Pick a character!

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Pick a character!

Post by sniffycrab »

Jade from Beyond good and evil.

Jade A.K.A. Shauni

Abilities
Agile +2
Art of Invisibility +3
Attack +1
Combat Expert +1
Evasive +1
Gear +3 (PA system, Tough +1, Personal Scanner and Camera, Starkos)
Intuitive +1
Pilot +2
Quick +1
Vehicle+2

Weaknesses
Amnesia -1
Guardian -1(Lighthouse Orphans)
Kind Hearted -1
Secret -2 (Works for IRIS)
Servitude -1 (IRIS)

Attacks
Jo Staff AD 5, DX 3 END 0
Effective(+5), Weapon(-5)

Special Attack AD 5, DX 3, END 0
Overwhelming (+10) Effective(+5) Activation (-10) Weapon (-5)

Disc Attack AD 5, DX 2, END 0
Ranged (0)

Note: This is a Jade partway through the game. So she would have spent EXP to increase he levels of Gear and Vehicle.

The PA System is Gear you find that gives you more 'Hearts' in BGaE. You can trade them between your partners to increase their max health at the cost of your own. I treat it as he Gear version of Toughness.

Starkos is a food item you eat to refill 1 heart. I made it into gear. During Combat you may use your urn to eat ONE starkos to regain a flat 10 HP. It counts as unwieldy so your defense is at -1 until your next turn. You may only Eat one Starkos per fight.

I didn't put Jade's partners under companion s I felt they are Heroes/Player characters in their own right. I may submit write ups for them and her hovercraft later.
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Clay wrote:My main goal with the Sample Characters was that they “play nice” together. A mecha pilot archetype, by its nature, ostracizes itself play-wise from anyone else who doesn't have a mecha.″
I suppose that'd depend how much "Screen-time" the Mecha gets...
Zealot Vedas
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Zealot Vedas »

I'm still really new to the system, and haven't had much experience with character creation, but I'm thinking of writing up some characters from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Afro Samurai.

Also, obligatory "hello everyone!" since this is my first post.
Does driving a tank count as a martial art? Does being a tank count as a martial art?
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Hello Zealot!

Well depending on the Stand they would be companions or focus items for the JoJo Bizarre adventure characters.

As for Afro Samurai the characters would be similar to Raine, Shou, or any other weapon expert character. I hope that helps.
Zealot Vedas
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Zealot Vedas »

Thanks for the welcome, and the advice, although I got sidetrack from my original goal. Here's Frank West from Dead Rising instead. Critique is welcome, btw.

Frank West:
Health: 50/Endurance 50/Defence: 3.

Abilities:
+1 Agile
+3 Attack
+1 Charismatic
+3 Combat Expert
+1 Connected
+1 Evasive
+2 Famous
+1 Intuitive
+2 Iron-Willed
+4 Knowledge (Investigative Journalism)
+2 Perception
+1 Tough
+1 Vigorous

Weaknesses:
-1 Ageism
-1 Code of Conduct (Journalistic Integrity)
-2 Compulsion (Finding the Truth)
-4 Dependency (Zombrex)
-2 Hatred (Zombies)
-1 Impulsive
-1 Loner

Attacks:
Brawling: Accurate x1, Low Penetration x1. ROLL 7, DX 4, END 0.

Improvised Weapon: Defensive x1, Effective x1, Activation. ROLL 6, DX 5, END 0.

Camera Flash: Blinding, No Damage. ROLL 6, DX 4, END 0. (DX 4 is kinda moot tho')

Spinning Lariat: Area Effect x1, Effective x2, Unweildy x1. ROLL 6, DX 6, END 15.

Firearms: Armor Piercing x1, Overwhelming, Inaccurate x1. ROLL 5, DX 4, END 10.
Does driving a tank count as a martial art? Does being a tank count as a martial art?
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

Hello. New to OVA, just picked up the book last week. In an attempt to figure out chargen, I've made a sample character. This is a favorite character of Mine, from Super Sentai Shinkenger.

