Any favorite anime of 2007

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Father of Dragons
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Father of Dragons »

All I've had time for lately, alas, is .Hack//Roots and Tsubasa. But I've been enjoying them immensely.
"If that's pure logic I'll take vanilla."
Sadinotna
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Sadinotna »

Gurren Lagann by far if only for Lord Genome.
(The whole thing is gar as fuck, but 3:30 onwards is the most badass thing in the history of anime.)

Yes, the ending of the show was a bit... subpar, but honestly. It's like people who complain about the ending of Cloverfield, even though J. J. Abrams is right there in the credits for all to see.. What part of "Gainax" did the complainers not get?

[/rant]

anyway, as for other stuff, the critical consensus is that Code Geass is the best anime of the year. I agree with that. I would also like to add that if you hate Gundam in general or Gundam Seed specifically, it is quite possibly the best aniime ever made. (episode 22 comes to mind...)

On the non-mecha front, Wolf and Spice (or whatever they've translated it as this week) is excellent.
JuddG
Worthy Tortoise

Post by JuddG »

Sadinotna wrote:...about the ending of Cloverfield...
Speaking of which...think about this:

"HAMMERDOWN PROTOCOL: Authorized.

Deploying Hammerdown device immediately.
Area cleared of personnel.
Pilot is confirmed in theatre and will rendevouz with Hammerdown hull in 3 seconds.
"Rainbow" clearance personnel awaiting in Volcano Research Center.

14 seconds to Primary ignition. Checklist:

Exo-musculature - go
Bipedal drivetrain - go
Ablative Armor - go
Waldo control systems - go
Chest mounted Beam Cannon - go
Rocket-Propelled Fist Subweapons - go
Plamsa Sword weapons system - go
All subweapon systems tested and go

Pilot skiff mounted to Hammerdown cranial pilot mount.

Hammerdown - LAUNCH!!!!"

What if the Hammerdown Protocol wasn't the carpet bombing, but in fact America's hidden Super-Mecha project? I like this idea so very much.

I kept hoping there would be a scene where the creature was shown in the background talking to a small child and the heroes saw it, but had no time to linger and figure out what was up.
Judd M. Goswick
Gamemaster
Legion Anime/Gaming Society
calibur1
Worthy Tortoise

Post by calibur1 »

I just wanted to add that I saw Appleseed: Ex Machina over the weekend. If you liked the first movie, you'll definitely like this one too. And I'm almost through the Witchblade series, and it is really good.
Delicious Orange
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Delicious Orange »

2007 was killer year for anime, especially in contrast with the rather dry selection from 2006.

Gainax made history again with Gurren Lagann and I couldn't have been happier. Goodbye Mr. Despair proved to be a great, if niche, comedy that I think could really prove to be fun to work on if the right group gets to localize it. Code Geass was already a favorite of mine when I found out fanservice legend Takahiro Kimura was doing the characters, the series just got better from there. I can't say I followed much on the shoujo front for new 2007 releases, but I did finally get to finish watching Kamichu and it's cemented a spot in my heart as one of my favorite feel-good shows. "The Girl who Leapt Through Time" was solid theatrical title and definitely one of the better releases in 2007.

The only other title of serious note I can think of was the series of experimental pilots Studio 4C released. It came out in a collection called Amazing Nuts at the end of 2006 and it's still at the top of my most anticipated titles list. I know they did some random work here and there over 2007 that helped them pay the bills, but I'm still waiting for them to sweep me off my feet again with their next full featured release. I'm particularly hoping to see "The World Turned Against Us" get the green light to grace theaters with it's psychodelic technicolor kung fu action. One can only hope, but as usual, things at Studio 4C are being kept under tight wraps.
jakk9000
Worthy Tortoise

Post by jakk9000 »

Zero No Tsukaima
Ouran High School Host club
Rizelmine