My first OVA game! Help with Outlaw Star setting

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Gilkarash Chan
Shelled Plebeian

My first OVA game! Help with Outlaw Star setting

Post by Gilkarash Chan »

I have recently been rewatching Outlaw Star and I would really like to run some sort of game in the setting. What sort of stories would you run in it? What types of characters could players make? What are the basics for running Outlaw Star? The players will be making their own characters separate from the shows narrative.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: My first OVA game! Help with Outlaw Star setting

Post by Clay »

Outlaw Star! That brings me back. I actually saw it on DVD instead of its Toonami run many, many moons ago. It had unevenness in its pacing and its animation quality, yet Outlaw Star was so much more than its parts. It was over the top, cool for the sake of cool. Who needs mecha? Let the space ships punch it out! With massive battling arms! That sword? Let’s rend a space train in half with it! Guns that fire special magic bullets? WHY NOT!?

As such, I think Outlaw Star would be very forgiving to a lot of character types. If you can have samurai-inspired characters slicing through machinery, you could certainly have ninjas, martial artist, or any other anime mainstay. Magical Girl? Sure. We already have transforming Ctarl Ctarl’s and mystery ladies who can run space ships. Han Solo-type guy? Well Outlaw Star has that too, obviously! *Gene Starwind cough*

My memory is a little fuzzy on how most episodes went down, but I think any sort of bounty-hunter type scenario would work well. It allows you to give concrete goals for each adventure (Stop this bad guy, find this item) and concrete rewards (Money!). But over time, you could certainly start slipping in an overarching plot. It’s a big universe out there! Just don’t be afraid to be a little ridiculous. Outlaw Star was as much about its absurdity as its sci-fi drama.
Dreamstryder
Worthy Tortoise

Re: My first OVA game! Help with Outlaw Star setting

Post by Dreamstryder »

I originally got OVA while trying to find a system to run an Outlaw Star-like setting.

A lot of the jobs Gene gets have some sort of twist to them: if someone needs a bodyguard for the next 48 hours, expect to be pursued by some transplanetary mafia and your client to be smuggling some living time bomb. Of course, your client wouldn't have revealed this to you from the start...