Fuwa Juzo

200 years ago, Juzo was a human master swordsman in life, eventually becoming disenchanted with the ways of bushido and thriving more on the pleasure of killing his opponents in battle. He meets the demon Akumaro who provides him with the katana Uramasa to use as he wishes, seemingly unaware that the blade was reforged from the souls of his family who tried to free him from his blood lust. When he contracts a fatal illness, Juzo enters the Sanzu River to cheat death, completely discarding the goodness in his heart to become a Gedounin, a half-Gedoushu (demon) that can freely exist in both realms and assume a human form or a demonic skeletal samurai form. As a half-breed, Juzo often finds himself as an outsider to both humans and demons.

However, unlike other Gedounin who die out in a few years, Juzo endured over the centuries and thus is condemned with an insatiable urge to sate his lusts or find an ideal opponent, a fellow samurai who strays from the teachings of bushidō, to clash blades with. As a result, Juzo mistakes the blade's cries of sadness for an equal lust, though he later claims that his family has lost their desire to stop him after he entered the Sanzu River.

Defense: 4
Health: 60
Endurance: 40
TV: 20

Abilities (16)
Attack +3 (Uramasa)
Combat Expert +3
Evasive +2
Intimidating +2
Iron Willed +1
Sixth Sense +1
Tough +2
Transformation +2
-Armor +3
-Strong +2
-Unique: Dimension Jump (Sanzu River of the dead, Mortal plane) +2
-Bizarre Appearance -3

Weaknesses (-11)
Emotionless -1
Lecherous -1
Loner -2
Obsession -2
Outcast -2
Unique Weakness: Half a Soul -3

Attacks & Combat Stats
Uramasa Slice: Accurate 1 (+5), Effective 1 (+5), Requirement: Both Hands (-5), Weapon (-5); Roll: 6, DX: 5/7, End: 0
Uramasa Serrated Reverse Blade Slice: Effective 2 (+10), Requirement: Both Hands (-5), Weapon (-5); Roll: 5, DX 6/8, End: 0
Uramasa Wind Cutter Slice: Accurate (+5), Range, Strength-Powered (+5), Requirements: Both Hands (-5), Weapon (-5); Roll: 6, DX, 4/6, End: 0
Uramasa Whirlwind Slice: Area Effect (+10), Requirements: Both Hands (-5), Weapon (-5): Roll: 5, DX: 4/6, End: 0
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

This is one of My usual go-to villains, often in stories with Fuwa Juzo. At first I was concerned about him being unbalanced (that +30/-10), but I figure as a powerful big bad, it should be fine. Right?

Scarabus, Lord of the Resurrected (boss)
The day the demon Scarabus first set foot on our earthly plane is unknown, but the earliest recorded stories of his influence were written around 3300 BC in ancient Egypt. As legend has it, demons must shed their physical form when crossing over into our world, only to be reborn from the lifeless shell of the recently departed. Reborn from the body of his eventual namesake, a scarab beetle, Scarabus bares little resemblance to the creature that granted him new life. Combined with his own hellish visage of horns, hoooves, and a forked tail- glistening golden skin and dangerous pinchers sprouting from his back- are all that remain of the creature that bore him. He is a devastatingly powerful creature able to resurrect the dead, only to transform the sad creatures into his own unholy soldiers. Amassing legions of the undead for millenia, the demon lord has been building an army for some unseen sinister purpose. An integral part of his dark congregation, Scarabus' maniacally malevolent Time Keepers use their Chrono-Hammers to open portals that allow him the ability to vanish and rematerialize at will. It is also rumored that the symbols that adorn his armor (later adopted by the Egyptians as the Eye of Horus) represents Scarabus' ability to gaze into men's souls.

