Luck Ability? (stupid search function...)

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Luck Ability? (stupid search function...)

Post by cassius335 »

Out of curiosity, Does OVA have any form of a Luck power? Perhaps something involving an additional stock of Drama dice?

Tried searching the forum for insight, but apparently luck is "too common a word". Oy. :roll:
Rawle Nyanzi
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Luck Ability? (stupid search function...)

Post by Rawle Nyanzi »

Haven't played the game yet, but I think you can just invent an ability if it doesn't exist in the book.
Ayleron
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Ayleron »

Rawls is right, it would not be hare to create. It really depends on what effect you are going for. What are you trying to represent with the "luck" power? How are you wanting it to work story wise?

Drama dice are something you can already activate and if you give them more, do they get to roll them all the time? How often do they refresh if not? A lot of games represent luck with a a reroll which seems to work in my opinion. Maybe you can reroll once per level per scene? Or roll 2 drama dice, fore 5 endurance, once per level per scene? Maybe you could also have it force the opposed dice pool to remove a dice of your choice.
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Ayleron wrote:Rawls is right, it would not be hare to create. It really depends on what effect you are going for. What are you trying to represent with the "luck" power? How are you wanting it to work story wise?

Drama dice are something you can already activate and if you give them more, do they get to roll them all the time? How often do they refresh if not? A lot of games represent luck with a a reroll which seems to work in my opinion. Maybe you can reroll once per level per scene? Or roll 2 drama dice, fore 5 endurance, once per level per scene? Maybe you could also have it force the opposed dice pool to remove a dice of your choice.
Well, Vigorous is 1 point per +10 endurance. So how much would it be to buy "endurance reserved exclusively for Drama Dice" or just directly buy Drama Dice? 1 point for 20 END/4 dice? 1 point for 15END/3 Dice? Just trying to be creative without being unbalanced.

The other ideas are good, though. Would like it to be more than once a scene if possible...
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

OVA actually has an Ability called "Lucky" which, unsurprisingly, represents how often good fortune happens to a character.

Besides just affecting the story, players also get a number of free Drama Dice equivalent to their Level in Lucky. These refresh at the Game Master's discretion, but usually you get them back in the same instances that you can recover your spent Endurance.

While it's true Vigorous is theoretically more efficient for generating extra dice, keep in mind Lucky has a more wide-reaching effect on the story than simply improving your rolls. You don't just do better at things, good things happen to you!
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Clay wrote:OVA actually has an Ability called "Lucky" which, unsurprisingly, represents how often good fortune happens to a character.

Besides just affecting the story, players also get a number of free Drama Dice equivalent to their Level in Lucky. These refresh at the Game Master's discretion, but usually you get them back in the same instances that you can recover your spent Endurance.

While it's true Vigorous is theoretically more efficient for generating extra dice, keep in mind Lucky has a more wide-reaching effect on the story than simply improving your rolls. You don't just do better at things, good things happen to you!
Sounds good; I'll go with that, then. Is there an equivalent Unlucky?
Rawle Nyanzi
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Rawle Nyanzi »

cassius335 wrote:
Clay wrote:OVA actually has an Ability called "Lucky" which, unsurprisingly, represents how often good fortune happens to a character.

Sounds good; I'll go with that, then. Is there an equivalent Unlucky?
Like I said before, you can make up any ability you need.
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Rawle Nyanzi wrote:Like I said before, you can make up any ability you need.
Just curious.
Rawle Nyanzi
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Rawle Nyanzi »

cassius335 wrote:
Just curious.
That's all right. I didn't mean to be rude.
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Rawle Nyanzi wrote:
cassius335 wrote:
Just curious.
That's all right. I didn't mean to be rude.
No problem. :)
Ayleron
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Ayleron »

I would think that a bad luck weakness would be something that would mostly come out in roleplay like the way that Clay described luck. But Unluck would be possibly having to re-roll a good dice at a key moment. Or maybe having to roll one less dice, like the situational bonus/negative dice described in the current player book's combat section.

For the record I think both ideas are really interesting and would lead to some interesting role playing. Just imagine how interesting it can be when a character learns to use their bad luck to their advantage. Like in Tenchi Muyo GXP
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

There is a Weakness for bad luck, but it is really a role-play thing. There's no forced rerolls or penalty dice...but even if the character succeeds, they may just succeed in making the situation worse!

Of course, if players want to incorporate some bad luck into actual rolls, by all means! It would probably be best to link the number of penalty dice (or number of rerolls, etc.) to the severity of the Weakness, to be consistent with the rest of the game.
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

I use Lucky as a "special ability" like others I created such as:

Illusions
Elemental control (take your element, be it Earth, Fire, Metal etc...)

the only difference are the Drama Dice, since the other powers can be effectively controlled (and I usually ask for a price of Endurance if the task is really difficult) while Lucky is something that simply... happens!
A character who is "Filthy Rich" can buy what he needs, be it an item or a favour.
A Lucky character finds what he needs or a simple way to obtain it...