Some Npcs from my campaign

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Some Npcs from my campaign

Post by markodude »

I am going to post some characters I created for my campaign (that is a sort of Final Fantasy setting that merges fantasy with modern technology).
I think I'll make people spend for weapon Perks so, if you use them the point cost will be different!
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

Shiro Okumichi (Secondary Png, final cost +2)
Shiro is the leader of the K.O. Gang, but only few people (the gang itself) knows that. This is the reason why he wears a mask, the mask of the former leader of the K.O. Gang, the mighty Kenta. Nobody knows why Kenta is know, or if he is still alive, he simply disappeared, and Shiro, that was his right-hand man at the time, took the mask and the sword-whip that made his leader popular and he took his place.
Police and rival gangs would attack their turf if they knew that Kenta isn't the guy with the mask... unfortunately Shiro isn't nearly as strong and as brave as Kenta was and tries to use the fearsome reputation of his boss to mantain the situation as it is until his return.
IF he'll be back...

GM Notes: Shiro is a low-level opponent designed to become an ally, thanks to his Flunkies and Streetwise (that makes him a good source of information). The K.O. Gang rules the neighbourhood in which the Players live, and even if they are criminals they still offer protection from violent bandits and more violent groups.
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

The Mercenary Sniper - this is a probable low-level enemy that the Players will have to face. Since since he is a mercenary it's also possibile to avoid combat or, why not, to turn him into an ally.

The Cop - a low-level ally, Code of Conduct rapresents paperwork and the fact that he is an onest, good cop!

The Bodyguard - he is the typical agent of one of the bad guys (that is a gangster, but just a pawn of a greater evil), maybe it's a good idea to add Hobby: Surveillance... because Guardian it's referred to people but also to the buildings that the gangster wants protected.

The Ogre - ok there's not much to say about him, anyway you can add more disadvantages (like Languorous or some Ineptitudes), make him more powerful or give him a Weapon...
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

Takuma (Secondary Png, final cost +3)

Takuma is the right hand man of the crime boss know as Mr. Z, he is an exceptional assassin that prefers fighting his opponent face to face.
He isn't ruthless and he always tries to kill his objective only, other people are usually spared even if he hates cowards.
Takuma knows that he is some sort of experiment created by a group of scientist that were experimenting with demons, these men were working for another criminal in order to create a super-henchman for their boss.
Mr. Z eliminated the scientist and adopted Takuma, as a son.
Takuma is famous for his signature move, the "Rain of Fury" - he simply stays near the enemy while a tempest of quick strikes hits the target, the sword doesn't even seem to be drawn. He has killed many opponents in this way so a warrior that will "force him to draw his sword" will surely be considered a worthy opponent.

GM Notes: Takuma is a strong opponent and not one that the players will have to kill soon. Probably they will meet him many times, until they will become his next target (well, as soon as Mr. Z will consider them a dangerous threat). He surely isn't the typical "bad guy".
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

I'm back after some adventures with my friends (but not enough!).
Here's one of the PCs:

Devin is an orphan with a mysterious past, adopted by the heroes. His Dependency is because he never had a real family (as long as he remembers) always become attached to anyone who seems an acceptable father-figure or older brother. And this can be annoying!

His "martial art" lets him fight using a soccer ball as a real weapon, the ball is considered like a boomerang, it always bounces back so that can be used like a ranged weapon, thanks to his skill.
His Power Moves are:
- Double Shot: kiks the soccer ball once then, when it bounces back (no matter if hits or not) he kicks again against another target.
- Power Shot: a simple powerful kick.
- Bouncing Shot: kicks the ball ricocheting it on various surfaces so that it's more difficult to dodge. Anyway it is less powerful than a direct hit.

Devin seems to have something in common with Ancel (both are young, skilled, dangerous and seem harmless boys), who is currently loooking for him, as is Grant Zurkrieg. But Why? The reason is probably hidden in his past that he can't remember (had he parents? Brothers? What if Ancel was a friend of his... or even a brother? As one of the other PCs once said maybe "AnCel -> AnGel and "DeviN -> DeviL").
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

Samantha Lane was a model and actress... well an aspiring model and actress, to tell the truth! She was chosen as the protagonist of a TV serie called "Samurai Princess" (a cross between Xena and Kill Bill), but while she was working, a group of Men in Black entered the set, looking for someone or something... being pretty dumb the Men in Black didn't recognized that the warriors were just actors!
And Samantha was hit by one of them and something snapped inside her. She started believing she was really born to be Bushido Bonnie, the heroine of the movie! So she protected the innocent bystanders, and the media showed everyone the image of her beheading one of the mysterious aggressors.
People believed that she really was like the heroine she portrayed, that she was a vigilante during her spare time, and criminals suddenly believed they found the nemesis that killed many gangsters last month.
So now a lot of people people loved her, and many others feared her.