This foul beast, who has also been called Scarabagoth in some texts, has been both worshipped and loathed. He has lurked in the shadows for centuries, surrounded in mystery, with only his closest acolotyes knowing his true purpose. One thing is certain for the rest of us- Scarabus is a dark force that may well usher in the end of days. -the Book of Atellus Chapter 12

Health: 80
Endurance: 100
Defense: 2

Abilities (+30)
Armored +1
Attack +2
Intimidating +3
Magic, Arcane +5
Minions +3
Position of Power +4
Sixth Sense +2
Strong +1
Tough +4
Vigorous +5

Weaknesses (-15)
Arrogant -3
Awkward Size -1
Bizarre Appearance -3
Greedy -2
Infamous -2
Obsession -3

Attacks
Eldritch Flames Continued Effect (+10), Ranged (+0), Affinity: Fire; Roll: 2, DX: x3, End: 10
-Scarabus is able to throw green flames from his hands
Ray of Scarabus' Staff Area Effect (+10), Ranged (+0), Build-Up (-5) Weapon (-5); Roll: 2, DX: x3, End: 0
-From the jewel mounted on the top of Scarabus' staff emits deadly rays, striking down multiple foes.
Blade of Scarabus' Spear Accurate (+5), Weapon (-5); Roll:3, DX: x4, End: 0
-The head of Scarabus' staff can change into a spear for him to strike with.
Last edited by Malancthon on Mon May 15, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

The Queen of Blades (boss)

"I am the Swarm. Armies will be shattered. Worlds will burn. Now at last, on this world, vengeance shall be mine. For I am the Queen of Blades."
- Kerrigan leading the zerg

Sarah Louise Kerrigan was a psychic terran female. She began her career as a Confederate ghost and later became the second-in-command of the Sons of Korhal. Following Arcturus Mengsk's betrayal, she was captured and infested by the Zerg Swarm, ultimately becoming the self-proclaimed Queen of Blades and leader of the Swarm.

Abilities (30)
Armored +2
Attack +3
Beautiful +1
Combat Expert +2
Evasive +2
Flight +1
Knowledge (Zerg) +2 (half points)
Minions +3
Position of Power +4
Psychic +5
Strong +1
Telekinesis +2
Tough +1
Vigorous +2

Weaknesses (-25)
Arrogant -2
Awkward Size -1 (Wingspan)
Bizarre Appearance -3 (Terran/Zerg Hybrid)
Code of Conduct -2 (Zerg Attitude)
Hatred -2 (Mengsk)
Infamous -2 (Queen of Blades)
Love Interest -3 (Raynor)
Obsession -2 (Revenge)
Outcast -2 (Human and Protess)
Rival -3 (Amon)
Unique Weakness -3 (Prophicized Importance)

Attacks & Combat Stats
Kinetic Blast: Multiple Targets (+10), Ranged (+0); Buildup (-5), Elaborate Gestures (-5); Roll: 4, DX: 4, End: 0
Wing Blades: Armor Piercing (+5), Reach (+5); Activation (-10); Roll: 4, DX: 5, End: 0
Primal Grasp: Unique: Drawing (+5), Ranged )+0); Elaborate Gestures (-5); Roll: 4, DX: 4, End: 0
Impaling Spikes: Area-Effect (+10); Delayed (-5); Roll: 4, DX: 4, End 5

Health: 50
Endurance: 60

Minions
Zergling (+1)
Small and fast, Zerglings are quickly grown to rush the enemy.
Attributes: Agile +1, Attack +2, Quick +1; Bizare Appearance -3; Health/Endurance: 10/10

Ultralisk (+2)
The heavy grunt of the Zerg monsters, a few of these can destroy anything.
Attributes: Armored +3, Attack +3, Combat Mastery +2; Awkward Size -3, Bizarre Appearance -3; Health/Endurance: 20/20
Last edited by Malancthon on Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

A favorite hero of Mine.

