My Dungeons and Dragons Conversion

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Re: My Dungeons and Dragons Conversion

Post by Malancthon »

Sabersonic wrote:Dual-Wield Short/Arming Sword
Outnumbered
Accurate (+5); Effective (+5); Multiple Targets (+10). Elaborate Gestures (-5); Unique, Minimum of Agile +2 (-10); Weapon (-5)
Dueling
Accurate (+5); Effective (+5); Overwhelming (+15). Elaborate Gestures (-5); Unique, Minimum of Agile +2 (-10); Unwieldy (-5); Weapon (-5)
The ultimate swordmanship; the skill to wield two one-handed swords at once to combat multiple enemies or overwhelm an opponent in single combat. However, it takes great mental and physical coordination, grace that is almost to the brink of inhuman, in order to utilize this skill successful.
I've thought about it before. If using D&D as a base, then Inaccurate would be more appropriate since it's harder to fight with two weapons. I just used Effective +1, Inaccurate -1 to simulate it.
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Malancthon wrote:I've thought about it before. If using D&D as a base, then Inaccurate would be more appropriate since it's harder to fight with two weapons. I just used Effective +1, Inaccurate -1 to simulate it.
Which is why I've added the whole caveat of needing a minimal level of Agility to negate such an issue. How any prospective GM determines the penalty of use without meeting said requirements is up to them.

Still, I did take a look at the initial Perk and Flaw list and figured that it didn't need accurate for both dual wielding executions since the chief advantage of having a one-handed weapon in each hand is more effective defense as Shadiversity explains in this video. So I just replaced "Accurate" with "Defensive" and should about do it.
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Fascinating stuff, everyone! Thanks to everyone who contributed. I'm sure a lot of people making the jump from games like D&D to OVA will appreciate it.

To address something brought up earlier in the thread, I personally think the typical shield would serve as a flat Defense Roll Bonus (ala Evasive), as opposed to Barrier or Armored.
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Clay wrote:To address something brought up earlier in the thread, I personally think the typical shield would serve as a flat Defense Roll Bonus (ala Evasive), as opposed to Barrier or Armored.
Well thanks for the clarification on that front Clay, that notation of using ones EP to boost the barrier's defence did seem rather odd for something like a shield.

Though this means that I'll need to do a few changes in some of my profiles. Still, it does give some ideas of a physical shield that can be used as a magical it or foci to generate a barrier.

Either way, thanks for the compliment on ourcontributions, half-baked and brain farts all.
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Well this inquiry had been bugging me for a while now. While Clay's stance on the matter is quite illuminating (still on the fence on if I should either go with Evasive for the flat bonus or just make it a Unique Ability), it does raises a question on what would one do when their character tries to absorb/block an attack instead of just parrying the damage away.

So, when one performs a move in OVA2e similar to Mwu la Flaga's Block, would it be considered a Unique perk, Resistance, or just straight up defense roll because I'm over thinking these things?
Get your Portable ID!

Rest in Peace, Dad
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

It would just be a Defense Roll using the "Protect" move described at the end of the Combat chapter.

Also, spoiler tag may be warranted. ;)
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

So basically I'm overthinking things, alright.

Guess if it's not to protect someone I'll just chuck it up as Unique: +X to Armored or something to that effect.
Get your Portable ID!

Rest in Peace, Dad
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Well, just watched Shadiversity's new videos on Snakefolk (aka Nagas) and the Minotaour (both versions) which inspired me to make these two bare bone templates (after making sure that there weren't other templates).

Not too much detail in the backgrounds of these creatures since, once again, very lacking in terms of DnD familiarity.
Naga

