Setting info: Old Space

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

R-90-2
Worthy Tortoise

Setting info: Old Space

Post by R-90-2 »

Trying my hand at world-building with OVA. My Sci-fi thing to start. Each government/faction will have its own post in the thread, so I may edit them at will should more come to mind.

Old Space? Well, I reckon you'll find that the people out here are lucky if they've been in that far. You can bet that nowadays that anyone up to my great grandparents have never been to Sol except through books. Not really much of a point to go there, anyway. Sure, their ships are around, and we pay 'em taxes, just like anyone else they can still reach, and they leave us to do our thing out here, so long as we don't, say, kill of of their guys. Can't say I'd want to change it, and I don't really care about how those other empires may do it, so long as they don't come knocking at my door. Now, what's it like out on the fringe? Well, there's some pretty strange stuff out there, if you ask me. However, if you want to hear about the other folks out here other than what the party line feeds you, you've come back. Get yourself a strong drink, some of the truth you'll find can be a hard pill to swallow.

Fringe Miner "Prospector41", in interview to Associate of the Independant Press Corps

Old Space Alliance

Earth has been the center of human politics even since humanity left the planet. It holds a special significance in the eyes of most humans, whether they are willing to admit it or not, and all of the great movements and wars in space have involved the planet in some way. Whether it has been rebelling against it, seizing it directly, or simply establishing legitimacy for oneself, Earth is the fulcrum on which the greatest part of human society turns. It uis perhaps no surprise that Earth ties together the strongest of the human nations, the Old Space Alliance. The majority of spacefaring human society has been governed from Earth by means both foul and fair for the last 2000 years, and has slowly crystallized into its current form over the past two centuries.

Earth itself is the seat of the Alliance government. The Alliance itself could be said to be governed my an authoritarian meritocracy: Any place it can hold my a reasonable amount of force is considered part of the Alliance, but there are very few places where the inhabitants are denied the rights available to any Alliance citizen. The exceptions are usually planets that have performed violently rebellious acts against the government of Earth. Punishments include anything from direct overwatch to total lockdown until seditious elements have been suppressed to the satisfaction of the sector governor, or in particularly egregious cases, Earth itself. Earth also puts a strict watch on any sector governors to make sure that they don't try to increase their power base against the homeworld. The central government itself is comprside of a council fromed of the various sector governors, as well as the Primus, a central leader concerned with the goernment and defense of Sol itself. The Primus maintains a cadre of ministers and advisors to keep him informed on the happenings in the Alliance, thus allowing him to make informed decisions on domestic and foreign policy. He also acts as a tiebreaker in council votes.

Travel is not partcularly restricted: It is both common and affordable for all but the poorest citizens, due to the common nature of FTL drives in the Alliance itself. This is an outgrowth of the fact that the means by which the Alliance maintains its control are concentrated in its powrful navy. Troops can be delivered to crisis points with incredible response times, amking insurrections extremely difficult to coordinate, and invasions require overwhelming force to establish a foothold in Alliance space.

Culture:

The Alliance is actually a hodgepodge of numarous Old Earth cultures, but there are a few conventions that have grown out of the fact that the Alliance is not an entirely open society. There is a unstated social heirarchy based on proximity to the core worlds, and "Fringers"- those living close to the edges of Alliance space- Are generally considered to be the new hillbillies, even though such worlds may be just as well-developed as systems nearer to Sol. Traditionalist monogamous relationships are enforced by Alliance Law, in order to simplify the tracking of estate holdings by the bureaucracy. At times, the relationship between the people and the government can be quite adversarial. While this rarely results in open rebellion or other forms of violent subversion, it si true that many people feel that they are subjects of brute force rather than proper government.

As with any vast empire, however, the fringers have greater autonomy than those near the core, as fringe worlds are routinely deemed to be not essential enough to merit the full attention of the Alliance fleets. These tend to be hotbeds of illicit trading and smuggler's outposts, providing a healthy supply of black-market goods to the core worlds of the Alliancem at a suitable price. The restricted nature of the Alliance has allowed this market to flourish, and many planetary governors secretly abide this practice, for a modest fee. Self-defence weapons, however, are publically available, with heavier equipment requiring throrough background checks, lisences, as well as "Fealty notes": Those citizens who own heavy weapons are expected to donate them for use in the planetary guard for the duration of any conflicty that may occur on their planet of residence.

The Alliance does observe basic human rights, however, and the planetary courts have been noted for their fairness due to central oversight: Twisting Alliance law for personal gain is considered to be an act of subversion.