Kamen Rider Black (click me)
After suffering a body-altering surgery to make him the host of ancient evil and barely escaping, Kotaro Minami refuses his destiny to be the king of evil! Kotaro appears to be an easy-going spirit, travelling the world on his motorcycle, and is quick to laugh and make friends. But when evil rears it's ugly head and monsters threaten the tears and hopes of the innocent, Kotaro's spirit burns with anger, transforming into the super warrior known as Kamen Rider Black! With incredible strength and an unbreakable spirit, Black fights on alone in the name of justice!

Health: 40
TV: 13

Abilities (13)
Attack +1 (Unarmed)
Combat Expert +1
Evasive +2
Iron Willed +2
Passion +2 (Justice)
Pilot +2
Strong +1
Transformation +2
-Armor +2
-Heightened Sense +1 (Sight)
-Heightened Sense +1 (Vision)
-Strong +2
-Bizarre Appearance -2

Weaknesses (-8)
Kind-Hearted -1
Hatred -2 (Golgom)
Loner -1
Obsession -1 (Save Shadow Moon)
Rival -2 (Shadow Moon)
Secret -1 (Kamen Rider)

Attacks
Kingstone Flash! Ranged (+0), Stunning (+10); Elaborate Gestures (-5); Roll: 3, DX: 2, End: 5
Rider Punch! Accurate (+5); Roll: 4, DX: 5, End: 5
Rider Kick! Accurate x2 (+10), Effective x2 (+10); Finisher (-10); Roll: 5, DX: 7, End: 10
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

One more for today.

In space, no one can hear you scream...

Xenomorph Queen

Abilities (12)
Armored +3
Attack +2
Minions +1
Quick +1
Strong +3
Toughness +2

Weaknesses (-9)
Awkward Size -2
Bizarre Appearance -3
Emotionless -3
Vulnerability -1 (Fire)

With Eggsac
Minions +4
Guardian -1 (Hive/eggs)
Restricted Freedom -3

Attacks & Combat Stats
Acid Blood: Armor Penetrating (+5), Continued Effect (+10), Effective (+5); Break (-10); Roll: 3, DX: 4, End: 10
Claws and Tail: Reach (+5); Elaborate Gestures (-5); Roll: 3, DX: 6, End: 0
Defense: 3
Health: 60

A queen's minions will usually be facehuggers but drones and warriors can be summoned instead, using the 'combined' option.

Xenomorph drone/warrior (+2)*

Abilities
Armored +2
Attack +1
Art of Invisibiliity +2
Strong +2
Quick +2

Weaknesses
Bizarre Appearance -3
Emotionless -3
Vulnerability -1 (Fire)

Attacks & Combat Stats
Acid Blood: Armor Penetrating (+5), Continued Effect (+10), Effective (+5); Break (-10); Roll: 3, DX: 4, End: 10
Claws and Tail: Reach (+5); Elaborate Gestures (-5); Roll: 3, DX: 6, End: 0
Health: 20 (40)
Endurance: 20 (40)
*A drone or a warrior will usually be considered a secondary NPC useful for the Minion ability or for more action oriented encounters. A warrior or a drone can be increased to a heroic NPC to replicate a horror survival themed encounter.

Xenomorph chestburster (+1)
Attributes: Attack +1, Quick +3, Unique Ability +3 (morphs into drone/warrior); Bizarre Appearance -3, Emotionless -3, Vulnerability -1 (Fire); Health/Endurance: 10/10

Xenomorph facehugger (+1)
Attributes: Agile +2, Quick +2, Unique Ability +3 (impregnate with chestburster); Bizarre Appearance -3, Emotionless -3; Health/Endurance: 10/10

The unique ability to impregnate serves as an attack (Roll: 7). When successful, the victim has been facehugged, during which the victim is unconscious while the facehugger implants an embryo, which usually takes about an hour, afterwards the facehugger falls off and dies. The embryo gestates in the victim for (Health+endurance/10) hrs, and then bursts out of the host as a chestburster, killing the victim.