Need help understanding the numbers in character generation

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

zircher
Shelled Plebeian

Need help understanding the numbers in character generation

Post by zircher »

Okay, I think I am missing something major. First off, I learn some systems by reverse engineering them. But I can't get the numbers to sync up for the 'base zero' sample characters. Is there something like a spread sheet that can help me (not a character sheet, but a character design sheet)? Or can I get someone to do a line by like cost breakdown of some of the sample characters. Or, even post some of their own base zero character designs?
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Need help understanding the numbers in character generation

Post by Malancthon »

Base Zero is more of a concept than a hard rule, that you want your Abilities and Weaknesses to balance each other out. In other words, your Abilities minus your Weaknesses should be close to Zero. There is some wiggle room, though, with the default of having about 5 or less points in difference. A GM could allow a bigger difference if they want more powerful characters who are not saddled by as many Weaknesses.

So the first sample character, Raine, has 25 points or levels in Abilities (Knowledge is usually 1/2 cost, so even though he has two +2 Knowledge, those cost 1 point each), and 21 points in Weaknesses. 25-21=4 point difference, so it follows the Base Zero (within 5 points).

Shou, the next character, has 21 points in Abilities and 19 points in Weaknesses. 21-19=3.

Karissa has 16 points in Abilities and 11 points in Weaknesses. 16-9=5.

And so on.

For starting players, I always recommend to begin with 15 points in Abilities and 10 points in Weaknesses, with no Ability above level 3.
zircher
Shelled Plebeian

Re: Need help understanding the numbers in character generation

Post by zircher »

[Head desk] Yeah, I would never have figured that out from a math perspective. Thanks for the clarification.