Modern Teen Horror Fighters

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Siroh
Worthy Tortoise

Modern Teen Horror Fighters

Post by Siroh »

An OVA setting in need of a better name. :)

I've been watching 11eyes lately, and it reminding me of the parts I liked about Monochrome Factor, which reminded me of all sorts of other anime, so I started writing notes about character archetypes. Maybe you all can help me flesh some of them out. I've decided that a limit of +6 total is fine due to the nature of the series (monsters without mercy fighting the heroes for the eventual fate of the world one minor confrontation at a time).

Here is one that is pretty much fully fleshed out, the Benevolent Spirit Entity, and one that is anything but. I've sort of begun using some of the new names for Revised Abilities, but I haven't been able to glean how modifiers will work so I'm just using shorthand. Attack should rightfully be a suite of attacks for each character archetype, but I'm not going to worry about that.

Code: Select all

Benevolent Spirit Entity
"The scales of balance slip, and we must be off to restore them before it is too late."
	This character is actually a spirit themselves, but instead of fighting for the bad guys wants to prevent the coming apocalypse or destroy the main villain(s). Often a powerful being, but ultimately incapable of defeating the main villain(s) on their own.
Example: Saber (Fate/Stay Night) or Shirogane (Monochrome Factor)
20	Agile +2
	Attack +2
	Charismatic +2
	Incorporeal Form +1
	Invisibility +2
	Quick +3
	Perceptive +2
	Spirit Medium +1
	Strong +2
	Tough +3
-15	Bizarre Appearance: Big White Wolf with 5 Ghostly Fires Hovering around its body in a circle -2
	Code of Conduct -3
	Hatred: The Dark Ones -1
	Ineptitude: Actions Requiring Thumbs -3
	Overconfident -1
	Shy -1
	Stubborn -1
	Wanted: Dark Spirits -3
+5
The most unorthodox thing I did here was count Ineptitude at full value since it covers so much more than one skill or thing. Any help renaming that particular flaw is welcome.

Recently Awakened Psychic
"Why won't you all just leave me alone? I don't want to do these things!"
	This character has amazing mental powers, but they have only awakened recently and are hard for the character to control, or hard to use with finesse. This means that their power is always on full blast whenever it's used, or they can't activate it all the time, or that they can activate it more or less when they wish, but the results or the effect is unpredictable.
Example: Elis Shihou (Night Wizard!)
	Attack +4
	Barrier +4
	Telekinesis +3
	Tough +1
Obviously I'm looking for suggestions about flaws someone who suddenly had chaotic psychokinetic powers would have in a series where the supernatural is real but nobody knows about it.
Siroh
calibur1
Worthy Tortoise

Post by calibur1 »

I love the idea. I've been working on my own Tomb Raider meets Lovecraft-type OVA anime.

As for a title... How about "Xenofighters"?
Siroh
Worthy Tortoise

Demon Slayer

Post by Siroh »

Demon Slayer
"Hey, ugly! Leave them alone! Your fight is with me!"
	This character has been gifted with physical attributes greater than a normal human can develop all in the way of becoming a force to annihilate demons and dark spirits.
Example: Akira Nikaido (Monochrome Factor)
+13
	Attack +2
	Agile +2
	Quick +3
	Strong +2
	Tough +3
	Vigorous +1
	Bad Reputation: Bad Things Happen to these who get close to me -1
	Boorish: Yakuza Thug Attitude -1
	Compulsion: Protect Innocents -1
	Hatred: Dark Spirit that killed my mother -3
	Restricted Freedom: Teenager living Alone (Job, School) -1
	Secret: Origin -1
	Sensitivity: Talk about her upbringing -1
+4 total
This character is sort of like an anime version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. For unknown reasons (possibly descended from spirits, cursed at a young age, found a artifact destined to be owned by a king/queen) the character is super strong, fast and tough. Tough enough in fact to put a serious beating on spirits that manifest and attack when she is around. The example character is a male, but this particular archetype is written up as female because I suddenly thought about a demon fighting Madoka (Kimagure Orange Road)
Siroh
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: Modern Teen Horror Fighters

Post by Clay »

Siroh wrote:Obviously I'm looking for suggestions about flaws someone who suddenly had chaotic psychokinetic powers would have in a series where the supernatural is real but nobody knows about it.
Well, you could always go for Social Weaknesses. Do the powers give him weird glowy tattoos that don't go away? Bizarre Appearance right there.

As for loss of control, you can always give Perks and flaws to Telekinesis. Extra Damage, Open to Attack, Inaccurate, Delayed, Area Effect (to represent accidentally throttling friends), and so forth. Revised Edition makes this perfectly all right. :)