Recovering the Endurance of Vehicles

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Jandar
Worthy Tortoise

Recovering the Endurance of Vehicles

Post by Jandar »

Hello Clay and friends,

just a quick question from me:

I just made up the character stats for several characters with mecha in OVA. All of that went extremely smoothly and I could even make up powerful mecha with 6 to 8 points of Abilities (after subtracting all Weaknesses etc.).

Yet, the rules are not yet 100% clear on how you should recover / regenerate / regain spent points of Endurance for Vehicles.
Could a Vehicle also regain 5 Endurance per "resting" action?

If I buy Endurance Reserve for a Vehicle, will the Endurance from the reserve again be treated differently than the 40 points of default Endurance?
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

I wouldn't think Vehicles would naturally regain endurance unless there's a self-recharging fuel cell or something.
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

This topic has been brought up before, but I can't seem to find where ^_^;;

In essence, unless a vehicle expends Endurance in a round, it can be assumed to perform a Recovery Action.

I'll see if I can find the thread where this was discussed, and put up a link.

TBP
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Ok, I lied...the discussion wasn't on this forum, it was talked about in playtesting OVA Mecha. I'm not going to post anything about that here without Clay's OK first, so I'm sorry >.<

TBP
Jandar
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Jandar »

TheBouncyPherret wrote:Ok, I lied...the discussion wasn't on this forum, it was talked about in playtesting OVA Mecha. I'm not going to post anything about that here without Clay's OK first, so I'm sorry >.<

TBP
OK, no problem. In my game campaign, I could really go either way with this. It doesn't matter that much.

In any case I think there is no Endurance expenditure for just moving. I think most Vehicles would reasonably be built with the Flight, Super Speed, or "Super-Swim" (for submarines and ships?) abilities, but I don't subtract Endurance only to use the flight of a flying vehicle. Running out of fuel would be a plot device, not anything tied to rules and numbers.

By the way, I am soooo looking forward to OVA Mecha.
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

I think I have a way around the whole "can't talk about what we talked about without talking to Clay first" problem.

For now, treat the vehicle as a character for determining if Endurance can be recovered or not. If a character did what the mecha did, would they be able to do a Recovery Action?

Normal movement? Sure

Dodging an enemy missile? Probably not

TBP
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Hey TBP, as long as you don't go and paste whole stretches of text, I don't mind you dropping a line here and there. ^^

But to answer the question officially, just think about the mecha. A Star Wars X-Wing fighter can regenerate its shields, and can theoretically redirect all its power to doing so faster. In game translation? You got it: Recovery action.

By the same token, a hulking steam behemoth may not be able to regenerate at all, and if the party can waste enough time, the thing will simply "run out of batteries" resulting in a win.

In the end, consider if the machine can regenerate its own energy. If it can, recovery's a go. If it can't, it's not. In most mecha/sci-fi games, I would assume they can.

Perhaps I should add a "No Endurance Recovery" Weakness to OVA mecha...hmm...