Draws on tests

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Salith
Shelled Plebeian

Draws on tests

Post by Salith »

I couldn't find this in the book, but what happens when you have 2 people dicing off in a contested roll, and the result is a draw?
The answer that both loose doesn't always work. For instance;
X is trying to intimidate Y. Y is resisting. Both get an equal value after burning off all their Endurance into dice. What then happens?
Thanks for the assist.
calibur1
Worthy Tortoise

Post by calibur1 »

That's entirely up to the GM. Ties could go to the PC, NPC, the bigger dice pool, etc. I personally continue the contest another round until the tie is broken.
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

At least with combat, the defender wins all ties, so I tend to apply that to most opposed rolls. Of course, your mileage may vary and also depends on the scenario.
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

In the revised text I'm working on, it states that ties may result in temporary or lasting stalemates at the GM's discretion. In an arm wrestling match, this may just mean that both characters grunt a little and then reroll. Two world-class sumos may warrant a larger degree of permanence, with such a tie lasting for minutes of even hours as the over-sized heroes struggle it out.

In the end though, usually a reroll is appropriate.

(In situations against extra and otherwise unimportant NPCs, I generally think you should let the PC win and ignore the tie.)