Military:

The navy is the true strength of the Alliance: Without a strong ability to project power over long distances, the alliance would most likely resemble a patchwork of semi-independant sectors rather than the intensively centralized nation-state that it is today. The navy's main role is to transport the Alliance military and protect it from enemy combat vessels, meaning that prcatically any craft under the sun can be found in its arsenal. Everything from small two-man surveyors and scouts to massive battleships capable of slagging cities from orbit.

The core of the Alliance military lies in its battlesuit troops: Heavy vehicles are not part of ircombat doctrine, as troops are far easier to support, plus can be issued with long-range weapons capable of taking down enemy armor, not to mention the possiblity of accurate ortillery barrages from their transport vessels. Non-battlesuit troops with armor support are concerned with planetary-level defense, and PDF units are static regiments, redeployed to other systems only in dire circumstances.

Game Info

Armor: Up to +5

+1 Is equivalent simple police armor for duty officers.
+2 is the standard armor used by Planetary defense militias.
+3 is heavy police/PDF breaching armor, or lighter battlesuits.
+4 are assault battlesuits.
+5 are commander suits, or superheavy battlesuits for crisis operations.

Weapons: The maximum available bonus for ranged is +5, but for melee it's a mere +2, as the Alliance does not consider melee combat a staple of standard operations. They tend to be used for ritualistic or personal defence.

Travel: Interstellar travel is easily afforadable to non-poor persons, and enough funds can be scraped up by those with Poor -1, though with some difficulty.

Basic NPCs:

Security officer:
The enforcer of the law and the peace in the Alliance. Somewhere between the modern-day policeman and a SWAT officer in duties, and generally has an easy job of it, except in te event of planetary rebellions. Then he's usually the first against the wall, but that's a bit of a statistical anomaly.

Combat skill +1, Weapon +2 (Light powergun, ranged, accurate, OR stun rifle, ranged, stun, Low penetration), Armor +1, Servitude -2, Stubborn -1

Planetary defender:
The basic soldier involved in defending the planet against external forces or especially heavy internal conflicts, these are the symbol of the reach of the Alliance government. Of course, if these guys turn traitor, then all bets are off, as their wide range of equipment and armor support can make things pretty nasty.

Combat skill +1, Armor +2, Weapon +2 (Powergun: Ranged, no knockback, accurate, armor-piercing), Defense +1, Servitude -2, Code of conduct -1 (Planetary ties)

Planetary official:
The backbone of the Alliance bureaucracy, these men keep the machine of the Alliance running as smoothly as possible. These people have a vested interest in keeping things neat and tidy, and occasionally have the authority to call on local security to help remove some rather untidy people.

Flunkies +2, Filthy rich +1, Weapon +1 (Laser pistol, ranged) Hobby: Bureaucratic wrangling +3, Stubborn -1 Servitude -2, Fussy -1

Planetary Governor:
The primary ruling class of the Alliance, these are, for all practical purposes, the nobility of Alliance space. As such, they are more free in some ways, and more restricted in others. They are the ones who will be called to task if some of the taxes "mysteriously" vanish into thin air, and yet they are also free to organize their planet as they see fit. May or may not come with beautiful, eminently seducable daughter.

Flunkies +2, Filthy rich +3, Important position +2 (ruling proxy), Weapon +1 (Laser pistol, ranged), Servitude -2, Jittery -1, Arrogant -1

Alliance Regular:
This is the average battlesuit trooper of the Alliance Guard. They are rough, tough, and well-armed soldiers with a lot of pent-up aggression and the tools with which to take it out on the enemies of the Alliance. Discipline is paramount: Whatever they're told to do, they do, and with sometimes horrifying effciency.

Armor +3 (Standard battlesuit) Quick +1, Strong +1 Combat Skill +2, Defense +1, Weapon +3 (Fusion blaster: Ranged, Armor Piercing x2), Servitude -2, Short Temper -1, Focus -1 (Battlesuit), Bad Reputation -2 (Merciless).
JuddG
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Setting info: Old Space

Post by JuddG »

R-90-2 wrote:Trying my hand at world-building with OVA.
I loves me some Sci-Fi! Looks like a great start.