(4 Points)
DX[END] - Attack
  • 5[10] - “Constriction” (Effective x3; Impairing; Paralyzing. Activation; Concentration; Low Penetration)
  • 3[0] - “Leaping Spear Thrust” (Armor Piercing; Effective; Reach. Requirement, Jumping; Weapon)
  • 2[0] - “Spear” (Reach. Weapon)
  • 2[0] - “Venom” (Affinity, Poison. Continued Effect. Ammunition; Low Penetration)
Level - Ability
  • +1 - Agile
  • +1 - Armored "Scaly Hide"
  • +2 - Armored "Tower Shield"
  • +1 - Attack*
  • +3 - Evasion "Tower Shield"
  • +1 - Jumping*
  • +2 - Quick
  • +2 - Resistance "Chainmail" (Melee Cut/Slash Attacks)
  • +2 - Resistance "Gambeson" (Blunt Attacks)
  • +1 - Tough
Level - Weakness
  • -2 - Awkward Size (Large)
  • -3 - Bizarre Appearance
  • -2 - Focus "Tower Shield" (Armored and Evasion "Tower Shield")
  • -2 - Focus "Chainmail and Gambeson Combination" (Resistance "Chainmail" and "Gambeson")
  • -3 - Vulnerability “Cold-Blooded” (Cold Environments and/or Ice-based Attacks)
* Indicates that Character Ability/ies are of higher value than human norm, thus applicable for Scaled Advantage
Minotaur

(5 Points)
DX[END] - Attack
  • 3[0] - “Back Sword” (Armor Piercing x2; Effective. Cancel x2, Metal Armor; Weapon)
  • 4[0] - “Bearing Sword” (Effective x2; Impairing; Reach. Elaborate Gestures, Both Hands on Weapon; Requirement, Needs Lots of Room; Unique x2, Minimum of Strong +2; Weapon)
  • 4[0] - “Minotaur War Bow” (Armor Piercing x2; Effective; Ranged, St. Powered. Elaborate Gestures, Both Hands on Weapon; Unique x2, Minimum of Strong +2; Weapon)
  • 3[0] - “Bull Charge” (Effective x2; Impairing. Activation; Inaccurate x2)
Level - Ability
  • +2 - Armored "Thick Hide"
  • +2 - Armored "Minotaur-sized Tower Shield"
  • +3 - Evasion "Minotaur-sized Tower Shield"
  • +2 - Strong*
  • +2 - Tough
  • +1 - Unique "Wide Side Field of View"
Level - Weakness
  • -1 - Awkward Size (Large)
  • -1 - Dense
  • -2 - Focus "Tower Shield" (Armored and Evasion "Minotaur-sized Tower Shield")
* Indicates that Character Ability/ies are of higher value than human norm, thus applicable for Scaled Advantage
Not too sure if I got the whole "Shield gives a flat defense bonus, but also can be used to provide armor protection" thing right, what with the whole "Focus" angle, but I think it's a good start if I do say so myself.

And speaking of Shadiversity, after I watched the Minotaur videos and went to rewatch the Orc one, I started to ponder as to why Orc society as a whole (almost regardless of franchise origin) were so warlike along with the part of how advanced Orcs tend to be in the realm of armoring and weapon smiting. Again, very unfamiliar with the background of DnD but I feel that it could be adapted for if a player wishes to have a full-blooded Orc character to roleplay as.

Basically it can boil down to a lack of resources needed to sustain a population, or to be exact a desire of territory that would have such an abundance of any one particular resource that another territory lacks or at the very least is deficit. Combined with a harsh environment that would make agriculture difficult, this would lead to an increase in warfare (admittedly, this came to me after reading a chapter of a Halo-GoT/ASOIAF fanfic) even to such a frequency that an Orc would be foolish if they were neither armed or armored or at the very least equipped with a shield for defense. This also means that Orc Villages/Tribes tend to be heavily clannish and suspicious of outsiders since more then likely it could be a ruse for a raid or similar form of treachery.

This also leads me to the thought as to what resources would be the most readily available that would allow Orcs to arm themselves with battlefield-grade weaponry and armor. Granted, shields could easily be constructed if there's a readily supply of wood even if the individual in question has little if any armor as the video on realistic barbarians have shown, it would also depend upon what the environment would allow and the type of environments that would allow for constant warfare for territory would be either too dry to allow for a reasonable population of trees to support a large population to have shields or frigid enough to make one question as to why an Orc would want to bare their Adonis-like muscular physique in a cold climate.

