When to add or not to add Quick?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Jandar
Worthy Tortoise

When to add or not to add Quick?

Post by Jandar »

I keep seeing a slight problem in the OVA rules every time I make characters with a combat ability as well as Quick.

If I read the rules correctly, you can add your dice (levels) in Quick to your dice in Combat Skill or Hobby (fighting style). Does this apply to all fight scenes?

More importantly maybe, if you can add the full number of dice from Quick to the dice from Combat, could or should you also allow them to be added to Defense? What about ninja and martial arts type characters who want to attack as swiftly as they want to evade (and vice versa)?

One player in my last game found that unbalancing, saying that if you can use Quick to boost both attacks and defenses, that would mean you are actually paying for the Quick levels once, but get double their worth.

Having a samurai with Hobby (Katana Sword) +2 and Quick +3 is exactly the same as having a samurai with only Hobby (Katana Sword) +5, at least for attacks in a fight scene. The difference is that the Quick fighter can also use Quick in many other situations, and even augment his regular Defense, making "Quick" a very powerful and popular choice indeed.

Any ideas?
Father of Dragons
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Father of Dragons »

(I'm away from my rules right now, so all of this is from memory, so errors are entirely possible.)

I've always interpreted Quick to apply to defense when you are consciously dodging and initiative, which while very useful, isn't as overpowered as letting it add to attack and defense both.

Now, as I understand it, it is Agility that adds to either ranged attacks, or all attacks (Clay said somewhere on this board that he allows it for all attacks), as well as various other activities. This would seem to make it strictly better than Combat Skill, so I balance it by having Combat Skill to also act as a knowledge ability as well, allowing you to take a roll to analyze your opponent's skill level and fighting style.
"If that's pure logic I'll take vanilla."