Chases in OVA a la Spirit of the Century

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Eisenmann
Worthy Tortoise

Chases in OVA a la Spirit of the Century

Post by Eisenmann »

I grafted the Chase rules from Spirit of the Century onto OVA and they worked great!

Assume you're being chased in-game.

In short, declare a DN that you (chasee) want to hit for the maneuver that you'll attempt. If you pass, you pull the maneuver off. If you fail, you subtract the margin of failure from your mode of transportation's endurance.

The chaser rolls against the DN you stated. If the chaser succeds, then subtract the margin of success from your mode of transportation's endurance. If they fail, then they subtract the margin of failure from their or their mode of transportation's endurance.

The chase ends when someone runs out of endurance. To make the chase take less time, multiply DN x margin of failure/success.

The test scenario was of two giant spiders chasing my wife's elf who was on horseback tearing down a forest path. She helped the whittling of the spiders' endurance with her bow but a few times things got a little spooky.

Long spider legs were grasping through the ebb and flow of the chase as the foul arachnids verged on overtaking the horse and elven rider.
wuxiasnake
Worthy Tortoise

Post by wuxiasnake »

cool ... spirit is my other favourite game
[b]Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.[/b]" -- [i]Confucius[/i]

[url]http://nzrag.com/[/url]
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Interesting! It certainly gives Endurance more of a purpose than just fuel for special attacks.

I tend to prefer chases to be more cinematic, but this tit-for-tat mechanic certainly can keep the adrenaline high. Which is what dice should be for, really: to invoke a feeling of excitement and suspense.

Thanks!
Eisenmann
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Eisenmann »

Clay wrote:Interesting! It certainly gives Endurance more of a purpose than just fuel for special attacks.

I tend to prefer chases to be more cinematic, but this tit-for-tat mechanic certainly can keep the adrenaline high. Which is what dice should be for, really: to invoke a feeling of excitement and suspense.

Thanks!
You're welcome!

I've run some very interesting and spectacular chases with this rule. Players come up with some great story color when they're describing their attempted maneuvers.