Tweaking Attacks During Combat

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

TrueBlueCorvid
Shelled Plebeian

Tweaking Attacks During Combat

Post by TrueBlueCorvid »

So, after some pondering on OVA's combat system, there are essentially three kinds of options in combat.
  • First are what I'll call "actions." Actions are used on your turn. Most (like attacks) can be used multiple times, by taking a penalty of -1 per action, but some (like recovering) take an entire round.
  • Second is "reactions." Reactions are used to respond when someone else does something to you. Most (like defenses) can be used for free, but some (like countering) will require you to forfeit your next action.
  • Last is what I'll call "tweaks" -- pre-designed adjustments to attacks. OVA suggests three tweaks by default: Reckless Offense (+2 accurate, -2 unwieldy), Defensive Stance (+2 defensive, -2 inaccurate), and Kamikaze Strike (+5 accurate, open to attack.)
My questions are:
  • Do you/your players use these "tweaks" a lot?
    (Mine get a lot of use out of Reckless Offense!)
  • Have you made additional tweaks to use/for your players to use?
    (One of my players has a sorcerer who can use an activation to add area effect or an additional target to his spells.)
(Formerly StarRaven! Sorry about that.)
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Tweaking Attacks During Combat

Post by Malancthon »

I don't really consider the "tweaks" to be different than normal attacks. You can generate or modify any attack at any time, as long as it's appropriate. The "tweaks" in the book are more like examples of how to you make a new or modify an attack.

I usually build 2 to 5 attacks for a character, generally at 0 en cost, which I figure would be the character's basic go-to attacks. If they need a little extra oomph, they can burn Endurance for either Accurate or Effective, or add other Perks and Flaws at the time they need or want that special attack.

So, short answer, yes, but I don't consider it a third option, more of a variation of the first option.
TrueBlueCorvid
Shelled Plebeian

Re: Tweaking Attacks During Combat

Post by TrueBlueCorvid »

Yeah, I guess what I was trying to say is, it's something that the book gives you that you can do in combat (not so much a third option, but just something that's also... there? I don't know how to explain it. Kamikaze Strike also existed in the previous version of OVA, as its own "thing" which I guess is why I kind of think of it that way.)

I guess what I'm asking then, is, do you/your players do a lot of tweaking attacks in combat, and if so, do you only use the ones the books suggests or do you come up with new things on the fly?
(Formerly StarRaven! Sorry about that.)