I can't shake the idea that the theme song would be a techno version of the "Old Spice" theme.
Judd M. Goswick
Gamemaster
Legion Anime/Gaming Society
R-90-2
Worthy Tortoise

Post by R-90-2 »

Fringers

Oh, so you want to know about us, too? Well, can't say I'm too surprised, considering who you are, but there's really not too much to tell about things outside the Alliance. I mean you get lawless places like this anywhere "Big Brother" can't be bothered to look, you know? You could call this part of the calaxy the place for those who have nothing to lose. There's a lot to gain out here. Mining hasn't exactly left me starving, if you know what I mean. So you're asking what it means to live out here? Well, let me tell you about provided that you can show me that you're really a member of the IPC. Don't want to get busted for telling my little story, considering it could mean all kinds of hurting.

Well, really? Well, let's go on.

Anyway, me and my men run shipments from between the rock fields and this station pretty often, and it's no secret that we do it. It's not like we can fford to put up any real concealment, and the
Pickaxe isn't exactly a quiet ship, either. Well, anyway, on one of our plods back we got ourself signaled by some yound rich alliance punk and his friend in some kind of makeshift raider gunboat, pretending like he's some kind of pirate. Of course, he was right that the law wouldn't stop him, but he sould've remembered something else. You see, the same laws that stopped him from pulling this kind of stunt in the big A also protected him, so we pretended to take our time in deciding while we powered up a few "modifications" on the starboard side. He decided to ping a low-powered shot off of one of our cargo pods. Last mistake he and his buddies made, though. Before you could say "stand and deliver", we hit that thing with an old superheavy laser we scavanged of an Alliance battleship the got itself wrecked out her a couple hundred years ago. Would've scared a cruiser. So we went on, and made our delivery. Do I feel bad about it? Sure. I'm scared of people that feel good when killing a guy, and more scared by those who don't feel a thing, but damned if I wasn't going to defend my food and shelter.

Fringe Miner "Prospector41", in interview to Associate of the Independant Press Corps

The fringe has existed in some form ever since the Alliance and other interplanetary governmnets have been in existance. It has always served as a haven for those who are unfairly restricted by Alliance law, as well as motely gangs of privateers, mercenaries, miners, smugglers, and other less thatn lawful personalities. It is, at once, the black market, the hiring hall, the pirate cove, and the back-alley dealer all rolled into one vast entity surrounding the edges of more civilized space. the great risks to be taken are almost offset by the great rewrds to be had in plying one's trade without the stringient restrictions imposed by the commerce ministry of the Alliance. Numerous mining concerns have even headquartered in the fringe, along with a not-insubstantial amount of firepower to protect their holdings from the many pirate clans and other assortied raiders that populate the uncharted depths. given theeclectic mix of peoples that dwell in the fringe, conflict is not only common, it's practically accepted as a part of life, as much as you or I accept the weather. It is rare to see a ship without a moderate armament, from disused Alliance vessels to modified mining barges, Corporate security cruisers and one of a kind raider vessels.

Compling a history of the fringe would be like attempting to create a history of an ocean. The vast and incessant turmoil would render any text void while it was still under publishing review: miners fail, pirates revieve their comeuppance, and new, equally adventurous men and women now take their place. However, as is my responsibility, I will dictate what I have come to understand about the various groups existing out in this vast and tumultuous sea.

Miners

From single-ship operations to the larger concerns, the prospect of unrestricted mining must seem like a godsend- less so once they realize that they will probably spend the rest of their shortened lives fighting to protect what they pulled out of planets or asteroids themselves. For those who have the wits and firepower to succeed, however, it can be a very profitable business. The equipment used is a mishmash of commercial tools to unique devices crafted by inventors looking to get just a little more out of whatever they happen to have on hand. Some of it works spectacularly, some of it explodes violently. Their weapons, however, always seem to work first go- all of the minerals are worthless if they get taken from you on the way back by enterprising privateers.

Even more independant miners usually see fit to join various convoys. Considering the nature of the fringe, the firepower presented by a miner fleet can be daunting for all but the most well-equipped and experienced raider vessels, whether it comes from modified mining cutters or salvaged military equipment.

Pirates

Pirates are perhaps the most Iconic representations of the fringe, sliding along in their sleek, horribly-beweaponed raider vessels. Pirates are largely indiscriminate combatants, targeting liners, cargo vessels, military transports, and any other vessel with equal ferocity. There is practically no such thing as a "standard" pirate vessel, as even those based on the derelict hulls of disable warships are each given their own personal touch by their respective captains. Bulding bases in the fringe is easy: There are plenty of asteroids begging to be dug out and converted into ramshackle fortresses by enterprising pirate leaders. True starbases are rare, however, as they would be too easily spotted if unprotected by the rock that obscures most pirate strongholds. Some don't even have a base, merely taking what they need from other ships, and buying from friendly ports. Pirates even attack other pirates.

