Some suggestions on the layout for OVA Revised

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

metalman42
Shelled Plebeian

Post by metalman42 »

I like the sample characters, I used them to get a good idea of what characters should look like. I'm glad you're keeping them, Clay.

But I also think the book should be panty shot free. I know cheesecake is an anime tradition, but I worry about someone seeing me read this book and thinking I'm a pervert :(
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Joe_Mello wrote:
Clay wrote:I think my basic reasoning, besides the fact you'd have to tie me up somewhere and threaten my life to get me to remove them, is that you can always thumb past the sample character section. You can't exactly poof it there if it's removed. I've always felt it gave the book character
And I just grab my forehead in pain and disbelief.
...wow. I even stun myself with that stroke of brilliance.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Insert Various Instances of Pantyshot Paranoia
Actually, believe it or not, all of these are directly the fault of the artists I commissioned. I remember indicating to Kelly Hamilton that Karis should be sleeping in pajamas of some kind in the full page illo...somehow this resulted in her pantsless. *laughs*

That said, I think a bit of fanservice is intrinsic to capturing the appropriate feel of anime. If it's any consolation, the Miho high kick has long since been struck from the pages of the book. :) So there's at least one case you won't have to hide from passerby.
Erinak
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Erinak »

Hahaha 'Pantyshot Paranoia' - great phrase, that sounds like an anime title right there.

I fully believe you and don't get me wrong - I enjoy fanservice as much as anyone. Just that anime girls tend to look far younger than they really are >.>
-WARNING! Play at own risk.
Dreamstryder
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Dreamstryder »

...That was KARIS!? :D I appreciate that picture more now knowing it was our nail-toothed space hunter in an unsteeled moment.

I really like the direction OVA's heading from the looks of the blog. To add my opinion, I always find examples of characters and play useful for rules explanation. Also, the daintiness of the old paperback is nice for weight reasons when I carry it around with all my game papers, and table space is ever a consideration. smaller than the typical/D&D size is probably a good idea; it might also make it easier for Clay to publish a color print version, eh? ;)

On that note: Galeros, wouldn't it improve the printability of a PDF if some pages were entirely art (hence skippable), and some all text? It doesn't take care of half-&-half pages, but...
Clay wrote:Perhaps I'll release a limited run coffee-table book with the art all big and pretty?
OVA T-shirts, the Art of OVA (OVArt)... 8) )