But no, she absolutely has no special power of any kind, she isn't the best swordwoman of the world, she's not an athlete or an acrobat, she hasn't killed a lot of warriors! (the gangsters were killed by another character, a ninja)
But she doesn't do any effort to discurage these rumors, even if she knows that she's not the heroine of the movies, she hopes to learn to defend people and kill bad guys since she loves SO much her new role!!!

"The Twins" - These are her katanas, there's nothing more to say about them! (ok in the Tv serie they contain the soul of an ancient female samurai blah blah... )

Special Weakness (Secret?) - she is overestimated by everyone. This can seem a god thing but it is not! People come to ask her for help and will be disappointed if she won't act like the superheroine they believe she is, and enemies always use unnecessary deadly force to stop her!
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

someone leveled up their art skills :3
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

Joe_Mello wrote:someone leveled up their art skills :3
ahahahaha...no!! It's just that PCs deserve better pictures than NPCs!!! :lol:

coming next Koichi, the CatBoy swordsman!
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

Koichi is one of the pre-made characters I created for my friends. One of them chose it and decide to keep Koichi even after the first adventure I ran, that was nothing more that a one-shot made to test the system.

By the way Koichi was a cat, a normal grey cat... well to tell the truth it was a little special since it was a cat smarter than the others, that starred even in some youtube videos and tv shows! He was curious, and able to understand his owners very well, he did some tricks etc...
BUT this lead to some unwanted attentions from a group of sorcerers (Acacia among the others), one of them was obsessed with cats and kidnapped Koichi to transform it in her servant/bodyguard/lover!
It worked... BUT...
Koichi was born to be free and do what he likes, like he always did so when he turned into a cat again everyone was surprised, and he took this opportunity running away... to explore a new world!

Pity that the sorcerers hadn't finished his training so he is still inexperienced about his new condition. Also, his appearance isn't totally human since he has yellow cat eyes and cute little fangs, but he tries to hide them when he can.

Oh and there's another problem! Any time that he is near something that is linked to his past existence (like cat food, a mice, other cats...) there's a good probability that he reverts to his old form!

Anyway he's still around even after some adventures.What you've here are the stats of the first Koichi, now the experienced Koichi has developed Power Moves, a friendship with the swordsman Raine, a hatred for Grant Zurkrieg and considers Devin as his new owner (and Devin considers him as his Big Brother!)... oh but remember he's still a cat so don't be surprised if the owner for him is only the person who gives food and plays with him, NOT some sort of boss!
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

The Demon

Weapon +3 (sword)
Agile +1
Combat Skill +3
Defense +2
Strenght +1
Intimidation +1
Special Moves +2
Toughness +1
Hobby - Legends & Myths +2
Vitality +1

Amnesia -3
Bizarre Appearance -1
Bad Reputation -1
Unnatural Weakness-2 (sacred items and locations)
Impulsive-2
Ineptitude -3 (modern technology)
Room for Two -2 (Demon)
Wanted -2

Special Moves

- Soul Slash: -5 End +4, drains End.
The Demon attacks the enemy with the demonic claw. Even if armor can stop it, it enters felsh easily and steals his enemy's inner strenght

- Demon Fire: -20 End +5, Area, Fire affinity.
The Demon punches the ground below and Hell answers with pillars of flame

The Demon is of the protagonists of my next adventure (besides the Gunslinger and... I'll see what my new players would like to play).

Basically the story revolves around a group of amnesiac characters that were kidnapped and then saved by a normal peasant that was hoping to steal food or equipment from some strange soldiers... and instead found them!
Later they discover that they are in a fantasy world but the soldiers who kidnapped them serve the Gods and they have very advanced equipment like lasers and mecha. Anyway it'll be soon obvious that these "Gods" are just normal humas with technology that are absorbing the energy from the lands destroying life (that's what happened in our characters' countries)... but why? And why the King of the Gods wanted them alive?
It even seems that one of them, the Gunslinger, was one of the soldiers of the Gods. Did he betray them or is a spy still working for his King?

Anyway, let's speak of the Demon! Like the other characters he can't remember even his name and he has only some glimpse of his past. His left arm is the limb of a demon that would have possessed him if it hadn't been sealed by someone (surely a powerful cleric). Anyway the demon still lives in his soul and he can use his powers.
Last edited by markodude on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

The Gunslinger

Weapon +2 (Pistol, ranged)
Human Arsenal +3 (Firearms)
- Sniper Rifle (+3, ranged, extra accuracy, activation)
- Submachinegun (+1, ranged, inaccurate, rapid strikes)
Agile +2
Defense +2
Perceptive +1
Pilot +1
Hobby– Firearms+4
Quick +2
Beauty +1

Amnesia -3
Code of Conduct -2 (gentleman)
Dependency -2 (his "lucky" weapons!)
Impulsive -2
Fear -2 (snakes)
Wanted -3 (bandit)

Here's the scoundrel of the group! The Gunslinger comes from a distant land, in which firearms and explosives are common (it's a desert full of little towns like those seen in western movies). It seems that he was a bandit in the past, and he has a lot of bounty hunters looking for him, anyway it also seema that he can understand perfectly how to use the technology of the "Gods"... but why?
Last edited by markodude on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jandar
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Jandar »

Oh my gosh! Those are really some awesome pictures, and the characters rock, as well. Well done indeed.

