Slightly different Magic ideas

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Slightly different Magic ideas

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

Ok, so if you try to cast a spell without your gestures, you double the difficulty, right? But what if we wanted to alter the Endurance cost instead? Why not just tack on the No Gesture (+5) Power Perk?

That way. we can have a gesture-less spell, with a higher endo cost, and the same difficulty. If that is true, why not make a Silent Perk? I'd say it'd be Silent (+10), since being quiet is more useful than not having to move.

I don't know, does this fly in the face of the magic rules? And Clay, I know you're gonna say "run your game how you want," but I'd like an official opinion, at least.

I'm thinking more along the lines of "psychic abilities" that usually don't require the user to shout out the name of their ability...and as a "sneak ninja" type magic.

TBP
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

I like that. I think the energy cost increase is a good idea. Maybe it could be a 'tackon' ability. That way, you could cast a spell normally but if you coldent move your hands (for example) you can still cast it at greater cost.
Watch this and all will become clear...http://tinyurl.com/m7qr3rq
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I certainly don't see the problem with that. It's certainly eloquent enough, unlike multiplying the difficulty. In all honesty, I wonder if I should remove the whole speaking/gestures thing, or at least simplify it to gestures (like Power Moves) and allow the No Gesture perk. Not all magic has words, and it seems odd, in retrospect, to enforce it.

It's doubly dumb because...in how many anime have you actually seen a mage unable to speak/move and still cast a spell?

Oh well, just uploaded the update the other day; a bit late now.

In summary, yes, I see no problem with increasing the Endurance as a replacement for difficulty.