Some Questions on OVA

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Galeros
Shelled Plebeian

Some Questions on OVA

Post by Galeros »

Hello everyone!

I am curious about the OVA system. I looked at the preview, and I liked what I saw, but I know Wise Turtle is coming out with a Revised Version sometime soon(When?). Also, can I get the OVA system at chain bookstores like Barnes & Noble?

Also, can OVA do an anime, like say, Bleach?
Dreamstryder
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Dreamstryder »

From what I know from looking at the OVA Revised blog, while OVA is now only released in PDF format at RPGNow, it seems Clay is aiming for OVA Revised to be released in chains like Borders and Barnes & Noble. (Hoping Clay comes to elaborate...)

As for OVA now, I can tell you it's the smoothest-running and most stylish system on the market I've found for doing pop-Japanese-style role-playing (or rules-light role-playing in general); I've played it running a Dragon Quest-like game, an arcade-style fighting game, science-fantasy, even a Paper Mario-like game with no stretching or rewriting of the rules, easily! Bleach should be a cake-walk. :) (Bankai, for example, would be Transformation, and moves doable only in bankai would have the Requirement flaw).

The Ricochet System itself feels energetic, so while it can do any setting and genre, it doesn't feel styleless or bland.
Galeros
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Galeros »

Thanks. :)
zeth
Worthy Tortoise

Post by zeth »

But do get ready for people to get confused on Weapons, Martial Arts, and power moves. Oh and Hobbies. As a rule I don't allow anyone to take hobbies that work in combat because it just gets confusing.
Oni
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Oni »

zeth wrote:But do get ready for people to get confused on Weapons, Martial Arts, and power moves. Oh and Hobbies. As a rule I don't allow anyone to take hobbies that work in combat because it just gets confusing.
For someone new to rpg's maybe, but I wouldn't say they're so much confusing as just a bit more complicated than the rest of the rules. For example Hobbies in their combat form just allow you to be good at a specific type of combat rather than combat in general at a cheaper build cost. I.E. if you took Hobby (Kung Fu) rather than being equally good at all combat situations as with Combat Skill, you only get bonuses in situations in which you can use your Kung Fu.
zeth
Worthy Tortoise

Post by zeth »

That my friend is where you are dead wrong. I was playing with some oWoD veterans and had to keep telling them how many dice to roll and so on. For some reason two free dice +dice in relevant stats was hard to grasp until they played halfway through the game.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I can attest to the fact that I've seen even veteran gamers make the darnedest mistakes. Power Move, Weapon, and their kin seem to throw many people for a loop, and in the early days of this board I had to consistently explain you do not add these things to rolls!

Hopefully I've removed all potential for confusion in the new edition, with the greatly streamlined Attack ability and a no-room-for-confusion overview in the combat chapter.

Regarding the bookstore thing...it's definitely a goal of the new edition, but one that may or may not happen. As I explained on the blog, I had a potential deal to get into bookstores with OVA, but with the economy and the continued delays, this deal may not exist anymore.

But we'll see. Glad to see you on the board, Galeros.
Galeros
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Galeros »

Any idea on when the Revised Edition might be out? :)
Galeros
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Galeros »

I downloaded it, on what page can I find how many ability points I am should give players?
Galeros
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Galeros »

Okay, I have figured most everything out I think. But, when do you add dice to the normal 2d6? If I have a +2 to say, Barrier, then I would roll 4d6, right?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Galeros wrote:Any idea on when the Revised Edition might be out? :)
Unfortunately, I only have a little more idea than you do. Procuring artwork is a slow process, but ultimately worth the trouble, I hope. :) I would love to see the new OVA come out in time for OVA's fifth anniversary on February 12, 2010...but we'll see.
Galeros wrote:Okay, I have figured most everything out I think. But, when do you add dice to the normal 2d6? If I have a +2 to say, Barrier, then I would roll 4d6, right?
You are correct. In case you need the official text, check the second grey box on page 77:
Remember that no matter what you are trying to do, you will always add or subtract from your two dice default. Even Abilities that normal characters cannot attempt at all (such as Teleport) are added to the two dice default.
Galeros
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Galeros »

Clay wrote:Unfortunately, I only have a little more idea than you do. Procuring artwork is a slow process, but ultimately worth the trouble, I hope. :) I would love to see the new OVA come out in time for OVA's fifth anniversary on February 12, 2010...but we'll see.
Ah cool. So, will I be able to obtain a phsyical copy by some means? PDFs are okay, but I prefer a dead tree version. :)
You are correct. In case you need the official text, check the second grey box on page 77:
Remember that no matter what you are trying to do, you will always add or subtract from your two dice default. Even Abilities that normal characters cannot attempt at all (such as Teleport) are added to the two dice default.
Ah, thanks. :D
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I'm an unrepentant bibliophile myself, but I'm afraid a print version would be at least 6 months from the PDF's release.
Galeros
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Galeros »

Clay wrote:I'm an unrepentant bibliophile myself, but I'm afraid a print version would be at least 6 months from the PDF's release.
Ah, I see. Thanks. :)
Jandar
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Jandar »

Galeros wrote:I downloaded it, on what page can I find how many ability points I am should give players?
Hello Galeros,

Sorry if this comes late, but I haven't been to this particular game forum lately.

The rules you are looking for are not set in stone in OVA. There is no definitive, restrictive point sum or point limit for your starting Abilities. It really depends on the GM's plans and preferences, and on the genre and campaign style chosen.

Having said that, the info you need should be on page 19, right unter the header "Limiting the Character".
I'm mostly using the Ground Zero option for character generation myself. :)