Kickstarter!

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: Kickstarter!

Post by Clay »

Hey Bubba,

Despite how it may appear on these forums, you're not the only person asking. :)

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?675 ... ting-today

As you can find there, I'm attempting to coordinate with Ewen Cluney to run our Kickstarters roughly concurrently. I think we can both benefit from sharing each other's respective fanbases.

In the meantime, I can give you a sneak peek at the art for that Player Book mentioned earlier:

http://www.nikogeyer.com/files/ova-playerbook-miho.jpg

Shouldn't be much longer!

As for your question about improvised weapons and items, there is a small call-out about it. It's nothing terribly exciting: Such things are mainly a collection of abilities and houseruled to apply to your character. Basically you gain the stats that item gives and a new Focus weakness. Probably written in that temporary notes section of the character sheet.
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

Sweet!
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

Clay. Hey, Clay. Are you alive? ;) Seriously, I'm so stoked that I got three hardcore D&D gamers to try OVA and they love it. They're looking forward to the new edition.

Not as much as me, of course. :)
MacLeod
Worthy Tortoise

Post by MacLeod »

Sometimes a [suggest] thread pops up on rpg.net and I immediately think of OVA and what to post about it... Then I remember that I have no information on when the Revised Kickstarter is going to happen. :(

In closing, make it easier for me to recommend OVA!!!
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

McLeod, it's a pretty sad affair when you and I seem to care more about this than it's creator. That may seem harsh, but here it is...over a month after he posted about it...and nothing. But, here's to hoping, right?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Hey guys. Trust me, it may seem like nothing's going on, but there's quite a lot working behind the scenes. The KS page is basically ready, complete with a full video trailer, I've completely revamped the website (yet not launched it quite yet), and I'm always working on making the game better.

As I said in the aforementioned thread, OVA's release is tied to Golden Sky Stories, which, last I checked, Ewen plans to launch April 15th.

I know it's hard to say "Hey, check out this game that...MIGHT launch eventually", trust me, I know and have been dealing with the same issues for years.

But it is getting there. But unfortunately no amount of "Are we there yet?" is going to help much. I'd much rather hear about what you want from the game, what you expect in the new edition, and what your friends and colleagues want to see in it. These are the kind of constructive discussion points that would make this forum look a little...well...less dead. There's only so many ways to say "Coming soon" after all.
MacLeod
Worthy Tortoise

Post by MacLeod »

Bubba is just an impassioned soul, so he says some pretty intense things. :) I didn't mean any offense with my post... I just wanted to bring up the fact that I think OVA fits the bill for a lot of different gaming needs. I'd like to spread the word about Revised more effectively is all.

As for discussion points and the like... I like all the different ideas expressed about the revisions I've heard of so far. I think the only thing I'm disappointed in is the math for damage. I was hoping for smaller, easier to manage numbers. Something I could visually represent with tokens. I s'pose I'll just need to make or find some tokens with 10s, 5s and 1s on them.

The only thing I can think of without seeing the revised text is that I'd like some optional rules at the end of the book meant to be outline and emphasize specific genres. For instance, a wound system to emulate shows that are notoriously violent and escalation rules for shonen fighting anime, etc...

As for the Kickstarter its self, we've already come to the conclusion that early access to the PDF is going to be a thing, right? Will you be accepting any suggestions at that point? I'm no master game designer but I have a lot of ideas and some of them might mesh well with OVA - once I've seen the revised text, of course. I'll understand if the answer is an honest 'No' however.

I really hope April 15th is the day. As much as I support your decisions and want to be patient for a good thing... I really want OVA Revised in my paws!!! :D
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

I like Clay (from what I know of him), I really do and I love OVA, but I stand by my "passion". I'd much rather have weekly, "Nothing new" than "Hey! We're shooting for Day X and it should work", etc and then Day X passes and...nothing. If I didn't love this game and want to see it succeed I wouldn't be here at all.

I'd like to know how much has been done for the Kickstarter and if it's basically ready. I got scorched with the Eoris Essence guys and won't let that happen again, so I'd like to know if buying in to the KS means another year or so until we see it, or is it basically at the gate.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

MacLeod: Yes, I will be accepting feedback at this point. Drastic rules changes or additions will probably be a no-go (since that would involves swaths of retypesetting) but if there's a few lines that can be changed that makes a given thing work better, then by all means. And if there's something truly worth wrecking the book over to include, well, that can happen, too.

Honestly, I will continue accepting this sort of thing until the print version comes out (roughly 4 months after the PDF)

Sorry the math bugs you, though I might include some rules on simplifying it under a general section of ways to change combat. (Which yes, includes modifying its lethality.)

Tokens are a neat idea though. It would probably involve counting UP health (instead of the traditional counting down) but I see no reason why it couldn't work. Heck, maybe I'll design a few as a bonus. :)

April 15th isn't quite the day. That's when Golden Sky Stories will launch (at least, that's the plan.) OVA will launch one-to-two weeks later, so as to maximize crossover appeal and to avoid stomping on each other's opening day sales (which tend to be large with Kickstarter.)

Bubba: I know, I know, trust me. I get frustrated too. It's just difficult to come back and say the same tired lines over and over again. Anyway, no, part of the reason for delaying the KS is so backers will NOT be in the position of waiting a year for their PDFs. Print plans are a bit murky, currently, but the PDF should come out for everybody (remember, backers get it early) 3 months after the KS, at latest.

Speaking of Kickstarter, did you guys see this? I designed the cards, and the anime-theming should be up your alley: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/188 ... /channel-a
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

There's much love here, so no worries. And never feel that being here to fill us in is "tired", even if it's the same-old. Perhaps tell us about things you're excited by, rules or otherwise. I know we had those little blogs, but what...if anything's...changed?
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

es waitin' fer news. Anyfin'?
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Still working on getting things ready behind the scenes, but perhaps y'all would like to see one of the deluxe sets you can get by backing on Kickstarter:
MacLeod
Worthy Tortoise

Post by MacLeod »

Looks really nice! I can't afford that kind of pledge but I envy those who can. :)
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

Sweet! I am so in...

Clay, what about allowing some of us to playtest a stripped-down PDF? Far West handed out some pieces for player "editing" and the Edge of the Empire beta was a brilliant idea.
MacLeod
Worthy Tortoise

Post by MacLeod »

GSS is midway through. Anything to say about your Kickstarter, Clay? Very soon would be perfect for me. I have enough to cover a pledge but it won't last forever. @_@