Giving up on OVA

A free-for-all place for any discussion under the sun. Just find yourself a log and chat away!

Moderators: Clay, Jade

sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Giving up on OVA

Post by sniffycrab »

Though I love OVA as a system, I think I must give up trying to use it. People are just too stupid to play it. Seriously, I spend more time explaining character creation and you do not need to take gear as weapons as gear to players then actually playing or running OVA. How can the game be o easy for me to grasp, yet so hard for everyone else?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: Giving up on OVA

Post by Clay »

RPGs have a long, long history of clearly delineating what facets belong to a character naturally and what belong to them because of their equipment. It can be a difficult mode of thinking to shake, so if your players come off of things like Dungeons & Dragons or Pathfinder, it’s completely understandable.

Probably the best thing to do is print out some copies of the various Sample Characters and let them see firsthand how it’s done.

...Or just let them buy Gear. There’s not an explicit disadvantage to doing so, it just limits their options a little. (It would be harder to create someone who is good at martial arts AND fighting with a sword if you slice Attack inside and outside of Gear, for instance. But depending on the character you’re trying to make, that might be exactly what you want.)
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

sniffycrab wrote:How can the game be o easy for me to grasp, yet so hard for everyone else?
Who are you playing with?
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

BESM 3rd, D&D 3.5 and VtM players. I believe they have the inverse rule of ninja strength when it comes to rules comprehension. The more elaborate and complex the rules the easier they grasp it, the more light the rules the more they struggle.

I also tried doing FATE and PDQ which are both pretty rules light and they hated it.
Zealot Vedas
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Zealot Vedas »

That's unfortunate, I sympathize. I've been intending to run a OVA one-shot or campaign for my gaming group, but anxiety and difficulty coming up with plot is hindering me. By the way, I'm fond of FATE, but what's PDQ?
Does driving a tank count as a martial art? Does being a tank count as a martial art?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

PDQ stands for “Prose Descriptive Qualities” and is used to power a number of different games written by Chad Underkoffler. A stripped down free version can be found here: http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebie ... q-core.pdf

An updated version of the rules called PDQ# (sharp) was used by the Evil Hat-published game Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies, so if you’re already into FATE, it’s not a big leap! The way it handles Qualities is not all that dissimilar from OVA’s Abilities and Weaknesses, either.
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Yes, and Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies is a very fun setting. I wish you luck Zealot Vedas.
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

I think that the "problem" is the freedom that OVA gives: game system is simple but you have a lot of freedom.
To tell the truth I never head problema creating characters with expert players (we played a lot of different rpgs) but were have to spend a whole session to do that (mostly to convert the ideas into characters..or even making conversions from other systems)
Anyway since I also play a lot of one-shots with less experienced players, I find that creating some pregens is really useful. For my fantasy horror game I created a drunken monk, an alchemist, a scarred mercenary, a seductive thief and a crazy gladiator. It worked really well since the rules are simple and easy (like in Over the Edge), I just made them a bit weaker just to fit the genre.
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

Oh and about PDQ...I loved Jotss (jaws of the six serpents), the Sword and Sorcery setting and rules... buuut I still prefer how Ova handles combat: my players find it more realistic than in Pdq (they hated the "damaged abilities rules... and prefer using hitpoints...after all it's odd losing your "poison knowledge" aftera being wounded...)
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Try running the setting in OVA? It is an easy conversion.
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

I did that and worked very well! It was even the first time those players tried the Ova system (I used pre-generated characters, of course). I used just a little modification: heroes and villains were slightly weaker and started with 30/30 instead of 40/40 (still heroic anyway).
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Well another GM is running OVA and I shall try to play it. I hope it works.