But then again there's the key word: large population. With tribal, territorial Orc culture in mind, having a population that would match the equivalent agrarian culture would have been impossible due to the limited sustainability of the homeland in question. It wouldn't be too far fetched if a single Orc Tribe/Village had a total population over a hundred and even then would stretch the limited resources to the breaking point that would require the need to raid neighboring territories. Then again, it wouldn't be too out of place for the Orc homeland to have brief summers and long winters so they would have some ability to farm, but not enough to keep the village/tribe alive indefinitely without the occasional raid.

Now that I think of it, it's starting to feel like the Orcs are more Viking than Barbarian Raider....

Anyway, besides the relative abundance of metals and even then it's debatable, the Orc homeland would potentially have an equal relative abundance of wood and wild game. And it's this wild game that suggests to me that the average Orc would have a logical inclination towards leather armor compared to gambeson/aketon armor. Granted, the video of leather vs. padded armor does make the argument that gambeson would be more widely available due to the amount of agricultural industry behind the creation of gambeson as compared to leather armor, but that's under the assumption that there is a large enough agricultural activity to support it. In the Orc homeland, it would be a bit more limited due to the scarcity of arable farmland and thus they would tend to incline towards the hunting of wild game. True, Wool can also be used in the construction of gambeson and sheep are not the only animals that can produce that, but again that requires an agricultural base on which to support a herd and considering the constant warfare and raids in Orc society, it's probably not a good idea to rely on an animal that can be easily killed before they're sheered as raw materials for one's armor. At least if that Orc is part of a village/tribe that isn't well off in terms of territory resources that could potentially support that to an extend.

Thus they would rely upon the tanning of hides to not only make clothing to keep them comfortable, but also as a source of leather to make armor. I wouldn't be surprised if leather armor and a wooden shield is the bare minimum that an individual Orc can have in terms of protection. The more seasoned, and well-off Orcs would obviously have better forms of small arms and personal defense.

And then the idea of elites and wealthy Orcs answered another question about Orcs: Why do they always seem to populate the armies of the evil overlord and similar villains? It's quite simple really: They pay the most money for their skills and innate attributes as Orcs. True, an Orc would be ideal in a close quarters fight with their greater strength and durability, but Shadiversity's notes on Orcish War Bows being an absolute terror on the battlefield in terms of armor penetration or range gives them the best mercenary specialization as bowman. If a large group of Orcish Archers have the ability to decimate an opposing army at a greater range, and on the plus side are able to defend themselves in melee combat as opposed to the average levy archer, then they'll be in high demand for any enterprising lord who wish to increase their own fiefdoms and/or political power. And the pay for these Orcish Archers can then be used to support their home village to purchase or trade for needed supplies; any left would be used to better equip the Orcish Archer with better armaments and armor.

So I can imagine a fairly typical Orcish Mercenary Adventurer who is raised in a culture of constant war and raids, tempered upon the battlefields of feuding lords and warring kingdoms whom purchases the best arms and armor that money can buy so that they can further support their home village in trade for both supplies and armament to keep the village/tribe's territory well protected and alive. It would make for an interesting character to roleplay indeed if used wisely.

Anyway, sorry about the sudden and random rant but I really wanted to get it off my chest on my thoughts on it.

And speaking of DnD, Team Four Star has a campaign. Oh the hilarity that ensued.

Also, another late reply. Blobathehutt, I appreciated that you used that Longevity Ability of mine for one of your bills. It's nice to see someone use one of my custom attributes in their own builds and campaigns.
Get your Portable ID!

Rest in Peace, Dad
Oni
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Oni »

