Recreating an attack.

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

dexdeldio
Shelled Plebeian

Recreating an attack.

Post by dexdeldio »

Greetings I'm looking to remake this attack in ova

the attack is based loosely off of JoJo's bizarre adventure basically the character fires his gun then regardless of whether it hits or misses (as long as the bullet goes all the way through) he can choose to redirect it to hit the same target or even a different enemy. many times the charicter shot again while the bullet was being redirected making a pincer attack from both sides

without any perks or flaws other the the ones above this is what I imagine it might look like

ranged +5 Armor Piercing +5 Redirect +5 special perk(continues bullet <may re direct even if the enemy is hit>) +5? special perk(automatic attack<if redirected may still take an action without loosing control of the attack>) +10? Special flaw (cancel redirect if after armor calculation enemy's armor >=1) -5? Weapon gun lvl1 -5

I'm likely to add more perks and flaws based on specific character traits but this is the basic ideal so any feedback is appreciated are the numbers about right? should anything be worded differently? Can anything be combined easily? as redirect is right now it would be impossible to attack while the attack is being redirected would making it house rules that a redirected attack just counts as a normal attack (allowing you to take a -2 on both rolls to take another action) make redirect too strong?

Note: because I am the GM in my games and my right hand man is currently away from computer I'm asking you all
Note: I'm using a partial adaptation of the new rules in that this is a normal attack and not power move though the only difference in this calculation would be a +10 endurance appended to the end.

Thank you I look forward to reading your reply.
Me? I'm just this guy, ya know?
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

1) The character uses his gun attack with the Redirect perk
2) The character uses his attack AND redirects on his 2nd turn (taking a -2 penalty to each)
3) ????????
4) Profit
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

*laughs* as Joe so subtlely pointed out, I think you may be taking too literal of an approach to represent the Ability. I've never seen JJBA, but I'm guessing his wacky bullets are more a "wow cool" effect than anything. You'd probably be better off just making a ranged attack and having the Player DESCRIBE it as being redirected every turn.

Perhaps something more like this:

Attack
Ranged (+5), Extra Damage (+5), Low Penetration (-5), Weapon (-5)

This creates a damaging attack that is hindered by armor but costs no Endurance to fire. If the Player wants to "pincer" attack the target, simply have him take a Multiple Actions penalty and describe the attack however he wants.

If you really want the rules to do the work, then maybe like this:

Attack
Ranged (+5), Extra Damage (+5), Special Perk: Unlimited Redirect (+10), Special Flaw: Armor negates redirect (-5), Weapon (-5)

Define Unlimited Redirect as you described above. Essentially, it's an attack that will cost Endurance, but once fired, does not need to be fired again. You can then go about firing another shot, which on its own can be redirected ad nauseum.

Or, if we're going to be adding more Revised Edition to the mix:

Attack
Ranged (+5), Extra Damage (+5), Special Perk: Unlimited Redirect (+10), Ammunition x2 (-10), Special Flaw: Armor negates redirect (-5), Weapon (-5).

Ammunition, taken twice, gives the character only 5 (or 6, if we're being generous for the sake of revolver-ness) bullets. So while redirecting is no longer required to conserve Endurance, it's a very good idea if the Player doesn't want to waste precious shots. Likewise, fighting Armored opponents may be a very risky endeavor.