So, I just got OVA...

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

ComicJam
Worthy Tortoise

Post by ComicJam »

If my players are lucky, I throw in one fight per session so I'm not to frightened of munkinism either. Most of it character building and interaction, and I love inter-character shocks. Instead of telling out loud that one character's boots are covered in blood, hand a note to one of the players saying "why are his boots covered in blood?" then let the character interactions begin!
:twisted:

Cheers! :D
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

Clay wrote:Ricochet, in its earliest stages, actually used d10s. I'm afraid there were never any DN charts created for that version, however. :/

Due to there being more numerals to work with, it is substantially less likely to achieve doubles.

Only suggestion I can make offhand is that the 6 DN should be scaled to 10 (both being maximum results with one die). Try to work from there.
Well, I was bored last night at work...ok, this morning, but I work the night shift, so it's ok...and I think I have a good DN table for ya for d10s:

Code: Select all

Difficulty____d6__d10
Easy__________02___04
Moderate______04___06
Challenging___06___10
Difficult_____08___14
V. Difficult__10___16
E. Difficult__12___20
N. Impossible_15___25
Hope this helps!!

TBP
ComicJam
Worthy Tortoise

Post by ComicJam »

Thanks, TBP! I'm going to sit down and roll lots of dice and do some statistical analysis if I get a chance- plus I need to polish up m stats for myself. ;)

Cheers! :D
bushido11
Worthy Tortoise

Post by bushido11 »

Using OVA for Exalted...an interesting idea indeed. I'm a huge fan on the Exalted setting, although combat goes too slow, IMO (too many dice rolls).

I think that in this case, it's better to bring the spirit of an Exalted game into OVA rather than to try to do a precise conversion of Storyteller (Exalted-style) to OVA. The average Celestial Exalted usually has 2 dice more in the same ability that a regular mortal would have. For each caste, they have a +1 by default to their caste abilities. Make up a new ability, called Essence, which acts a lot like Vitality, except that you can only use it for charms, sorcery, and caste abilities. In essence, it's Vitality with a Focus limitation on it, but only Exalted and spirits/gods/Fair Folk can get it.

For charms, figure out what the charm is for (in role-playing terms, not game terms) and translate it accordingly.

I remember working on using the Exalted setting with Mutants & Masterminds...man, it was such a headache converting some of those caste abilities (since creating M&M power is "effect based"), especially the Eclipse's ability to make a binding pact and the effects of the curse that occurs with breaking the pact. I had to use the Probability Control power as the basis for that effect, and that power is found in the Mastermind's Manual.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting kind of tired of "effects based" power creation, especially when I'm working on a campaign setting.
wuxiasnake
Worthy Tortoise

Post by wuxiasnake »

Just had to bump this thread because I've been thinking about this lately. Most exactly I've been thinking about a way to have the coolness of the Exalted setting without the clunky system.

First I think it would be pertinent use the Point Scale rule for character creation ... level 3 costs 4 points .... level 4 costs 8 ... level 5 costs 15 etc.
OVA does have fairly granular scaling. Just a +1 bonus increases your chances of rolling doubles quite significantly. So a +2 should represent an extremeley competent individual amongst normal humans. +3 should represent the greatest talents ... world leaders in their field ... and be extremely rare.

Obviously 15 points for +5 puts that level far beyond the reach of normal mortals. So we give our Exalts some rediculous point total to work from during character creation, maybe 60 points or some such.

Using this method, a highly skilled mortal warrior might get to something like 6 dice in his attack pool. An exalt with like 15 or more dice in his attack pool should be able to slice him to bits without too much effort.

To add to this you even could decree that all mortals are mooks, or even that all exalts start off with larger than normal health/endurance pools. Maybe 60 points or more.

It would probably be a good idea to draw up some templates for each type of exalt (solar, lunar, etc) so each feels different in play. As far as charms go I wouldn't bother converting them though. Just select abilities/weaknesses and power moves etc that are in keeping with the feel of a particular exalt type. Solars are more likely to have devistating power moves, whereas lunars would be witchcraft tastic.

I'm not really much of an Exalted guru. I read the rulebook once and my head started to hurt so I haven't revisited it. I would appreciate any input from those amongst us who have more Exalted knowledge than I.
[b]Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.[/b]" -- [i]Confucius[/i]

[url]http://nzrag.com/[/url]
Kotetsutheo
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Kotetsutheo »

wuxiasnake
First I think it would be pertinent use the Point Scale rule for character creation ... level 3 costs 4 points .... level 4 costs 8 ... level 5 costs 15 etc.
OVA does have fairly granular scaling. Just a +1 bonus increases your chances of rolling doubles quite significantly. So a +2 should represent an extremeley competent individual amongst normal humans. +3 should represent the greatest talents ... world leaders in their field ... and be extremely rare.

Obviously 15 points for +5 puts that level far beyond the reach of normal mortals. So we give our Exalts some rediculous point total to work from during character creation, maybe 60 points or some such.
As much as I sympathize with your objective, I don't see the reason for this addtional math. If you assume that the greater 90% of "normal" humans will be rolling 2 or 3 d6 for most of their lives (a few +1 abilities and flaws), anyone with an additional + 4 or 5 dice (easily done with a 2 +2 abilities or a even a +2 and +3, e.g. Hobby) The "Solar" characters in you game will already be that mch ahead of the rest of mankind. As a recomendation, try Character Creation with both the Ground Zero rules and a variable Power Celing in effect; say 20 for Solar, Abyssals, and Lunars, 15 for Dragon Blooded, and you cold make general "human" or even pre Awakening characters with 10 or 5. This will put you characters far above the rest of humanity as well as their Exalted brothers, while not bogging down the system unnecessairly.
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

wuxiasnake wrote:Just had to bump this thread because I've been thinking about this lately. Most exactly I've been thinking about a way to have the coolness of the Exalted setting without the clunky system.
Hey, I like the Exalted system. I have fun stories involving Stamina+Performance rolls.

Whenever I remember to get to a Campus computing lab*, I'll show that my revised character sheet is partially based on the Exalted sheet, but better.

*-They let me make .pdf's for free
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!