In fact one, of the most curious phenomena to come about in recent years is the appearance of a large pirate battleship, the Debt to Society. It almost exclusively attacks other pirates, privateers and corrupt Alliance governors, turning them in for bounty to the Alliance government. It took a great deal of work, but I was able to secure an interview with the elusive captain of this mysterious and powerful vessel (see appendices), which proved both confusing and enlightening at once. Apparently, there are some interactions between the Alliance and pirates that it is the IPC's duty to bring to the general public.

Mercenaries

The existance of mercenaries in the fringe is hardly a surprise- After all, it is better for some to live fairly close to where they work. Mercenaries can be anything from standard soldiers all the way to professional assassins, both of which can find regular employment in the region, as well as some occasional work deep in the core of the Alliance. Mercenaries are occasionally hired as personal protection for planetary governors. After all, offworld troops have no stake in planetary affairs, and their loyalty can be absolutely assured though cold, hard cash and a binding contract. The quality of mercenaries can vary greatly, so it is best for a potential employer to do a good deal of homework before hiring. However, the advantages of being able to raise combat-ready troops with the simple opening of a wallet is far too much temptation ofr most out of the way governors to resist. Some mercenaries are also naval, posessing and operationg their own warships. These mercenaries command a high price, but having a new ship without diverting yard time can be irresistable to the moneyed man, especially those who need all the firepower they can buy.

Word spreads quickly around the fringe, however, to it doesn't take too much time to determine who are the turkeys and who are the eagles

GAME INFORMATION:

The Available armor level is +4.

Weapons: Ranged weapions are available up to +4, though melee weapons are available up to +3, as CQB is less of an exception in cramped starports and starships.

Travel: Interstellar travel is avialble to anyone. Stoeing away isn't as strictly regulated as it is elsewhere, though shifting cargoholds may present their own hazards.

NPCs

CORSEC officer:

These can be found protecting the assets of company holdings all over the fringe. They are there to make sure that the local rabble is kept in line, making sure their greasy mitts stay off of the company's property. Their guns are not for decoration, either.

Combat Skill +1 Weapon +2 (Autorifle: Ranged, Armor-Piercing) Weapon +1 (Combat Knife, Accurate) Armor +1, Servitude -2

CORSEC trooper

The private armies of the corporate interests out on the fringe, these soldiers police the core areas of the corporate territories, though they do occasionally go out on special assignments of their own. aggressive negotiations may, in fact, be the order of the day.

Combat Skill +1, Weapon +2 (Autorifle: Ranged, Armor-Piercing) Weapon +1 (Combat Knife, Accurate) Armor +2, Defense +1, Servitude -2, Fussy -1

Miner

This represents a somewhat typical prospector out on the fringe, looking for new deposits of ore to make a living for him and his buddies. Don't let the grizzled, weatherbeaten demeanor fool you. Surviving out on the fringe does take a certain edge.

Combat Skill +1, Weapon +1 (Handgun, ranged) Hobby: Mining +3, Heightened sense +1 Obsession (the mother lode) -1

Mercenary trooper:
This represents a soldier from a top-flight mercenary outfit. to represtend lower-class mercenaries, simply lower an ability here and there. Mercenaries are dangerous opponents, for the most part. Not only do they tend to wield top-notch equipment and have good training, but they really are in it for the money. To them, nothing is much more satisfying than a job well-done and well-paid.

Combat Skill +2, Weapon +3 (Battle rifle, Ranged, Accurate, armor-piercing), Weapon +2 (Battle sword, Accurate, armor-piercing), Strong +1, Defense +2, Armor +3 (Mercenary battlesuit), Code of Conduct -2 (Contract), Servitude -1, Overconfident -1, Arrogant -1

Magnate:
Just about any executive can fall into this category, from any Corp that happens to work the fringe. They tend not to be too ostentatious out on the fringe, however: Those who show off their money tend to be deprived of it pretty quickly.

Weapon +1 (Pistol, ranged), Position of power +1, Flunkies +2, Filthy Rich +2, Hobby: finance +2 Servitude -2.

Pirates:

Pirates have such an eclectic mix of skill and equipent that there is hardly such a thing as a "typical" pirate, though using other basic NPCs as a start might be good for your regular crewman.