What do you want to see in OVA Fantasy/Mecha?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I wasn't planning on it, but now that you mention it, that does seem like a useful inclusion. I'll certainly consider it. :) Maybe under a lump heading with a chart of stats for various animals.
ComicJam
Worthy Tortoise

Post by ComicJam »

Clay wrote:I wasn't planning on it, but now that you mention it, that does seem like a useful inclusion. I'll certainly consider it. :) Maybe under a lump heading with a chart of stats for various animals.
Excellent!! :)

All I ask is that you don't inter-breed species to make something new. Like the Owlbear, the Penguinlion, the ferocious Bunnywolf or the dreaded Ducksnake! (5 points to those who guess where that's from!) ;)

So, will we be seeing character templates too (not just races, but wizards etc.)?

Cheers! :D
Michael Hopcroft
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Michael Hopcroft »

A few thoughts on each ot these:

Mecha: Most of the really interesting things in a lot of tyhe best mecha series happen well outside the cockpit. Three words: Martian Successor Nadesico (not as a sourcebook, but as a sort of style inspiration and an example, through satire, of the lot of things people expect from mecha campaigns).

Also, a lot of times the PCs mecha are as much plot devices as weapons. The rebel pilots in Gundam Wing were able to cut through hundreds of powerful enemy "mobile suits" like hot knives through butter -- until they came to the worthy foe who was their equal, if not more. Indeed that series illustrates one odf the classic tropes of mecha anime: that heroes frequently find themselves wondering if what they are doing is right, or morally acceptable, or whether the result they bseek is worth the price they and those around them wil;l have to pay.

On Fantasy:

ComboBeasts can be fun if not overdone. as can unexpected forms of lycanthropy ("even a man who si pure in heart, and says his prayers at night, can become a cow when the Cowsbane blooms and the full moon shines bright." or "QUACK! QUACK!" "Wereduck!" "Wereduck?" "There." "What?" "THERE duck. There castle.")

By the way, I get the points. ("Hey, Wise Mr. Owlbear! How many licks does it take to get to the chewey elven center of a Varsuuvius Pop?" "One.")
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

On monster hybrids: Never been a fan myself, so you likely won't see many. ^_^

On mecha: Fret not, OVA mecha will contain plenty of content for outside the mecha as well.
ComicJam
Worthy Tortoise

Post by ComicJam »

Excellent news! :)

Maybe Fantasy could have "weapon templates" too?
Just a thought...

DreadSpoon
Shelled Plebeian

Post by DreadSpoon »

So, Clay, got any teasers or previews for us? ;-)
Bhikku
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Bhikku »

Hey, Shooting Star, I like that 'Promiseals' idea! If you don't mind, i might steal it for some of my games.

I like the ideas i've heard so far for Fantasy (my preferred genre). I believe I saw elsewhere on the site that the book is intended to include techno-fantasy stuff like the later Final Fantasy stuff. (As you'll likely realize if you follow my postings on this and other forums, I love merging scifi and fantasy elements.) Ooh, some ideas on non-anime fantasy might be nice - like Moorcock's Runestaff or Elric books, or Planetary Romance (like Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom series).
"Sorry, Jimmy! I'm here to smash all your souvinirs!"
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

DreadSpoon wrote:So, Clay, got any teasers or previews for us? ;-)
No real teasers at the moment. Most of the material remains in notepad and is not really presentable under my strict standards yet. ^^

But here's a page from OVA mecha I posted in my LJ.

The text of course is just stolen from OVA, and the header logo is temporary.

As for mixing technology with fantasy, it won't be overly stressed. Just a couple of far out ideas that seem to exist mostly in Japanese versions of fantasy. ^^ You know, nonsense like flying airships.
DreadSpoon
Shelled Plebeian

Post by DreadSpoon »

Steampunk fantasy is (relatively) popular in America, too. Mixing magic and technology isn't unheard of. Especially not with the popularity of Final Fantasy here in America.

You also get into the whacky "technology" like Eberron has, where everything is powered by bound elementals and spirits and such.
ComicJam
Worthy Tortoise

Post by ComicJam »

DreadSpoon wrote:Steampunk fantasy is (relatively) popular in America, too. Mixing magic and technology isn't unheard of. Especially not with the popularity of Final Fantasy here in America.

You also get into the whacky "technology" like Eberron has, where everything is powered by bound elementals and spirits and such.
Its pretty big in the RPG and wargaming field. Especially with Privateer Press' Iron Kingdoms world.

The Fifth Wanderer
Shelled Plebeian

Post by The Fifth Wanderer »

Me, I'd like the 'design system' for mecha to stay like the character design system. It works really well in BESM, and helps keep down on rules complexity.
Three Rules of Anime:

1) Never pick a fight with an old man.

2) If it's cute, kill it now and save yourself a lot of time and effort.

3) Learn a musical instrument; after that, you can do anything.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

The Fifth Wanderer wrote:Me, I'd like the 'design system' for mecha to stay like the character design system. It works really well in BESM, and helps keep down on rules complexity.
Like in the main rule-book, mecha are created just like characters. There are going to be a few new Abilities and Weaknesses fine-tuned for mecha use, but these, in particularly weird cases, could be applied to characters, too.
ComicJam
Worthy Tortoise

Post by ComicJam »

Clay wrote:
The Fifth Wanderer wrote:Me, I'd like the 'design system' for mecha to stay like the character design system. It works really well in BESM, and helps keep down on rules complexity.
Like in the main rule-book, mecha are created just like characters. There are going to be a few new Abilities and Weaknesses fine-tuned for mecha use, but these, in particularly weird cases, could be applied to characters, too.
There's nothing wrong with being a Transformer! ;)
Man, I still have to run that game...

Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

anyone into Nadesco is my friend lol.
Watch this and all will become clear...http://tinyurl.com/m7qr3rq
Shatterclaw
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Shatterclaw »

I wouldn't mind seeing at lest two takes on each Class/monster

Ae, typical depiction of a Dwarf, and a alteritive look at a Dwarf.

Just to give a gm some open choices.

Clay wrote:OVA Fantasy deals solely with the Western inspired medieval worlds so popular in anime. Samurai, ninja, and all matters of Eastern spirits and mythology will be handled in a seperate book sometime later (Along with such "genres" as shoujo and shounen)