Fillable sheet, anyone? (Solved)

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Roswynn d'Cannith
Worthy Tortoise

Fillable sheet, anyone? (Solved)

Post by Roswynn d'Cannith »

Sorry folks, but I'd really like to know if any of you has created an OVA char sheet in fillable PDF that one can edit and save as many times as they want, without the need to sign. I thought I had found one but no such luck, alas. Or if you can teach me how to create my own, that'd be cool too. I really love this game, but on Word the charas aren't nearly as cool :P

Anyone who can help will have my eternal gratitude & a virtual cookie, w/chocolate nuggets b/c I know you folks dig the chocolate :wink:

XOXO
Rose-
Last edited by Roswynn d'Cannith on Sun May 08, 2016 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Truth is, takes many crystals to make something shine*
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Fillable sheet, anyone?

Post by sniffycrab »

Some guy on the forum made fillable sheets. Just search for the thread.
Roswynn d'Cannith
Worthy Tortoise

I did! :( And I found:

1) 1 thread with sheets that by now have moved to greener pastures (don't know where, but the link is broken, i.e. it gives me a 404 or something like that)
2) another thread with a very good sheet, still there... but it's one of those PDFs you have to sign. I started creating my tattooed sorceress, then signed and moved the file, the reopened it, and discovered it couldn't be modified anymore! So if I get it right, if I don't sign I can't save changes, if I do sign I can't apport any new changes... damned if I do & damned if I don't :cry:

So... no chance you or anyone else would post a fillable that doesn't require signing? :oops:
Darium
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Darium »

Hi! I encountered the same issues as you. So... I solved the problem myself!

This is a link to the original spreadsheet that someone else on the forum uploaded (Sorry! I don't remember your name. If you find this, and let me know, I'll give you proper credit!)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5b1h ... TI0QW1xSnM

It's a great sheet, but it's vertical. Since the sheets for the new version of OVA are horizontal, and OCD wouldn't leave me alone, I took their sheet and modified it to be a lot more like the official OVA horizontal style sheet. I didn't compress it right though, so the file size is larger than it should be. Anyway, I hope this helps you and anyone else who needs it. And again, credit to the original creator of the vertical sheet.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5b1h ... UxsUkZlVUk

Master PDF Editor for Linux, and DocHub are applications to edit this, if you don't have another PDF editor.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Thanks for keeping track of these and uploading them for use!

Though it’s never specifically stated anywhere, how I personally use the OVA sheet is to fold it in half horizontally, text on the outside (making the Abilities/Weaknesses “page” the cover.) This keeps important stats visible, you can flip it over on the rare occasion you need to reference your fiction, and if you need more space for notes, you just open the “book” and have two pages of room to write. When you’re done, you shut it and your stats are back in easy view.

…but maybe that’s a little quirky for most players! <:)
Roswynn d'Cannith
Worthy Tortoise

Darium wrote:Hi! I encountered the same issues as you. So... I solved the problem myself!

This is a link to the original spreadsheet that someone else on the forum uploaded (Sorry! I don't remember your name. If you find this, and let me know, I'll give you proper credit!)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5b1h ... TI0QW1xSnM

It's a great sheet, but it's vertical. Since the sheets for the new version of OVA are horizontal, and OCD wouldn't leave me alone, I took their sheet and modified it to be a lot more like the official OVA horizontal style sheet. I didn't compress it right though, so the file size is larger than it should be. Anyway, I hope this helps you and anyone else who needs it. And again, credit to the original creator of the vertical sheet.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5b1h ... UxsUkZlVUk

Master PDF Editor for Linux, and DocHub are applications to edit this, if you don't have another PDF editor.
Thank you for your reply, Darium! I downloaded your horizontal sheet, but I ran into the selfsame problem, my old nemesis: it's a signable form. Last time I tried to use the vertical sheet, which is signable as well. My problem (which I'm starting to think is simply a matter of informatic ignorance, wouldn't be very surprised), is that when I need to save the changes to a character, I need to sign or they'll be lost, and when I try to open the PDF again, it won't allow me to add or change anything b/c it's been already signed.

I'll try to download Master PDF Editor or DocHub and see if I can't solve the problem myself, but I don't have much faith in my computer operations skills :wink:
Clay wrote:Though it’s never specifically stated anywhere, how I personally use the OVA sheet is to fold it in half horizontally, text on the outside (making the Abilities/Weaknesses “page” the cover.) This keeps important stats visible, you can flip it over on the rare occasion you need to reference your fiction, and if you need more space for notes, you just open the “book” and have two pages of room to write. When you’re done, you shut it and your stats are back in easy view.

…but maybe that’s a little quirky for most players! <:)
I think it's brilliant, and when I'll print the sheets for use with my group I'll definitely use them like this - it's very practical! :wink:

XOXO to both of you,
Rosie-
Roswynn d'Cannith
Worthy Tortoise

Just an update:

I googled for a free PDF editor. I found a site called PDFescape. I hand-drew fields everywhere! Then I saved and downloaded the sheet (I still have it).

It still asks me to sign.

I googled for a solution. I found a way to remove a signature once it's already there, but no way to avoid the PDF asking me to sign at all :cry:

I'm gonna ask my friends, but if in the meantime you nice folks find a solution to my 1st world problems I'd be eternally grateful (and, as I mentioned, virtual chocolate chips cookie).

Thanks again!

XOXO,
Rosie-
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Have you tried just using Adobe Acrobat? While the free version can’t CREATE fill-in sheets, I was under the impression it would allow you to fill in sheets that have already been modified for that purpose.

I use the builtin Apple app “Preview” for my PDF reading, so I may be off in that regard.
Roswynn d'Cannith
Worthy Tortoise

Yes, Clay, I definitely can fill in the fields on that kind of sheet.

My problem is that the only fillable OVA sheets I've found till now all need to be signed, so you can't fill in the fields permanently unless you sign, and if you sign you won't be able to access the fields anymore....

... I'm starting to think it'd be easier to just use OpenDocument :roll:
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Yuck, sorry. I’ll do my best to look into that.

It’s a bizarre way to go about it, but you can also use a free image editor to manually type over the document.
Roswynn d'Cannith
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Fillable sheet, anyone? (Solved)

Yo, solved it.

I don't know how it happened. It appears I had those problems because I only had Adobe Reader, if that makes any sense. Some days ago I downloaded Acrobat and now none of those character sheets ask me to sign anything anymore.

I'm very confused by your Terran technology but they're working now, and that's what matters!

Thanks to all of you :wink:

XOXO
Rose-