Koans

Got a question? Serious, silly, relevent, or otherwise, Wise Turtle just might have the answer!

Moderator: Wise Turtle

JuddG
Worthy Tortoise

Koans

Post by JuddG »

What is the sound of one shell closing?
Thomas
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Thomas »

They open? I just thought of them as staying closed most of the time. Hmmm, I suppose its a squishy sound? On this subject I can't really try to give advice as, well, I'm not a turtle and haven't met the sage in person yet.
Wise Turtle
Wise Sage

Post by Wise Turtle »

Considering the general lack of material in this forum, I do try to stay myself from reprimanding my seekers of wisdom.

...But really, what sort of rotting barrel relic from the 14th century's innards did you dredge for this inaneness? Please, at least ask questions that are sensical. One shell closing indeed. May as well ask me the color of nothing or what a 7-sided cube look like.

Hmmph.
JuddG
Worthy Tortoise

Post by JuddG »

Wise Turtle wrote:...But really, what sort of rotting barrel relic from the 14th century's innards did you dredge for this inaneness?
If you look a few inches below you (assuming you have your head out), you should see a flap. That flap opens and closes, with what one would imagine is a sound.

You are right in reprimanding me that there is indeed no koan in my question since you must hear that sound each time you are forced to retreat into your shell.

I shall work harder, sensei.
Kotetsutheo
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Kotetsutheo »

Once, I witnessed a turtle basking on a log in the late day sun. I asked him if I could join him. In response he bit me, then said I could.
Hurt and confused, I told him that I would not and turned to walk away.
He dipped his houth into the water and sprayed my wound, healing it.
After that he told me not to come back then went back to his basking.

What was he trying to say?
JuddG
Worthy Tortoise

Post by JuddG »

Kotetsutheo wrote:What was he trying to say?
Enlightenment requires sacrifice. Sacrifice is nothing to one who knows that what is being sacrificed is an illusion. One must sacrifice the false to have the true, which is no sacrifice at all.

When one falls into the illusion, seeing the sacrifice as real, as a true sacrifice, they seek to undo that sacrifice, and retreat into falsehood and illusion. Once this is done in the face of Truth itself, the fall may be forever.

The scabs of the mind are enforced illusions we dare not let go of. Once we do, we no longer need them and indeed, not even the teacher is real.

Satori!