My favorites so far are... (obviously) Bushido Bonnie, Koichi, and the Gunslinger. I subscribed to this thread a minute ago so I'll get the latest info when you add any more characters.

You just made me want to pick up my copy of OVA and play this thing again.

All right, I promise it won't be long. Good times!
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

Thanks! Most of the pics I use comes from Falcoon's art or Dungeon Fighter Online artworks.
Well I'll use these characters BUT I'm waiting for the 2nd edition!
Anyway let's go:

The Martial Artist

Acrobatic +2
Martial Arts +2
Agile +2
Combat Skill +2
Beautiful +2
Defense +2
Special Moves +1
Toughness +1
Quick +2

Amnesia -3
Code of Conduct -2 (loyal, honorable fighter, won't fight those who are unarmed/surprised and those who surrender)
Ineptitude -3 (modern technology)
Hatred -2 (honorless scum: betrayers, liars and so on)
Pacifist -1
Poor -2 (and she doesn't need/want being rich!)
Rival(s) -2 (several martial arts students, even if she doesn't know them!)
Stubborn -2

Special Moves

- Ki Blast: -5 End +2, ranged, energy affinity.
The typical "blue energy ball". Looks like an "Hadouken" :wink:

- Ki Strike: -10 End +4, energy affinity.
A simple kick or fist surrounded by blue energy. Stronger than a normal attack.

The Martial Artist is an honorable person. She only has some memories of the past, a pagoda in the woods, the giant statue of Buddha and a group of martial artists in orange clothes training together.
Even if she doesn't remember more of her life, she is costaintly challenged by other fighters who want to test her skills.
Jandar
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Jandar »

markodude wrote:Thanks! Most of the pics I use comes from Falcoon's art or Dungeon Fighter Online artworks.
Well I'll use these characters BUT I'm waiting for the 2nd edition!
Awesome. Seems like you have found some great websites to get art from! I really wasn't familiar with either site.

A lot of it looks a little Street Fighter-ish to me, but I'm not an expert. I like those pieces better than some of the cover art I've seen on some actual manga.

I wish you best of luck for your upcoming game(s). I'm excited to run some second edition, too.
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Some Npcs from my campaign

Post by markodude »

Well I played DFO for a while (as a gunslinger), also I usually create the NPCs (story, abilities and everytinh else) starting from an image, an artwork that gives inspiration...

The Cleric

Combat Skill +2
Charisma +1
Defense +2
Strength +2
Special Moves +2
Occult Knowledge +2
Hobby: Theology +2
Toughness +1
Vitality +2
Willpower +2

Amnesia -3
Code of Conduct -2 (sincere and always help those in need)
Code of Conduct -1 (never use weapons)
Focus -1 (Special moves require the Cross)
Ineptitude -3 (modern tech)
Pacifist -2
Poor -2
Guardian -2 (those in need)

Special moves

Healing Dove: -7 En (5 +2 or more), ranged, Heal +3. Normally using 7 En heals 3 points but for every 2 En points added, other 3 points are also healed (as for Heal).
The cleric summons a white dove made of pure energy, that flies and heals the target

Battle Hymn: -10 En, ranged, Multiple Targets x2. +1 Willpower, +1 Passion (this combat), Special Flaw (concentration and the ability to sing the hymn are needed)
The cleric inspire up to three allies with a hymn of victory

The Cleric is the typical gentle giant. It seems clear that he was a soldier or a mercenary in the past but now he's a man of faith. He always carries a huge cross strapped tu hos back. Many believe that this is a powerful weapon but this isn't exactly true: the cleric won't use weapons anymore, but also he needs that big totem to use his powers.

(I "played" a bit with the rules in order to create a character with support spells. I hope this won't be unbalanced)

Francisco Fiero Fizzarro

Hobby: Fencing +2
Hobby: Fencing Trivia +4 (history of duels, weapons and warriors)
Defense +1
Passion (Duels) +1
Lucky +2
Vitality +1
Filthy Rich +3
Flunkies +2
Weapon +2 (sword)

Code of Conduct -1 (gentleman)
Ineptitude -2 (modern tech)
Absent Minded -1
Naive -1
Obsession -2 (travels)
Overconfident -1
Unperceptive -2
Pacifist -1

Fizzarro is a recurring Npc in my adventures (was introduced in one D&d adventure months ago). His role is simple: he's a friendly spoiled rich man obsessed with travels and fencing. The first time the Pcs met him, he was exploring an archipelago as the captain of a galleon. The second time was writing a book about fencing techniques and he asked the help of the characters, one of them even had a friendly duel with him and later became a collaborator. Basically Fizzarro lets the players use his ship, he already has a lot of money so he won't ask for much gold... he prefers exchanging tales and some help in his various projects. Not a hero, but still a good guy.