Sabersonic wrote:Looking back at previous entries, I'm kind of surprised that there's a lack of a certain skill...
Dual-Wield Short/Arming Sword
Outnumbered
Defensive (+5); Effective (+5); Multiple Targets (+10). Elaborate Gestures (-5); Unique, Minimum of Agile +2 (-10); Weapon (-5)
Dueling
Defensive (+5); Effective (+5); Overwhelming (+15). Elaborate Gestures (-5); Unique, Minimum of Agile +2 (-10); Unwieldy (-5); Weapon (-5)
The ultimate swordmanship; the skill to wield two one-handed swords at once to combat multiple enemies or overwhelm an opponent in single combat. However, it takes great mental and physical coordination, grace that is almost to the brink of inhuman, in order to utilize this skill successful.
The minimum of Agile +2 flaw seems like a bad idea in that if you meet the minimum then it's no longer a penalty and thus free points, and anyone under the limit the points simply don't matter since they can't use it no matter what.
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Well the penalty for not meeting the minimum is up to the GM in question, but that doesn't mean that those that meet the minimum are in the clear. Considering that there are (I assume) loads of conditions in the original game engine that would impair a character on a particular dice check they would have otherwise have no problem with, I can only imagine that an OVA2e GM would do something similar that would make it even more imperative that any prospecting player would not just get the minimum, but have a higher Agility level as a form of redundancy. Of course, any player would make due with the minimum, but that would be cutting it close if a dice save goes bad or any other form of penalty imposed by the GM for story-telling purposes and such.
Get your Portable ID!

Rest in Peace, Dad
papa_crosby
Shelled Plebeian

Post by papa_crosby »

This is truly wonderful. Do you have the complete document/PDF for download? I would love to introduce these mods in my modern-fantasy setting.
papa_crosby
Shelled Plebeian

Post by papa_crosby »

Sabersonic wrote:Interesting, but that raises another question: How one can replicate the morality axis from DnD and other similar tabletop engines.

Well, other than the whole weakness thing, but that'll be too obvious.

In my home games, I award a variant of drama dice I call Karma dice which are awarded for role-playing the moral aspects of their character.

I know it seems pretty bare-bones and is "another rule" to track, but I think it supports the less-is-more quality in the system. I'd love to see alternatives to my method though. I'm always curious.
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

It's an interesting idea, now that I've had time to ponder its execution, though I can't help but wonder what would differentiate Karma dice from regular Drama Dice? Perhaps it can be ruled that it can only be used on an Ability that would help their morality in their execution such as Knowledge "Pick Pocketing" for a less than scrupulous character, or mayhap be used to lessen the impact of a Weakness for that particular encounter when otherwise would have been detrimental?

Either way, some food for thought.
Get your Portable ID!

Rest in Peace, Dad
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Well, another Shadiversity video on Skeletons had inspired me to make the following template.
Skeleton

(5 Points)
DX[END] - Attack
  • 3[0] - “Axe” (Armor Piercing x2; Effective. Offensive x2; Weapon)
  • 3[0] - “Back Sword” (Armor Piercing x2; Effective. Cancel x2, Metal Armor; Weapon)
  • 3[0] - “Rapier” (Effective; Reach. Elaborate Gestures; Weapon)
  • 3[0] - “War Bow” (Accurate; Effective; Ranged. Elaborate Gestures, Both Hands on Weapon; Weapon)
Level - Ability
  • +2 - Armored "Bone"
  • +2 - Armored "Shield"
  • +1 - Attack
  • +1 - Combat Expert
  • +2 - Evasion
  • +1 - Jumping
  • +5 - Life Support
  • +2 - Resistance "Piercing Attacks"
  • +2 - Quick
  • +2 - Tough
Level - Weakness
  • -1 - Dense
  • -2 - Focus "Shield" (Armored and Evasion)
  • -2 - Mute
  • -3 - Unique "Knockback Ease"
  • -3 - Vulnerability "Blunt Attacks"
  • -1 - Vulnerability "Head Shots"
Again, not too detailed due to unfamiliarity with DnD setting, but should be a good enough jumping off point if anything.
Get your Portable ID!

Rest in Peace, Dad
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Well, Shadiversity's videos on how to defeat elves, and in particular the follow up video, has given me pause enough to consider adding a few Abilities and Weaknesses to the Elf template or at least the High Elf.

Why? Well as explained in the second video, there has to be consequences of Legolas walking atop of snow while everyone else is struggling to move through it.

Using Blobathehutt's own NPC fragment from the first page, I put forward the following alteration on at least the High Elf.
Elf, High

(0 Points)
Level - Ability
  • +1 - Agile
  • +3 - Art of Invisibility "Light Footed"
  • +1 - Smart
Level - Weakness
  • -1 - Frail
  • -1 - Weak
  • -3 - Unique "Knockback Ease"
So then, verdict on this proposal?
Get your Portable ID!

Rest in Peace, Dad