rest while simultaneously taking down some ninja?

But in the end, I want everyone to play OVA how they want to. So you have to decide for yourself. ^_~
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

Clay wrote:Original intent was a complete round of concentration/rest. Although I suppose the rules may not explicitly forbid it, I feel it goes against the concept to do it as part of a series of multiple actions. After all, how much can you rest while simultaneously taking down some ninja?
Ahh...see, I didn't read it to be "rest for a round"...more like "recenter yourself." And I figured that if you could duck and weave while recentering yourself, why not recenter youself while hacking the arm of that ninja?

I guess it could go either way...I just figured that as long as the other action/s didn't involve Endo, it would be ok.

TBP
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

That was my main problem. It's arbitrary to exclude Endurance using actions if you don't also exclude other actions. On the other hand, everywhere in the rules Defense actions are described as "free" ...even when you're knocked back. It seems justifiable to still allow them.

But in the end, it's up to you. To this day, many people still play OVA including stuff like Weapon and Power Move in their attack roll. Although neither specifically ban this usage, a similar Ability, Martial Arts, does. I thought this was self-evident that you don't do this when I wrote it...but in the end, as long as any understanding is used consistently and universally, (ie. you always allow actions while Recovering, you allow ANY damage bonus Ability to add to the attack roll.) it's not likely to truly break the game. It's all about having fun. Whichever understanding leads to that is the best one.