Rant

A free-for-all place for any discussion under the sun. Just find yourself a log and chat away!

Moderators: Clay, Jade

jakk9000
Worthy Tortoise

Rant

Post by jakk9000 »

Oh my GOD DMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry about that I needed to say that real quick.

To explain I joined a rpg locally called Dark Heresy (It's based off of Warhammer 40k) and I thought that I would play a Battle Sister who (because of her class) is an orphan because her parents died in a war saving their squad and has been living in a boarding school since so she has had a sheltered life of always being taught religion and combat skills. So because she is a little stuck up and reacts a bit more then the other player characters she is now called a Battle Bitch and I politely asked them to stop calling her that but despite my pleas they keep calling her that and treating her like she is a 2nd class citizen and taking away all of her weapons (until I got them back and if they try again I'll blast them).

Sorry for the long post but what do guys think I should do?
Father of Dragons
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Father of Dragons »

Talk to them before the game? And if that doesn't work, not play with these people? An oft repeated piece of wisdom is: "No gaming is better than bad gaming." If they're behavior keeps you from having fun, leave. Life's too short to put up with nig-nogs.
"If that's pure logic I'll take vanilla."
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Despite having written OVA, I actually have little experience with different role-playing groups, but even so, this doesn't sound like a very friendly bunch. I mean, running jokes get started, and things like "The Battle Bitch" may be ceaselessly funny to some even though it's a bit hurtful to you. But when you go so far as to single out a character to lose weapons on a regular basis, well...it seems a lot more like bullying than a friendly joke at your expense.

As FoD said, try talking to them before the game starts, (and not during the raucous fun-having). If they actually care about having you in their group, they'll understand and mend their attitudes.

If they don't, well, perhaps it's time to have fun elsewhere.
jakk9000
Worthy Tortoise

Post by jakk9000 »

thanks guys it that helps to know people out there care I will try that today I just hope they listen... the sad part is they are fun to hang out with when they aren't playing rpgs.
JuddG
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Rant

Post by JuddG »

jakk9000 wrote:I thought that I would play a Battle Sister...treating her like she is a 2nd class citizen and taking away all of her weapons...
Looks like you picked a group of jerks to play with. Likely the best solution is to walk away from the table if they are being disrespectful to you and your character. Now, if it is just "in character" that they are doing this, I would suggest the following:

* Be GrimDark! If you need to know what that is, trust to the internets to tell you. 40K is all about the GrimDark.

* Sisters of Battle are the Emperor's chosen far more than a bunch of Inquisitor boot-licks. Remind them of this constantly. Remind them how they shame the Holy Emperor and that He is always watching.

* Pull rank. Imperial Guardsmen are intended to throw themselves on traps so that the Space Marines and Sisters of Battle don't get inconvienced by them.

* Let the Inquisitor know you think the men's attitude hints of insurrection and almost Tau-like caste systems. Suggest to him or the Commisar that an example execution might make things run more smotthly so the Holy Emperor's business can be done with greater dilligence. For extra Brownie Points, offer to perform this service yourself.

* Your weapons were issued to you by the Emperor's Chosen for the service of His Holy Will. To attempt to take them from you is disallowable anywhere in Imperial Space. You not only have a right to keep your weapons, you have a Holy obligation to. "Eternal Villigence is the Calling of the Armed."

* Volunteer your favorites for martyrdom. If they refuse to sacrifice themselves, just make a tsking noise and imply (or state) their cowardice is shameful.

* Be hardcore. The next person to call you names must be taught a lesson. Tell him why you are doing it and remind him that your brutality is to make sure the message is received. "Don't make me regret sparing your life by forcing me to revist this lesson..."

40K is about honor, bravery, and (let's face it) hopelessness. Embrace the hell out of that. You are a fanatic and fanatics don't sweat the small stuff and don't worry overmuch about those who do not service the Holy Cause.

Use lots of Capitalized Terms when speaking and remind them that your entire purpose is to keep Mankind clean of Xeno and Chaos influence - by violence, purge, and constant suspicion of all motives.

"In the dark future of the 41st Millennium, life is endless war."
Judd M. Goswick
Gamemaster
Legion Anime/Gaming Society
jakk9000
Worthy Tortoise

Post by jakk9000 »

Well it worked mostly because I had to pull out one of their limp bodies after the monastery roof exploded and saved the rest of them when the Sisters of Battle chapter for this planet showed up.