Replays?

A free-for-all place for any discussion under the sun. Just find yourself a log and chat away!

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Clay
Dangerously Sane

Replays?

Post by Clay »

Is anyone familiar with Japanese "replays"? I would like to know a little more about how they're structured and how they are made.

For those who have no clue what I'm talking about, replays are, essentially, transcribed RPG sessions popular in Japan, often printed in gaming magazines and their own collected books. Record of Lodoss War was originally a Dungeons and Dragon Replay!
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

I am by no means an expert, but if I were to intuitively guess the stucture, it would be as follows:

The game convenes as per normal, but everything said and done is recorded (IRC probably makes this easier). Then, post-session, there's some editing and revising and thus the finished product. The GM would serve as the voice of the narrator, and might even provide some extra material if there are developments by NPC's that the party would not have known otherwise.

I see replays doing well in a system like this because of the nature of the material, possibly even better than Exalted, because OVA isn't as bogged down in combat description.
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
JuddG
Worthy Tortoise

Post by JuddG »

Joe_Mello wrote:The game convenes as per normal, but everything said and done is recorded (IRC probably makes this easier).
I was in a game once where they had a person typing a log of events and quotes and it bogged the game down quite a bit. Play would frequently stop to let the logger catch up and we would almost "play to the log". I always used to pray that we would get a court reporter to join the group so we could talk at normal speed and not worry.

IRC play logs are great for this, as you say. I have the good fortune of having some old play logs in IRC log format. I also have some pals who have either analog or digital recordings of session. Kinda neat!
Judd M. Goswick
Gamemaster
Legion Anime/Gaming Society
zeth
Worthy Tortoise

Post by zeth »

In the MAID RPG book they used replays to basically show you an example of the game in play. If done right they are entertaining, if done wrong they are annoying.
Dreamstryder
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Replays?

Post by Dreamstryder »

Hm. I've DMed two D&D campaigns that I also "replayed"; after the 7-hour first session, I went to the computer a typed it out before I forgot it. Depending on the session, most of the things to remember are either DM-instigated (already in my DM notes) or player-initiated (during breaks I scribbled notable PC actions in the margins of my DM notes according to when they occurred). It was all surprisingly easy to recall If I type the entire replay that or the next day, and I could ask the players if I forgot exactly how their character said something.
GYaLaNi
Shelled Plebeian

Mansfield

Post by GYaLaNi »

Mansfield

Mansfield is borough located in the north of Nottinghamshire. A former mining powerhouse it remains the largest township in the Nottinghamshire county and forms the main metropolis in the Mansfield town supervision section and ingredient of the Mansfield Urban Area.
The name Mansfield is thought to produce from the river Maun which runs in all respects the community and the local hills of the Maun Valley, the river was historically used to support the agricultural field everywhere it which gave mount to the name Maunsfield, changing in excess of hour to Mansfield. The natives of Mansfield (including Pleasley, Forest Town and parts of Rainworth/Clipstone) as of 2008 is 67,885.
Coal Mining and The Strikes

Once upon a time a the city was on the whole supported past the mining industry along with the adjacent areas of Stanton Hill and Pleasley, Coal mining was the main originator of employment in the courtyard with a portly reckon of men of working age being employed next to the coal mines. Uncountable Mansfieldians of a unfluctuating seniority at one's desire mention the book of finishing school on the Friday and starting down the coal mines on the following Monday.
During the Miners strikes of 1984-1985 coal up workers in the Nottinghamshire room were less supporting of the proposed nationalised direct owing in as for to the mastery conditions enjoyed through the coal miners in Nottinghamshire when compared with those of coal mine workers in South Wales. This in fighting and the disputed lack of a nationalised ballot caused multifarious miners in the Nottinghamshire size to at working cranny of the blow the gaff with the vein at Bentink being the merely mine to persist in product throughout the strike. This judgement to continue working stuck discord with supply workers across the UK leading to violent clashes at the sites of pits that chose to resume operating. The coal miners that became disillusioned with the NUM and chose to carry on with working eventually separated to figure the UDM (Union of Autonomous Mineworkers) which has its Headquaters in Mansfield.
Because of the perceived strikebreaking aside Mansfield coal miners the discourtesy “Scab” was habitually applied to people in the Mansfield limit, through time this has thankfully waned in any way it can still be heard in football stadiums when the local Mansfield Municipality highlight, predominantly not later than the supporters of the local rivals Chesterfield FC. The township of Chesterfield was particularly emotionally unnatural before the miners crash and it caused important tension in the region between Chesterfield and Mansfield. Late to the Mining strike the fans of both teams could watch the event in dependent on tunefulness and without incident.
Mansfield Miserable

Mansfield was also the home of Mansfield Brewery. Built in 1855 on the plat of of prior coalfields the brewery was promptly was the largest independent brewer in the UK. At the hight of its renown in the 1980s Mansfield Bitter was advertised with a photograph of then US president Ronald Reagan with the motto “He may be president of the most dynamic realm on Mother earth but he’s not at any time had a pint of Mansfield” or “Not much matches Mansfield”. Up until the till 1990?s the brewery was entire of the towns biggest employers.
In the later half of 1999 the brewery was sold in a £253million stock to its recent owners “Wolverhampton & Dudley Breweries” which was followed in 2001 with the trend of moulding missing of the burgh to other parts of the country. The place of the former brewery fell into a status of decay in front of being fully demolished in 2008, the location has been up an eye to sale but has failed to entice any buyers. Proposals bear been pur forward to transfor the plat into offices, non-working facilities and residential developments.
Terseness

These days the public sector is individual of the largest employers in the dominion with many people employed in viewable sector roles or so called parapublic sector roles. one of the largest director in the area is Mansfield Part Council.
In appendage to the public sector there is a adipose retail sector in the acreage centred 'round the prominent supermarket uptight in the hub of the town. There is also the generous shopping complex the “Four Seasons Cluster” containing many overweight name stores such as a magnanimous Primark, Topshop and W.H Smith.

The night-time conciseness in Mansfield is also a large rise of calling in the quarter and executive someone is concerned a substantive element of the towns economy. The hamlet has many pubs about the city nucleus including 2 Weatherspoons and a Yates wine lodge. The duct cynosure clear of the night-life are the pronounced blackness clubs in the community centre.
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

Oh hey, there's spam still here.

Anyway, I just wanted to link to this, seeing as it's relevant.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... red-dragon
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I saw that! Fascinating indeed. I had already seen the article in my RSS reader, but I appreciate you sharing just the same.

As for the spam, I find a random treatise on Nottinghamshire to be amusing enough to leave it be. I have a weird sense of humor.