OVA character generator

Got a question? Serious, silly, relevent, or otherwise, Wise Turtle just might have the answer!

Moderator: Wise Turtle

spontaniousdemon

OVA character generator

Post by spontaniousdemon »

Can someone plleeeaaaase make an OVA character generator. Although unofficial BESM has a great character generator, but i don't use it because i think that OVA is 10 times better. It just gets really annoying writing out loads of characters in handwriting that no-one can read when you could do it with a few clicks on the PC. Can you help??? :D
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I've actually been working on one since the dawn of time (err...since shortly before OVA's release), but it just hasn't panned out. I'm a programming novice at best, and the current generator has several inexplicable bugs. However, it DOES work in that you can pick and choose from any of the game's Abilities and Weaknesses and rate them appropriately. You can even click an Attribute and call up a quote from the rules.

However, there's a plethora of things that don't work:
  • Saving
    Printing
    Attribute Notes
    Duplicate Abilities
    Character Limiting Rules
    Sub-Attributes (Powers in a Power Move Suite, Transformation, etc.)
All of these are pretty major things to be missing, so I won't be releasing it until I've dealt with them. Once it's done, I'm currently planning on releasing it as part of a program suite (including the character generator, a dice roller, and a name generator) for about $5. Does that sound fair to everyone?
TheGreyReversed
Shelled Plebeian

Sounds good to me

Post by TheGreyReversed »

You kidding me? Hell yes I'd fork over $5.00 for a character generator. I can't begin to tell you how many pages of my notbeook I have to fill just to ensure that I don't waste my precious character sheets on enemies. It would also be pretty cool if you could include some preset enemies too. 8)
[i]"Keep talking, and I'll burn your house down and devour your entire family one by one as they come running out." Terror [/i] :D
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

i have been at an all time low with money right now but it would definately help. i would buy one for 5 bucks.
Watch this and all will become clear...http://tinyurl.com/m7qr3rq
DreadSpoon
Shelled Plebeian

Post by DreadSpoon »

Honestly, I'd release it under an Open Source license. I can't see the sales figures being very high for this sort of thing, given that there are free/Open Source character generators available for almost every major game system. It might as well be free, and if it's free, there's no good reason at all to not be Open Source. (Plus it might make it easier to port it to other platforms, add features, fix bugs, etc.)

What language/toolkit is it written in?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Visual Basic. ^^
DreadSpoon
Shelled Plebeian

Post by DreadSpoon »

Is it VB6 or VB.net?

If the latter, it could be ported with some minor effort to OS X and UNIX/Linux using the http://www.go-mono.com Mono Framework.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Visual Basic 5, actually.
Kotetsutheo
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Kotetsutheo »

Any news on this product or has it fallen by the WAyside?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Forgive the late response.

While I still would like to see such a product get released, I'm afraid my programming skills aren't up to par with what I need it do.

So the answer is "It'll come out once I figure out how to make it."

I may look at it again in earnest once OVA mecha is out.